PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 . pre Free Agency salivations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Problems with the Cowboys was Zeke Elliot's suspension poor Defense, bad blocking scheme on Offense and no Speed at WR. There did I miss anything???

They could have overcome Elliot if they had production from the slot. Also, if Dez Bryant decided to try, but he didn't really try last year either.

Lee really stood out at the joint practices last summer, which has proven a good way to get on BB's target list.

Lee was Bortles' favorite tgt this season, and his 2nd favorite last season after Robinson. Playing out his rookie deal this season. Seems doubtful to me that they let him (or Robinson) walk cheaply enough for the Pats, even though the Jags currently have less than $18M in cap space for 2018.

Cutting Allen Hurns (6012/200), OTOH, would save them $7M in cap space with zero dead money. Hurns seems to run a lot of different routes. He seems to have played a "deep threat" role in 2015 (61% catch rate on a 16.6 ypc, 1031 yds and 10 TDS), but had his best catch rate (69.6%) at a 12.4 ypc this season (484 yds and 2 TDs on 565 tgts).

We will hve malcolm Mitchell back and britt could likely be back. Understand the playbook a lot better.

Amendola recently turned 32 and is a UFA at the end of this season.

Edelman turns 32 in May and will be coming off ACL surgery.

Hogan turns 30 this coming October and his UFA after next season.

That's at least three reasons to be at least looking at younger veteran WR possibilities.

They really like Dede Westbrook and they have him on the cheaps for three more years. I think if they choose between Lee and Robinson right now Lee has the edge.

Cole Beasley had a brutally bad season this year. 36 rec, 314 yds, 4 TD, 63 targets.

No thanks.

Beasley turns 29 this year and has a $4.25M cap hit. Seems almost certain to be cut by DAL. Could be worth at least a look on the 90-man roster for a non-guaranteed vet minimum deal.

Too many teams have the need and cap space for wr's. We don't have the
space this year. About 16m left. Without even keeping; Butler, Solder and Lewis.

We have to make some cuts just to keep Solder and Lewis. And, have a little
play money. Cheap vets only this year. We can save 17m by releasing; Bennett, Allen, Branch, Harris and McLellin. We got nothing from that group this year.

If we keep Lewis and Solder. Malcolm Butler is the only starter we lose. Don't forget we have; Edelman, Hightower and Cannon coming back. Plus, Valentine and Mitchell. Plus, our top 2 picks from last year in Garcia and Rivers. I'm guessing a
quiet off-season for us.

They could have overcome Elliot if they had production from the slot. Also, if Dez Bryant decided to try, but he didn't really try last year either.

Bryant had 3-4 really good years from 2011-2014, but has really kinda sucked the past three seasons, relative to his $16.5M cap hit, at least.

2015: 9 games .. 31/72 (43%) .. 401 yds (12.9 ypc) .. 45 yds/gm .. 3 TD
2016: 13 gms .. 50/96 (52%) .. 796 yds (15.9 ypc) .. 61 yds/gm .. 8 TD
2017: 16 gms .. 69/132 (52%) .. 838 yds (12.1 ypc) .. 52 yds/gm .. 6 TD

The 'Boys can save $12.5M on the cap by shedding him post June-1 (cut or trade). They have only about $18M in cap space for 2018, and several key free agents to sign, including DeMarcus Lawrence.

Now this would make a lot of sense if true.

Bryant had 3-4 really good years from 2011-2014, but has really kinda sucked the past three seasons, relative to his $16.5M cap hit, at least.

2015: 9 games .. 31/72 (43%) .. 401 yds (12.9 ypc) .. 45 yds/gm .. 3 TD
2016: 13 gms .. 50/96 (52%) .. 796 yds (15.9 ypc) .. 61 yds/gm .. 8 TD
2017: 16 gms .. 69/132 (52%) .. 838 yds (12.1 ypc) .. 52 yds/gm .. 6 TD

The 'Boys can save $12.5M on the cap by shedding him post June-1 (cut or trade). They have only about $18M in cap space for 2018, and several key free agents to sign, including DeMarcus Lawrence.

Yikes I could see the Cowboys cutting bate and going younger and speedier. Wouldn't mind Dez on a Three year deal finishing Brady's career. Dez could be a great possession WR for us he's still younger than Edelman.

Cole Beasley had a brutally bad season this year. 36 rec, 314 yds, 4 TD, 63 targets.

No thanks.
Cole Beasely had Dak Prescott throwing to him, who woefully underperformed...last year was an aberration for Beasely...his 4 prior years his %complete was 73.4%...by contrast Julian Edelman has NEVER been over 70% in a season in his career

Cole Beasely had Dak Prescott throwing to him, who woefully underperformed...last year was an aberration for Beasely...his 4 prior years his %complete was 73.4%...by contrast Julian Edelman has NEVER been over 70% in a season in his career
He had Dak Prescott throwing to him last year too.

You guys are all fixated on the shiny objects. Give me

1. LBs
2. OL
3. TE

in that order of priority.

The first two are draftable items.

I think we might actually be set at TE with Gronk, Allen and Hollister. Take a few stabs at upgrading on Hollister if he doesnt make a y2 jump via late draft picks or UDFAs.

Pretty sure Bennett will be cut to avoid that GB contract.

Too many teams have the need and cap space for wr's. We don't have the
space this year. About 16m left. Without even keeping; Butler, Solder and Lewis.
If we keep Lewis and Solder. Malcolm Butler is the only starter we lose. Don't forget we have; Edelman, Hightower and Cannon coming back. Plus, Valentine and Mitchell. Plus, our top 2 picks from last year in Garcia and Rivers. I'm guessing a
quiet off-season for us.

Don't think finding new OC/DC and some positional coaches, a new future QB and securing solid OT situation qualifies for quiet off-season.

It should not be a splashy free agency like last year but still one of the most important offseasons BB & NE ever had..

here a nice look behind the FA scenes..

in hindsight feels like the fates of two 2017 teams were in hands of one player here..

(btw- Campbell's nephew looks like he fell from Slater's nest there at the end)

What about RB? I assume we're losing Dion Lewis in the off season as someone is going to price us out.

Patricia is going to the Loins, and McD is going to the Clots (reportedly). Both teams have significant roster needs and both teams have way more cap space than the Pats.

It's possible that both Lewis and Burkhead "defect", possibly Waddle and/or Fleming, Bademosi, Marquis Flowers, Malcolm Butler - perhaps even Ebner and/or Bolden. Solder, I think, either stays in New England or retires.

So, yeah, RB could be a need in 2018. OTOH, it seems there may be decent RBs who can both run and catch (at least a bit) available in all rounds of the 2018 draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes