PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2020 season prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a lot of love for TB in this thread. At some point, the man will indeed be all of his 43 years. I think there's a good chance he gets them to the NFCCG. Like Montana drew Marcus Allen to KC, Brady drew Gronk. I think asking him to get #7 is a tall order. I know every time someone has bet against him, he comes out on top (mostly). I question whether or not he can stay healthy at this age.
He was all of 42 and then some in the second half of last year. People seem to be ignoring that.

Hate to say this, but I agree with those that say we’ll be lucky to win 8. Not much to be hopeful about on offense. Pretty substandard at WR, QB, and TE. While the starting OL looks good outside of RT, no depth there I’d want to use anytime soon. On D, I think the LB corps is going to be a fatal flaw. Not enough playmakers in there. The deep DL will help BB maybe craft a D that utilizes more linemen, but I still don’t think the front 7 are going to be anything to write home about. Meh - a pretty mediocre team in most areas...

My pessimistic take:

Opponents won't be able to pass well against a crazy good cornerback squad, but will run all day against a so-what DL and a weak LB corp chasing RBs from behind. A lot of games where the opponent's Offense has massive time of possession as we all watch six yard run after six yard run in a boring and frustrating slog to defeat.

Did I get that right? Would love to hear an X and O guy predict what it will look like.

My pessimistic take:

Opponents won't be able to pass well against a crazy good cornerback squad, but will run all day against a so-what DL and a weak LB corp chasing RBs from behind. A lot of games where the opponent's Offense has massive time of possession as we all watch six yard run after six yard run in a boring and frustrating slog to defeat.

Did I get that right? Would love to hear an X and O guy predict what it will look like.

They got to the SB with a interior LB group of Flowers, Grigsby and Elandon Roberts after losing Hightower in 2017. The interior DL was also not much more stout with Malcom Brown, Adam Butler as a rookie and Ricky Jean Francois. Oh yeah and with Alan Branch at Panda Express somewhere.

In other words they have shown that they can coach around that. Doesn't mean it will work out like in 2017.

My usual prediction is between 10 & 13 wins.. will pare it down a bit and go with between 9 & 12 wins..

BB has been building this team to cope with the new qb's Mahomes, Jackson, Murray, Tua etc... thus more safeties than usual and high grade d-backs.. this team will be better than expected and transition from a high capability offense to an adequate offense the Pats D will be very good.

Thinking 10 wins for the Pats is about right. I expect the offense to be better than 2019 (provided the line stays healthy). Pass offense will be inconsistent, run game will be significantly improved between Newton and Harris, who I predict will emerge in year 2 similarly to Stevan Ridley in 2012. Defense will experience some frustrating moments early on as the kids in the front 7 learn to communicate, but the defensive backs will shut it down again. Run D remains suspect, but only an elite QB will be able to put up big offensive numbers.

Schedule wise, I see the imminently loseable games as KC, Seattle and Baltimore, and I'll give Buffalo a close win in Orchard Park, and (throwing up in my mouth) another late season stinker in Miami. Many view the Niners as a loss but I think Belichick will handle Kyle Shanahan and Jimmy G just fine. The only other team on the schedule that worries me, on paper, is Arizona.

Elsewhere in the division, Josh Allan follows the Mitchel Trubisky career path and the Bills regress, missing the playoffs. Miami improves on the field, but not yet in the standards. The Jets go all-in tank mode and win the right to ruin Trevor Lawrence's career.

Playoff teams
AFC: New England, Baltimore, Tennessee, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Denver
NFC: Dallas, Detroit, New Orleans, Seattle, San Francisco, Tampa Bay, Arizona

Super Bowl
New England over Tampa Bay (I wish)
Kansas City over New Orleans

He was all of 42 and then some in the second half of last year. People seem to be ignoring that.
how was he in the second half of the year?

Lots of love for the Bills but their schedule is almost as difficult as ours. Maybe just as difficult. They don’t play the Ravens but they do play a Steelers team that should be way better than they were last year, plus they play the Titans and we have the Texans.

Miami: W
@ Seattle: L
Las Vegas: W
@ Kansas City: L
Denver: W
San Francisco: L
@ Buffalo: L
@ New York J: W
Baltimore: L
@ Houston: W
Arizona: W
@ Los Aangeles R: W
@ Los Angeles C: W
@ Miami: W
Buffalo: W
New York J: W

11-5

10-6.

vs. MIA: Win. Flores is a good coach but Miami still isn't that good yet. We should be able to beat Fitz with our defense.
@SEA: Loss. Russell Wilson is one of the best QBs in the league right now.
vs. LV: Win. Derek Carr is still their QB1.
@KC: Loss.
vs. DEN: Win. Drew Lock is QB1.
vs. SF: Loss. Their defense is still going to be good, and Jimmy is a good QB.
@BUF: Loss. BUF is a good team. We will win the one later in the season.
@NYJ: Win. NYJ is a dumpster fire.
vs. BAL: Loss.
@HOU: Win. Belichick dominates BOB.
vs. AZ: Win. Although it remains to be seen how big of a jump Kyler Murray makes. This could be a loss.
@LAC: Win. No one is scared of Tyrod Taylor or Justin Herbert.
@LAR: Win. Their offensive line isn't good and our DBs can shut down their WRs.
@Mia: Loss. Annual loss to the Dolphins seems to be tradition.
vs. BUF: Win.
vs. NYJ: Win.

This may be overly optimistic, but I believe Cam is fully healthy, and our defense is still a top-5 unit despite losing Hightower, KVN, and Chung.

In addition, the only two teams that are clearly better than the Patriots in the AFC are KC and Baltimore.

I keep going back and forth between 9-7 and 10-6 for the Patriots. The schedule is fairly weak this year. I would be very surprised if they do 8-8 considering they face a number of tomato cans.

He was fine. Not his best year clearly but he was still elite. The offense was awful. The OL was subpar, the run game was subpar, the pass catchers were awful. Edelman and White should not be your #1 and #2 options. Don't get me wrong. I like both players, but Edelman needs a bigger threat to play off of and white is your X factor after your top 3 guys. Not your #2. They got no separation all year. They simply didn't have the talent on the offensive side to compete most weeks. With his new cast I think you'll see him be in the running for MVP again. Not win it but be at the level where he gets consideration.

He was fine. Not his best year clearly but he was still elite. The offense was awful. The OL was subpar, the run game was subpar, the pass catchers were awful. Edelman and White should not be your #1 and #2 options. Don't get me wrong. I like both players, but Edelman needs a bigger threat to play off of and white is your X factor after your top 3 guys. Not your #2. They got no separation all year. They simply didn't have the talent on the offensive side to compete most weeks. With his new cast I think you'll see him be in the running for MVP again. Not win it but be at the level where he gets consideration.
Last 8 games
163/295 55.3%
1730 pass yards
10 td
(This is 3460 passing yards and 20 tds per 16 games, which would be near worst in the league)
4 ints
79 passer rating.
Offense score 19 ppg

very few qbs were worse than that over 8 games.

vs. MIA: L
@ SEA: L
vs. LV: L
@ KC: L
vs. DEN: L
vs. SF: L
@ BUF: L
@ NYJ: W
vs. BAL: L
@ HOU: L
vs. AZ: L
@ LAC: L
@ LAR: L
@ Mia: L
vs. BUF:
vs. NYJ: W

hello Trevor Lawrence, welcome to foxboro!

If the Patriots are bad enough for 1-15- they aren’t but say it happens - let’s face it Lawrence ain’t gonna matter cause there are way bigger problems on both sides of the ball

I keep going back and forth between 9-7 and 10-6 for the Patriots. The schedule is fairly weak this year. I would be very surprised if they do 8-8 considering they face a number of tomato cans.
Hmmm...yeah...I'm going to have to say...No on that one there...hmmm...yeah...

And yet with these same "weapons"(snicker) - except for the rookie TEs - you think they'll go 9-7/10-6? Not happening.

6-10.

Worst WRs in NFL History.

Tank for Trevah.

If the Patriots are bad enough for 1-15- they aren’t but say it happens - let’s face it Lawrence ain’t gonna matter cause there are way bigger problems on both sides of the ball
Gotta start somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back