PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 Dolphins vs Patriots pre game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So instead of "Bradys corner" at Gillette is it going to be called "Mac's corner" now?

This upsets me. We are ranked 13th. Tell me we can win the AFC and contend for a title this year, please. I think we can, i think we can.... We should beat Miami by a touchdown i.m.o.

So the Phins fans overall consensus is that this game is going to be a cake walk and Mac is going to fold under their pass rush and Tua is going to throw all over our secondary, and we don't have any receivers that can ball against their corners.

I dont know how Mac is going to play, but I dont see him folding. He's played in bigger games than many of these Dolphin players already.

I also don't see BB not getting Mac ready for the Phins D. It's going to be a rough game, but I dont think the Phins Oline holds up and that's going to be the difference.

So the Phins fans overall consensus is that this game is going to be a cake walk and Mac is going to fold under their pass rush and Tua is going to throw all over our secondary, and we don't have any receivers that can ball against their corners.

I dont know how Mac is going to play, but I dont see him folding. He's played in bigger games than many of these Dolphin players already.

I also don't see BB not getting Mac ready for the Phins D. It's going to be a rough game, but I dont think the Phins Oline holds up and that's going to be the difference.
I don't think either of their lines holds up well. BB built this team to dominate the LoS on both sides.

I watched a video on YouTube showing every pass Tua made this preseason. Personally i didn't see a great deal of improvement. I think he has improved a bit but it is a very small amount. He is still making the same mistakes he did as a rookie almost as often and his accuracy is barely better. Frankly it isn't the 2 year jump you want. I wasn't high on Tua last seadon amd i don't see it changing much. He was a weak link that Tebow'd his way to a 6-3 record. He had 1 good game last year and the rest were unimpressive at best.

I unless Mac massively craps the bed i don't see Miami getting the massive QB edge they desperately need to pull off a win.

It's around 1am and I can't sleep, so I started reading this thread and thought I'd add some disjointed thoughts to the mix

when Bill came to NE in 2000, his goal was to build a team with strong offensive and defensive lines, with big physical LB, and a solid 2ndary anchored by a shut down CB. Basically he wanted to build a team that would physically beat the sh!t out of you, win or lose. I remember back in the first few years of the dynasty, I would track the results of teams' that we played next games. And IIRC it wasn't very good.

Well now we are being told that this is a different NFL - Teams are being build around their QB's and WR's and to combat that defenses are going to more athletic DL's and more athletic 230lb LB's And now as we enter our first week of preparation for a game that counts here is what I THINK Bill has decided to do. With respect to George Costanza, Bill wants to do the OPPOSITE

Bill has always been the trend setter in the league. We played a 3-4 when 90% of teams only used a 4-3. He was one of the first to run 5 wides He started what we called the amoeba defense, and those are just 3 off the top of my head, The point is Bill usually is setting the trend rather than follow it.

So this is why I think in this game Bill is going to just try and beat the snot out of the Dolphins front 7 on offense and their OL on defense. They will be a run first offense (I only say this to prove I have a keen sense of the obvious) with the goal of winning every 4th quarter by attrition. And win or lose make sure the team you play remembers you and takes their lumps with them to their next game, So Romo is right, we will NOT be a team that our opponents will look forward to playing.

So I thing you will see periods of this game where we will run the hurry up offense - Not all the time but Bill believes that suddenly changing the pace of the game can put a defense off balance for a drive.

Last year the Pats ran man coverage around 56% of the time, One of the highest rates in the league, So even though the secondary is thin at CB, I don't see that changing, Double Parker, single the other WR, and beat the crap out of Waddle in the slot and hope your LB's can contain the TE, Our front 7 is infinitely better than what we had out their by the end of last season. Our best pass rusher from last season, will find it hard to get on the field. But unfortunately it might take some time for this unit to get in sync.

I think the Dolphin's strength on offense is their WR's and on defense their secondary, I think Bill will do everything in his power to make Tua uncomfortable at the LOS before the snap. Make him question what he is seeing. I think we will see them us overload biltzes (a la Rex Ryan and disguise them as balanced. I don't think the dolphins OL is that good and can be attacked The Pats will mix up various zone and man coverages (there are more than one, Ralphie) and vary attacking with 5 or 6 and dropping 8. If you noticed Bill brought in guys that can play multiple positions, especially in the LB group. Bill will use that making "finding the Mike" more difficult, 54 won's always be the Mike

On offense we will run the ball. I wouldn't be surprised to see 30+ running plays in this game. But it won't be just a run up the middle or off tackle, though those will certainly occur. But I think Josh will be creative in the run games. I liked some of those slight delay runs that we saw in the Giants scrimmage. The Dolphins will likely be playing a lot of 8 in the box early on, daring the Pats to throw the ball.

Well you can run successfully against 8 man fronts, but you have to be patient, and be somewhat successful in your pass game. I will look more closely this coming Sunday at how well Mac runs his fakes on PAP's I want to see more routes like that TE drag against the flow to Assiasi. I want to see what that looks like with Smith or Henry running it.

We haven't seen what this two TE offense looks like because we have had 2 TE's available all preseason. It's a mystery to me, but its also a myster for the Dolphins. I just hope that on Tuesday when the list who's there, Henry and Smith are among the present.

OK it's now 3am and I HAVE to get some sleep. Busy day tomorrow. But on a personal note. I've been having migraine headaches recently so I went to get and MRI on my head and see a neurologist. Understand that I played Tackle football for 10 years (4HS, I can honestly say that in EVERY play I attempted a tackle or met a blocker, I led with my head. In HS, I played offense too and led with my head on every attempted block. I will say I never hit anyone with the top of my head but rather my facemask. And that doesn't count the 25 odd years I played defenseman in club lacrosse. . That being said, when the neurologist reviewed my MRI she said she had rarely seen a brain as healthy looking as mine for a man my age, especially given my athletic experience..

Well the good news is my brain is as healthy as I have a right to expect and the headaches have seem to have dissipated. The bad news is I no longer have any excuse for forgetting my keys, wallet, phone, etc all the time. It's like when I tell my friends about how I played football ,they usual reply is "well THAT explains a lot," I have a Trumpie friend who feels its responsible fore me voting for Biden. What do I say to them now. ;)

Last edited:
It's around 1am and I can't sleep, so I started reading this thread and thought I'd add some disjointed thoughts to the mix

when Bill came to NE in 2000, his goal was to build a team with strong offensive and defensive lines, with big physical LB, and a solid 2ndary anchored by a shut down CB. Basically he wanted to build a team that would physically beat the sh!t out of you, win or lose. I remember back in the first few years of the dynasty, I would track the results of teams' that we played next games. And IIRC it wasn't very good.

Well now we are being told that this is a different NFL - Teams are being build around their QB's and WR's and to combat that defenses are going to more athletic DL's and more athletic 230lb LB's And now as we enter our first week of preparation for a game that counts here is what I THINK Bill has decided to do. With respect to George Costanza, Bill wants to do the OPPOSITE

Bill has always been the trend setter in the league. We played a 3-4 when 90% of teams only used a 4-3. He was one of the first to run 5 wides He started what we called the amoeba defense, and those are just 3 off the top of my head, The point is Bill usually is setting the trend rather than follow it.

So this is why I think in this game Bill is going to just try and beat the snot out of the Dolphins front 7 on offense and their OL on defense. They will be a run first offense (I only say this to prove I have a keen sense of the obvious) with the goal of winning every 4th quarter by attrition. And win or lose make sure the team you play remembers you and takes their lumps with them to their next game, So Romo is right, we will NOT be a team that our opponents will look forward to playing.

So I thing you will see periods of this game where we will run the hurry up offense - Not all the time but Bill believes that suddenly changing the pace of the game can put a defense off balance for a drive.

Last year the Pats ran man coverage around 56% of the time, One of the highest rates in the league, So even though the secondary is thin at CB, I don't see that changing, Double Parker, single the other WR, and beat the crap out of Waddle in the slot and hope your LB's can contain the TE, Our front 7 is infinitely better than what we had out their by the end of last season. Our best pass rusher from last season, will find it hard to get on the field. But unfortunately it might take some time for this unit to get in sync.

I think the Dolphin's strength on offense is their WR's and on defense their secondary, I think Bill will do everything in his power to make Tua uncomfortable at the LOS before the snap. Make him question what he is seeing. I think we will see them us overload biltzes (a la Rex Ryan and disguise them as balanced. I don't think the dolphins OL is that good and can be attacked The Pats will mix up various zone and man coverages (there are more than one, Ralphie) and vary attacking with 5 or 6 and dropping 8. If you noticed Bill brought in guys that can play multiple positions, especially in the LB group. Bill will use that making "finding the Mike" more difficult, 54 won's always be the Mike

On offense we will run the ball. I wouldn't be surprised to see 30+ running plays in this game. But it won't be just a run up the middle or off tackle, though those will certainly occur. But I think Josh will be creative in the run games. I liked some of those slight delay runs that we saw in the Giants scrimmage. The Dolphins will likely be playing a lot of 8 in the box early on, daring the Pats to throw the ball.

Well you can run successfully against 8 man fronts, but you have to be patient, and be somewhat successful in your pass game. I will look more closely this coming Sunday at how well Mac runs his fakes on PAP's I want to see more routes like that TE drag against the flow to Assiasi. I want to see what that looks like with Smith or Henry running it.

We haven't seen what this two TE offense looks like because we have had 2 TE's available all preseason. It's a mystery to me, but its also a myster for the Dolphins. I just hope that on Tuesday when the list who's there, Henry and Smith are among the present.

OK it's now 3am and I HAVE to get some sleep. Busy day tomorrow. But on a personal note. I've been having migraine headaches recently so I went to get and MRI on my head and see a neurologist. Understand that I played Tackle football for 10 years (4HS, I can honestly say that in EVERY play I attempted a tackle or met a blocker, I led with my head. In HS, I played offense too and led with my head on every attempted block. I will say I never hit anyone with the top of my head but rather my facemask. And that doesn't count the 25 odd years I played defenseman in club lacrosse. . That being said, when the neurologist reviewed my MRI she said she had rarely seen a brain as healthy looking as mine for a man my age, especially given my athletic experience..

Well the good news is my brain is as healthy as I have a right to expect and the headaches have seem to have dissipated. The bad news is I no longer have any excuse for forgetting my keys, wallet, phone, etc all the time. It's like when I tell f of my football friends about how I played football ,the usual reply is "well THAT explains a lot," I have a Trumpie friend who feels its responsible fore me voting for Biden. What do I say to them now. ;)
Just go on telling them the same thing. No one needs to know you got the brain scan.

I have a nagging suspicion we start the game throwing the ball out of play action. And then go into heavy run. But we will see if BB throws the rookie to the fire

This upsets me. We are ranked 13th. Tell me we can win the AFC and contend for a title this year, please. I think we can, i think we can.... We should beat Miami by a touchdown i.m.o.
13 IS contending. I think they were very generous to New England - in two places ranking teams behind them and noting a tough schedule for those teams, they called New England a playoff team from last year.

Last edited:

No rookie qb has ever reached a superbowl let alone won one. I know that starting rookie qbs normally are on bad teams and we are an anomaly in that regard but we are a massive unknown quantity in so many ways. I love the positivity on here but the Dolphins are a good team and i think it's a tough first game for Mac.

Brady debut as starter vs Colts: 13/23 168 yards 79 rating

Mac over or under for his debut? :)
In 2001 ? Prob similar. In 2021-CRaZY-offense-lovers-world : way over

Jokes on them. We don’t give a crap about their secondary as they’ll be busy trying to tackle Rham n Harris all afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back