PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 Dolphins vs Patriots pre game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would Bill ever consider having 2 active kickers on the game day roster? Let Folk handle the extra points and let Nordin handle the long distances. Roster has increased to 48 so maybe Bill tries something new in his golf bag.

Me yesterday: The Patriots will put Perry on IR to open up a spot since they want more than two guys from the PS

Patriots today: Put Perry on IR, but then leave his roster spot open o_O

I wonder if Wilkerson gets the roster spot, especially with Agholor’s wonky ankle.

I said when they cut Hoyer it was probably to avoid giving him the guaranteed salary. I think when Stidham is healthy and off PUP, he will be Mac Jones’ back up. I think Hoyer will either go back to PUP or given a job on the coaching staff.

favored by 3 seems right, by 6 if we had re-signed McCourty

In hindsight, they should have re-signed McCourty or another starter quality CB. But at the time, I didn’t have a problem with letting him walk. He wasn’t great last year.

Dan Reeves was the last NFL Player-Coach over 50 years ago, could Hoyer be the next?

Would Bill ever consider having 2 active kickers on the game day roster? Let Folk handle the extra points and let Nordin handle the long distances. Roster has increased to 48 so maybe Bill tries something new in his golf bag.

I don’t see it. This isn’t the Colts and I think Belichick values game day roster spots too much.

I think Nordin is only on the active roster because Belichick doesn’t think he can cut him and sneak him to the practice squad and the new practice squad rules allow him to place Folk there.

After reading Josh McDaniel's compliments about new TE'S Smith and Henry I went to Wikipedia to read their bios. The are both 26 years old and both are getting $12.5 million a year so hopefully they truly have each others back as teammates. I was impressed with Smith's intelligence as I can't remember any NFL players using the term 2 alpha males.

Jesus. Talk about cheaping out on Hoyer. Poor bastard. He's basically treated like a stooge.
1631398930744.gif

What the hell are you talking about? He was a free agent and was free to sign with any team but chose to re-sign with the patriots, on the PS. Even this week, he was free to sign with any team. It is highly likely that Bill told him exactly how this week, and possibly the first several weeks, would play out.

No other teams were knocking down Hoyer’s door in order to throw guaranteed money at him. Belichick’s only obligation is to do what is best for the TEAM, not for any individual player and waiting to add Hoyer to the 53 is what is best for the team at this point. Hoyer can only be elevated to the game day roster from the PS one other time, so he will likely be assigned to the 53 by week 3 at the latest. He is also likely to remain on the 53 for the rest of the season, to act as a mentor for Mac, so Brian will be just fine in the end.

Try again.

View attachment 35571

What the hell are you talking about? He was a free agent and was free to sign with any team but chose to re-sign with the patriots, on the PS. Even this week, he was free to sign with any team. It is highly likely that Bill told him exactly how this week, and possibly the first several weeks, would play out.

No other teams were knocking down Hoyer’s door in order to throw guaranteed money at him. Belichick’s only obligation is to do what is best for the TEAM, not for any individual player and waiting to add Hoyer to the 53 is what is best for the team at this point. Hoyer can only be elevated to the game day roster from the PS one other time, so he will likely be assigned to the 53 by week 3 at the latest. He is also likely to remain on the 53 for the rest of the season, to act as a mentor for Mac, so Brian will be just fine in the end.

Try again.
Welcome back.

It would not surprise me. I think he wants to see more of Nordin, but not at the cost of a W. So carrying them both and choising who to call depending on game situation seems possible to me.

The season opener against Miami will unfold just as the football Sith Lord Belichick foresaw in his game planning.

Just as the team building unfolded as he foresaw when he went all in on free agency without picking up a QB, correctly predicting that a good candidate would fall to him in the draft, to be rewarded for his faith by the football gods gracing him with the perfect match for his needs in Mac Jones.

Now he faces the Miami Dolphins with excellence in the trenches on both sides of the line of scrimmage, and serviceable or better rosters in most other positions. His strategy is simple: win quickly with enough power to overwhelm at the point of attack and leave no time for the opponents to develop offensive plays or react defensively.

On offense his rookie QB will be unleashed with an up tempo offense featuring personnel groupings able to either run or pass, finesse or overpower, out of a no huddle without substitutions. The plays will be nothing fancy or unusual, just enough to move the chains and keep the defense back on their heels. Long grind it out drives, wearing the opposing defense down and keeping the opposing offense off the field.

When the Dolphins are on offense the Patriots will shift and morph, perhaps featuring the Amoeba Defense to confuse blocking assignments, and always with the potential for an overwhelming rush when needed. I expect a mix of coverages, various disguises and schemes to make Tua hesitate processing his reads and give time for the rush to generate pressure. The Covid situation on Miami’s OL will be a factor as depth and stamina are affected.

Folk and Nordin will both be active, and who is called upon will depend on game situation at the moment. Belichick wants to see what the rookie does under game pressure but he won’t sacrifice a W to find out. So Folk will be used if things are tight and the game is on the line, Nordin will only be used early or if there’s plenty of slack on the scoreboard. That may not fuel Nordin’s confidence but it also won’t subject him to the crushing disappointment of a game losing missed kick.

Gunner will return punts, probably see JJ or perhaps Bourne returning kickoffs. Coverage teams will be the usual quality.

If the Pats win the coin toss don’t be surprised if Belichick elects to receive the opening kickoff, to throw Mac into the fire immediately.

I’ll be interested in the OL. Does Karras come in to spell the others or does the starting 6 play throughout ? Is Andrews well enough to start ?

Two new TEs, a rookie RB to supplement the established core, and an OL that should be top 5 in the league… Mac needs to trust in them and throw when needed - but I’m advocating the run, run, run.

We are gonna roll today.

30-13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back