96) Richard LeCounte, FS, UGA
120) James Hudson, OT, Cincinnati
122) Marvin Wilson, DT, FSU
139) Tommy Kraemer, OG, ND
177) Caden Sterns, SS, Texas
188) Chris Rumph, DE, Duke
197) Cornell Powell, WR, Clemson
242) CJ Marable, RB, Coastal Carolina

UDFAs: Shawn Davis, FS, Florida; Jacoby Stevens, SS, LSU; Deon Jackson, RB, Duke; Tuf Borland, LB, Ohio State; Noah Gray, TE, Duke; Ben Mason, FB, Michigan; Luke Farrell, TE, Ohio State; Jake Funk, RB, Maryland; Tamarrion Terry, WR, FSU

In hindsight, this was silly

There will be a ton of trades (likely moving up) and limited roster spots

Can't wait, what a start to the offseason
I can just see Asante Samuel Jr. dropping an interception in the last two minutes of Super Bowl LVIII, leading to a Pats loss.

I had Lance & Pitts at 15! I didn't this solely in mind taking no QB & win now with what we have and know after FA. I would have love to get either. Even pass on Lance since it was no QB and put Pitts at the X, NA at Z/slot with Smith & Henry. I got a haul though.
View attachment 31274
How does this fit in your Patriots Type Player board?

Just got this on the PFN site (obviously some trades in there), rankings are waaayy different than the PFF sim. No idea if this is good or not but man it's addicting.

Christian Barmore
DT Alabama

Alex Leatherwood
OT Alabama

Terrace Marshall Jr.
WR LSU

Davis Mills
QB Stanford

Cameron McGrone
LB Michigan

Tyree Gillespie
S Missouri

David Moore
OG Grambling State

Kary Vincent Jr.
CB LSU

Simi Fehoko
WR Stanford

I got aggressive and traded up for our new QB. Then sat back and let it all fall into place. I know it’s extremely unlikely some of these guys fall to here but crazier things have happened.

05272C64-1362-487C-B0A7-DC78898AF04B.png

If I were able to, I would have packaged 177 and 188 to move up and draft OG/C David Moore from Grambling State. Then FB Ben Mason from Michigan at 197 but neither guy is listed on PFF.

How does this fit in your Patriots Type Player board?
I'm not sure I follow? Most of the guys are on there. I promise I'll update it soon. I'm actually looking at testing numbers everyday to narrow down our types. Work just sux donkey balls.

Glad to see ya back Manx. I just don’t trust any qb’s except Lawrence. I don’t want to lose next year’s first if qb can’t cut it.

Agree about Zaven Collins. He’s our guy unless Parsons slips to 15.

1. Collins
2. Mond - Put him at Bama and they’re undefeated. Put him at NDSU and he has crazy stats. Dak 2.0

3. Marvin Wilson - DT FSU
4. Tre Brown - CB - Oklahoma
4. De metric Felton - RB/WR -UCLA
He played WR at Senior Bowl.
4.Quinn Meinerz - G Wisconsin Whitewater

Not sure about rest yet
I’m fine trading up if it’s for the right QB. This is probably the closest we’ll get to drafting a franchise guy so I hope BB makes it count. I dread being stuck in a perpetual .500/draft a middling QB cycle. If he identifies THE GUY, move heaven and earth to get him. Having said that, I’m not going to watch anyone this year* before the draft so I’ll take your word on Mond. Chris Simms agrees with you. And thanks.

* Got fed up with BB not doing what I wanted :) . Harry ahead of McLaurin was the straw that broke my back. Maybe next year.

just found this from Lance Zierlein’s scouting report on Mond:

“However, the 2020 offense featured a strong rushing attack paired with play-action, where he not only found greater confidence and rhythm as a passer”

Which seems like an ideal description of what the Patriot’s offence will become now.

Last edited:
1616398865189.png
#5 Justin Fields QB. Rumor lately is that the Patriots are very high on Mr. Fields. Could be a total smokescreen, but if it's true, let's move on up for our future franchise QB. Positives: Good arm strength, accuracy, and athleticism to make plays with his feet. At 6'3 230 lbs, he has the body to absorb a few hits. Questions: Needs to develop field vision, and improve reaction to the blitz, has limited experience in terms of playing time. Overall Fields carries a very high upside, but not without risks. His pro comparison is Deshaun Watson... without the sexual assault charges. Too soon? :p

#41 Zaven Collins LB. Yes Hightower is back. But it never hurts to increase the linebacker depth. Collins has the typical size that the Patriots covet at 6'4 260. And he's also very athletic and rangy. Might be a young version of Mayo with his sideline to sideline capabilities. Seems a good target in round 2.

#76 Joseph Ossai DE. At 6'2 253, Ossai doesn't exactly have the size the Pats usually want to set the edge but that's why we signed Judon. Ossai could help rush the passer from the weak side. Has a tremendous motor and some upside to pressure the passer. He could also be a candidate to make the switch to OLB.

#106 Sage Surrat WR. Standing 6'3 215 lbs, Sage has the physical size attributes and leaping ability to high point the ball in the red zone. He also displays decent route running traits but questions still remain on his ability to create separation.

#120 Trey Smith G. At 6'5 331 Smith presents a powerful body who could help bolster the Pats run blocking game. Smith displays great strength in his upper body and hand punch but needs to clean up his base and his footwork.

#139 Jay Tufele DL. The 6'3 315 lb defensive lineman, described by some as a dancing bear, is disruptive and athletic for his size. He mainly plays the 3 technique so he probably overlaps with players like Anderson however adding depth to the DL never hurts.

#177 Rhamondre Stevenson HB. Standing at 6' 247, Stevenson is a stout powerful runner. The Patriots need more depth at RB and Stevenson offers them a power running, short yardage option. He seems to display decent hands too, catching for 200 yards and 11 ypc on top of his 665 yards and 7 TDs for the Sooners. Rounding out the RB room with a different type of talent could help this offense grind out the short down and distances. His physical attributes reminds me of a young Lagarette Blount.

Last edited:
I've been doing lots of mock drafts this year across multiple sites. Here are a few good sites that have some pretty good mock draft software that I've been using

1. 2021 NFL Mock Draft | Fanspeak On The Clock Simulator (probly my favorite one, since you can load different player rankings, etc but limited trading)
2. Our Mock NFL Draft Results | The Draft Network (this one has great writeups on the players, which helps get background on them, etc and you can do trades)
3. 2021 NFL Mock Draft Simulator | PFF (can do trades with this one, but they don't give you summary of players you drafted. Drafting experience isnt as good, they dont provide as much info at your fingertips, but good for trade simulations)

For the trades, I'm not sure if they're factoring those off of the official NFL point value system for picks (I would hope so, Fanspeak has been around awhile), and I'm not sure how accurate the trades actually are, or how realistic the player rankings/drafting is in some cases (ie; Some sims I traded up to pick #5 to get Justin Fields, then other times he would fall to me at pick #15 which i think is an impossibility)

Anyways, here are some of my favorite mock sims so far that i would be pleased with;

Fanspeak: (couldnt resist value pick for OT Dillon. Highly unlikely Justin Fields falls to #15 so this is unrealistic to me)
1616424612984.png

TheDraftNetwork: (might be possible Lance could fall this far. Stevenson looks like a road grader, north/south RB that would compliment the 2 we have now)

1616424753966.png

Fanspeak: (5 rounds)
1616424871859.png

Thanks again @BaconGrundleCandy for your 2021 draft rankings, I used that as a basis to start doing mock simulations to learn about players. TheDraftNetwork website isn't my favorite in terms of the overall process, but i do love the player summaries it provides for every single player, even ones in the later rounds (most of the sites stop providing useful info on players after about round 3)

Since I don't watch college football, this is how I have learned about all of the upcoming draft prospects each year and try to become somewhat knowledgeable about each player. This is the process that made me fall in love with Calvin Ridley and AJ Brown, who we unfortunately didn't draft.

Looking forward to seeing what we do this year! Round 4 in most of my mocks seemed to have quite a bunch of quality players, and the Patriots have all 3 picks relatively close to each other

Some of these player rankings really create some wild draft outcomes in simulations

1616433284165.png

I could have probably waited on Lance in this draft, and it was on "Difficult" setting, whatever that means lol

No way Lance would go in Round 2, and no way Baron would drop to end of round 3

Only drafted Rashon Bateman because it was the first time i had seen him available at pick 15, and he was rated like 8th overall with this particular player ranking that I simulated off of

Some of these player rankings really create some wild draft outcomes in simulations

View attachment 31490

I could have probably waited on Lance in this draft, and it was on "Difficult" setting, whatever that means lol

No way Lance would go in Round 2, and no way Baron would drop to end of round 3
Agree
Only drafted Rashon Bateman because it was the first time i had seen him available at pick 15, and he was rated like 8th overall with this particular player ranking that I simulated off of
I like him but not there. In a trade down to 24-32 but not at 15 tbh. Draft is deep and he is no smith or waddle caliber to me. And with a deep draft I wouldn't go for another WR who is not named chase smith or waddle that early. Glad you got Lance but in top 7. Browning and Weaver are good selections as well as Stills. The others idk much about

I got aggressive and traded up for our new QB. Then sat back and let it all fall into place. I know it’s extremely unlikely some of these guys fall to here but crazier things have happened.

View attachment 31480

If I were able to, I would have packaged 177 and 188 to move up and draft OG/C David Moore from Grambling State. Then FB Ben Mason from Michigan at 197 but neither guy is listed on PFF.

I reslly like this draft. Love getting horn in the second Round. And I would be ecstatic to get brown and van lanten for the offensive line.

I’m fine trading up if it’s for the right QB. This is probably the closest we’ll get to drafting a franchise guy so I hope BB makes it count. I dread being stuck in a perpetual .500/draft a middling QB cycle. If he identifies THE GUY, move heaven and earth to get him. Having said that, I’m not going to watch anyone this year* before the draft so I’ll take your word on Mond. Chris Simms agrees with you. And thanks.

* Got fed up with BB not doing what I wanted :) . Harry ahead of McLaurin was the straw that broke my back. Maybe next year.

just found this from Lance Zierlein’s scouting report on Mond:

“However, the 2020 offense featured a strong rushing attack paired with play-action, where he not only found greater confidence and rhythm as a passer”

Which seems like an ideal description of what the Patriot’s offence will become now.
I thought you were an AJ Brown guy. I wanted Deebo.

Even when trading up for 1st or 2nd pick it may not work. Jameis, Mariota, Goff, Wenzhou and I’m not sold on Baker Mayfield either. It’s sooooooo easy to play qb when surrounded by premier talent. It just makes evaluation process tough.

I thought you were an AJ Brown guy. I wanted Deebo.

Even when trading up for 1st or 2nd pick it may not work. Jameis, Mariota, Goff, Wenzhou and I’m not sold on Baker Mayfield either. It’s sooooooo easy to play qb when surrounded by premier talent. It just makes evaluation process tough.
I liked Brown for sure but I loved McLaurin.

I am getting some Super Bowl vibes here

1616619777372.png

I like looking at various scenarios, not just at what I'd want to do. This is my shot at a draft after we trade Gilmore for Jimmy G (not that I think it's likely, or that I'd prefer to do that; I'm just playing with ideas and implications).

1616770098090.png

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back