PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2019 NE CAP SPACE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing that since Hightower wasn't moved or cut as of yesterday, his $10m cap hit is on the books for the year? Looks like he's coming back.

why

OK

We are projecting that the patriots will do what they have never done. We have projected that the team will push as money as possible intonthe future, by restructuring almost all the major contracts. In addition, folks want Brady to sign a contract whereby he plays for peanuts in 2019, deferring tens of millions deferred.

And of course, posters then want to compete for top free agents, some costing $8M or more a year.

This could be the first time, but somehow I don't see this happening.

Gilmore deal if they turn his BS into signing bonus

2020 30 CAP NUMBER $20,337,500 DEAD MONEY $14,175,000 SAVINGS $6,162,500
2021 31 CAP NUMBER $21,337,500 DEAD MONEY $9,337,500 SAVINGS $12,000,000

Gilmore if they don't touch his contract will play his 5 years here and maybe more. He is playing this year for a cap of 14M. Next year will be 15M and the other 16M. Don't touch his contract and Mason's please.

I don't think they need to do it.

Extend Brady and maybe DMac for a year to retire here with his brother.

That will be more than enough to sign Gost, Allen, cushion and draft picks.

Gilmore deal if they turn his BS into signing bonus

2020 30 CAP NUMBER $20,337,500 DEAD MONEY $14,175,000 SAVINGS $6,162,500
2021 31 CAP NUMBER $21,337,500 DEAD MONEY $9,337,500 SAVINGS $12,000,000

Gilmore if they don't touch his contract will play his 5 years here and maybe more. He is playing this year for a cap of 14M. Next year will be 15M and the other 16M. Don't touch his contract and Mason's please.

If they touch his money Gilmore will play his 5 years here. This was already happening either way. Have you seen the way he balls we aren't cutting him in his prime. And I don't see how moving some money around now makes any difference to if we want him beyond that.

I'm guessing that since Hightower wasn't moved or cut as of yesterday, his $10m cap hit is on the books for the year? Looks like he's coming back.

Not necessarily. Could still be restructured (for some 3M). News about that will not be most up to date ;)

btw - High's cap hit is 11M - big investment if not touched..

Last edited:
If they touch his money Gilmore will play his 5 years here. This was already happening either way. Have you seen the way he balls we aren't cutting him in his prime. And I don't see how moving some money around now makes any difference to if we want him beyond that.

It does not work like that, when ppl want to cut one of the best team players for a long time (same player that made a LOT of big plays) to save 5M.

It does not work like that, when ppl want to cut one of the best team players for a long time (same player that made a LOT of big plays) to save 5M.
I assume your talking Hightower? Who cares what people think/want BB still valued the player. But your right anything could happen and if Gilly runs into knee and shoulder problems like High than maybe there would be concern. So yes there is a risk but with Gilly I think it would be worth the risk as his body seems relatively healthy.

not even close to enough

Pats are in strange situations with these older players.

Gronk might retire and is in the last year of his deal.

DMc is still good but also in the last year of his deal

High is still very good but will be 30 next year and has a lot of miles on the tires. 2020 is the final year of his deal. Kinda dumb to extend him or make his dead cap # in 2020 bigger.

All 3 players currently justify their respective salary and cap numbers .

We know what BB does with older players.

Not necessarily. Could still be restructured (for some 3M). News about that will not be most up to date ;)

btw - High's cap hit is 11M - big investment if not touched..

The problem with Hightower is that if he can play 2019 like he did at the end of 2018, he's worth the money. But the odds of that are slimmer with each passing year, and each game he plays on his joints (neither of which, IIRC, will ever fully recover while he's playing football). So how much does appreciation for his past contributions play into this calculation? Definitely more for us fans than for the coaching staff. But I wouldn't be surprised to see them meet half-way in the middle, with a salary cut for the upcoming year. If you are Hightower, at this point, you don't want to leave the question open to the Pats management, leading to the possibility of having to hit the open market at this age, and with those medicals.

How much do you figure they need? (draft picks, two kickers, a little cushion).

$15M with no additional free agent signings.

$20M is more reasonable. We will sign a DL or two. We will sign a WR or two. And we sign at least one backup offensive tackle.

The problem with Hightower is that if he can play 2019 like he did at the end of 2018, he's worth the money. But the odds of that are slimmer with each passing year, and each game he plays on his joints (neither of which, IIRC, will ever fully recover while he's playing football). So how much does appreciation for his past contributions play into this calculation? Definitely more for us fans than for the coaching staff. But I wouldn't be surprised to see them meet half-way in the middle, with a salary cut for the upcoming year. If you are Hightower, at this point, you don't want to leave the question open to the Pats management, leading to the possibility of having to hit the open market at this age, and with those medicals.
Yeah I think with High they will play out this year and see where they are next off-season. Extension, cut or trade are all possibilities

$15M with no additional free agent signings.

$20M is more reasonable. We will sign a DL or two. We will sign a WR or two. And we sign at least one backup offensive tackle.
And how do we get there?

Yeah I think with High they will play out this year and see where they are next off-season. Extension, cut or trade are all possibilities

The team often moves a star the year before his performance diminishes. If anything, we are a year late on Hightower.

The team often moves a star the year before his performance diminishes. If anything, we are a year late on Hightower.

Not sure getting rid of him is better that eating $5m but DET still has $29m in cap space. Operators may be standing by in Foxboro.

And how do we get there?

First, I would note that we have almost ZERO cap money at the moment. The current $9.9M may or may not be enough to cover outstanding announced contracts to Simon, Dorsett, Pennell, Brooks and Harris.
=========================
The options as always are restructures, extensions and cuts. Since some of the costs don;t occur until the season starts, some of these restructures can happen in August. I believe last year we used Gilmore's contract for this purpose.

POSSIBLE RESTRUCTURES
Bennett
Mason
Cannon
Gilmore

CUT, RESTRUCTURE, EXTEND OR RETIRE
Hightower (one or the other WILL happen)
Gronkowski

POSSIBLE EXTENSIONS
Brady
McCourty
Van Noy

Not sure getting rid of him is better that eating $5m but DET still has $29m in cap space. Operators may be standing by in Foxboro.
Trading or cutting has the same effect on the 2019 cap.

Trading or cutting has the same effect on the 2019 cap.
Yes and I'm not sure they really improve their overall position by doing do.

I assume your talking Hightower? Who cares what people think/want BB still valued the player. But your right anything could happen and if Gilly runs into knee and shoulder problems like High than maybe there would be concern. So yes there is a risk but with Gilly I think it would be worth the risk as his body seems relatively healthy.

I don't think it is injury related because ppl wanted to pay OBJ that played 59 games last 5 years. HT played 58 ... 33 x 32 last 3 years ... It is all about bring a new toy.

not even close to enough

???

I really don’t understand why people keep posting about the cap as if there are severe concerns only to post a bit later a list of many moves the team can (and at some point will) do that shows that there is no issue at all in the first place.

All of this is a pure accounting issue and not an actual cap problem. And yet some posts here make it sound like we are in for a yardsale and need to cut players. All while BB is out trying to sign WRs for 10m APY.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes