PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2020 NEP Draft Big Board/Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Thomas. He's my OT1.

If it's strictly between those prospects? I'd definitely be looking to trade out. If I can't?
I'd go Chaisson/YGM, Baun/Murray & then Epenesa.
Mine as well next to Wills. Wirfs is more athletic but needs a lot more work than Thomas and Wills. Those guys can start right away where wirfs probably play guard first.

I‘m somehow not really sold on Chaisson. Do you think he can drop into coverage?
I guess one of them is available in the late first early second so trade down is also one of my favorite scenarios.
Really like the upside of YGM but he might be gone by 23.

Mine as well next to Wills. Wirfs is more athletic but needs a lot more work than Thomas and Wills. Those guys can start right away where wirfs probably play guard first.

I‘m somehow not really sold on Chaisson. Do you think he can drop into coverage?
I guess one of them is available in the late first early second so trade down is also one of my favorite scenarios.
Really like the upside of YGM but he might be gone by 23.
I'm probably a little more sold on Wirfs. I think he could play RT right away but doesn't sound like we're far off. I think like Wynn he'll be a very good T but could be an elite G. Love Willis, he's just a football player. Same with him. RT but possibly an elite G bc of his athleticism.

Yea remember Chaisson was hurt recently so he's still not operating at full force in terms of development. I do like his athletic upside in coverage tho. I think he's capable of handling flat/over-hang duties. Not sure about squeezing & running down the sidelines on wheel routes but that's not a fair task for a rookie.

Anyone here know anything about Utah DT John Penisini? With a name like that, I just want him to be in the NFL for years to come.
Hard worker, took a bit of a different path. New and still learning the position.

Strong & stout with short arms. Worker-type, high effort. Decent movements, decent jump. Not much variety in terms of a pass rush. Short arms hurt him working off blocks. 6/7th - udfa.

Errrr........

Peter King in his mock draft has Pats trading up to #13 to take Tua.

What's worse he doesn't include what would cost to do that he just makes comments about 2021 1st and 2nd round picks.

I don't understand. The team has had months to prepare. The patriots have only about 7 key people on draft day. I have to believe that some one has set up a business quality video conferencing set up where everyone can see every one and easily work together. In addition, I would expect each of the key players to have another room setup for conferences with other teams. I suppose a 3rd setup could be for talking to our scouts and coaches. Sure, this might cost $200K to set up, but the problem isn't technological.

The patriots have a tremendous advantage in that very few are usually in the draft room, and very few are part of the draft day decision process.

Agree. And it shouldn't cost $20K.
Probably faster than doing it FTF. You don't have to find someone like you would if doing it FTF, everybody is always right there.
Heck just the meeting room and chat capabilities in Zoom should do the trick.

Peter King's 2020 NFL Mock Draft - NBC Sports
13. New England (trade with San Francisco)—Tua Tagovailoa, quarterback, Alabama
So Tagovailoa could drop, and Bill Belichick really doesn’t want to take a quarterback now, with one draft pick in the top 85 this year and needs all over his roster. And truly: I have no indication, no inside information, that says he’d do this. It’s simply a guess. But think if you’re Belichick. Because your team never finishes 3-13, you never have a chance to get one of the best quarterbacks in the college game. Until Tagovailoa’s hip popped out of the socket last November, forcing immediate and urgent surgery, he was 1/1A with the transcendent Joe Burrow to be the first pick in this draft. And you don’t want to pillage the lone first or lone second-round pick from next year’s draft. But do you do it for a great but pockmarked talent such as Tagovailoa five months after major hip surgery? I do know Belichick would have confidence in his player-procurement skills.

I also don’t know what the New England orthopods will say about him. I do know one respected team doctor for an NFL team who gave Tagovailoa the once-over at the combine, and I asked him what he thought about Tagovailoa’s propensity for injury while at Alabama—a broken hand, two high-ankle sprains, and a hip dislocation most recently. This is what this doctor—whose team is not in the market for a first-round quarterback—told me Thursday:

“These contact injuries are part of the game. You ask yourself, ‘Is this guy injury-prone, or does he have a bullseye on him because he’s a crucial player on his team?’ I’ve seen a few of the hip dislocations in football, and my experience is that if you lose blood supply to the hip for a long-enough period of time, you’re in trouble. I don’t think that was the case here. As I see it, the effects of the dislocation might show up when he’s 35, but not when he’s 25.”

Cautiously optimistic then. Tough call for a franchise, but when would the Patriots ever get a shot at a potential superstar quarterback? Even if they had to throw in next year’s first-rounder, I think this would be a risk worth taking for the Patriots.

I'm probably a little more sold on Wirfs. I think he could play RT right away but doesn't sound like we're far off. I think like Wynn he'll be a very good T but could be an elite G. Love Willis, he's just a football player. Same with him. RT but possibly an elite G bc of his athleticism.

Yea remember Chaisson was hurt recently so he's still not operating at full force in terms of development. I do like his athletic upside in coverage tho. I think he's capable of handling flat/over-hang duties. Not sure about squeezing & running down the sidelines on wheel routes but that's not a fair task for a rookie.
Yeah. Would also like to see wirfs as a tackle cause with his athletic he can probably handle speed rusher better.
Yeah chaisson is an insane athlete with a great spin move. If he can develop in more than just a pass rusher I would like to see him in our defense.
If we loose thuney, who would you like to draft as a replacement?

This draft is supposedly strong in three groups; WR, OT and DT

That shapes up pretty well for the Pats needs. Good luck guessing who they take.

Personally I'd like to see them trade Thuney, slide Wynn into his spot and take a LT.

This draft is supposedly strong in three groups; WR, OT and DT

That shapes up pretty well for the Pats needs. Good luck guessing who they take.

Personally I'd like to see them trade Thuney, slide Wynn into his spot and take a LT.

we have the least talented offense in the nfl in skilled positions and you want to take an OL?

What this tells me is: Stay Away from drafting QBs this year, and give Stid more help instead; he's just as good, if not better, as any of them outside of Burrow/Tua/Herbert...
So, if St
Agree. And it shouldn't cost $20K.
Probably faster than doing it FTF. You don't have to find someone like you would if doing it FTF, everybody is always right there.
Heck just the meeting room and chat capabilities in Zoom should do the trick.

I'd expect business quality stuff, setups that might be used by top companies.

we have the least talented offense in the nfl in skilled positions and you want to take an OL?

If we trade thuney it’s not a terrible idea if that’s the way the board falls. If kinlaws off the board and one of the better OTs falls you could build the line and go wr/TE later on. Wr is as deep a class as I can remember and this TE class kinda sucks. No need to reach early for kmet/trautman.

LOL, if you think BB is taking another WR in the first round this year you'll be disappointed.

LOL, if you think BB is taking another WR in the first round this year you'll be disappointed.
And if he does, you and lots of others will be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes