PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 . pre Free Agency salivations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something people may want to take into consideration is that the Pats may already have their slot receiver Edelman replacement in McCarron unless he decides to sign somewhere else..

I think what you are saying is exactly the reason why getting eg. Landry on a potential one year deal like some (outside Boston) beat guys were suggesting could be a perfect match.

He could be an insurance for McCarron/Mr X. not developing and Edelman needing time / not being the same. We have seen this year that missing that kind of player really leads to too many third down stops.

Obviously the question is if those reports have even an ounce of truth behind them. But if true it could work great for both sides.

We will have to pay Lewis in the 6 mill range to hang on to him and we should and he deserves it.
The gamble is his knees.
You throw big money at Dion Lewis with that injury history you have to have protection in place.
I fear the main threat to take Dion is the Colts.
Playing in a dome under McDaniels and they have A ton of cap space.
It would really make me dislike McDaniels if he plucks Lewis I was on to him since college.

Indy could take Saquon Barkley at 3. If they got him and Luck healthy. They're going to have a heckuva offense. Still, a crappy defense though. Josh would be looking pretty smart. Spend their cap space on defense.

Those of you looking to Landry might want to start looking elsewhere:

“How long has this franchise been around?” Damarius Bilbo told Joe Schad of the Palm Beach Post on Wednesday. “It’s always going to be here. Take a discount? Absolutely not. This may be Jarvis’ first and last time to set himself up and his family up. He needs to strike and strike while the iron is hot. Plenty of guys that were drafted ahead of Jarvis have not performed to his level. Look at Jarvis’ performance level. If you want to compare him to the T.Y. Hiltons and the Doug Baldwins, those deals were done two or three years ago. It’s his time now. He’s next man up.”

Jarvis Landry won’t be taking a hometown discount to stay in Miami

We will have to pay Lewis in the 6 mill range to hang on to him and we should and he deserves it.
The gamble is his knees.
You throw big money at Dion Lewis with that injury history you have to have protection in place.
I fear the main threat to take Dion is the Colts.
Playing in a dome under McDaniels and they have A ton of cap space.
It would really make me dislike McDaniels if he plucks Lewis I was on to him since college.

Lewis' 2017 cap hit made him the #40 RB in pay, but a $6M APY contract would put Lewis in the Top-10.

A $4M base offer would put him into the Top-20, along with Gore, Forte, Stewart and White, and just below Sproles and Lynch (at $4.5M). An offer could include incentives to make $4.5M easy to reach if he stays healthy, and other incentives that could get him up into the $6M range if he stays as productive as he was this season.

In Detroit, Lewis would likely be the lead back over Abdullah and Riddick. On the Clots, he'd possibly be sharing time with 34-year-old Frank Gore (UFA) who says he'd return to the Clots if Luck is healthy, but would prefer to play elsewhere in 2018 if Luck is not.

BTW - I joke about Gore and his age, however his stat lines in his 30's have been remarkably consistent, year-to-year. Total yds from scrimmage (rushing & receiving) + TDs:

2013: 1269 yds, 9 TDs - age 30 (SFO)
2014: 1217 yds, 5 TDs - age 31 (SFO)
2015: 1234 yds, 7 TDs - age 32 (IND)
2016: 1302 yds, 8 TDs - age 33 (IND)
2017: 1206 yds, 4 TDs - age 34 (IND)

Remember, the last three season have been with the Clots and their crappy OL (and defense). Think what he might be able to do with the Pats ... and Guerrero! ;)

Indy could take Saquon Barkley at 3. If they got him and Luck healthy. They're going to have a heckuva offense. Still, a crappy defense though. Josh would be looking pretty smart. Spend their cap space on defense.

The thing about high first-round picks is that they still hit the cap for a hunk of change, regardless of position.

Fournette was taken at #4 overall, and his 4-year contract is $27.15M, all fully guaranteed, with a higher 5th-year team option.

His cap hits:
2017 = $4.94M
2018 = $6.17M (Top-10 in RB pay)
2019 = $7.40M ($16m dead money if cut)
2020 = $8.64M

Since the 2018 scale will be higher and the #3 pick would cost more anyway, Barkley would be that much more expensive. For an unproven rookie RB.

And to think that the Pats have caught heat for spending $6.35M on two veteran RBs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes