PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 . pre Free Agency salivations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt that we’ll be very active in FA but one name to definitely watch is Richard Sherman if the Seahawks release him. He’s 30 on the final year of his deal & coming off a torn achilles. He’s tried to trade himself here once or twice & seems very fond of the Pats compete level. Seems to love BB, Brady, Jules, etc.

I could see him having a solid end to his career here as CB2 with safety help across Gilmore. He also probably wouldn’t be that expensive & we could afford to let him fully heal with Rowe in his place.

We could have had Tevin Coleman instead of Jordan Richards. I just can’t let it go

I hear ya on that one.

Gurley was my #1 RB binky that 2015 draft (even though the Pats had no shot at him). I thought Coleman would fit okay, but I liked David Johnson and Jeremy Langford a bit better (more or less correct about Johnson; way off about Langford) - did not like Abdullah at all. Turned out to be a fairly shallow RB draft class. After (Johnson #86, ARZ), only Ajayi (#149) has really distinguished himself. That totals 6 decent > very good players out of 23 RBs drafted that year - and that's including Abdullah (#54, DET) and Yeldon (#36, JAX) as having been decent.

Anyway, the Pats had already signed Lewis and Cadet in 2015 FA to go with Blount and White, so RB maybe didn't seem like a pressing need at the time. They didn't even sign any UDFA RBs immediately after the draft that year.

Also, in the past couple-three years, BB has increasingly expressed a preference for players with at least some NFL experience who've already successfully navigated the college-to-pro transition, because there's less work to do to get them ready to contribute within the Pats' systems. That preference certainly contributed to the acquisitions of Burkhead, Gillislee and Cooks (and several others on the current team). However, I think that approach generally works better, fiscally (cap-wise), for some positions (relatively cheap RBs) than for others (expensive pass-rushing DEs).

Anyway, the 2015 Safety class was also fairly shallow (they most often are). After Richards (#64), the next SS taken was James Sample at #104 (JAX), just after the Pats double-dipped at DE (Grissom, #97 comp pick, and Flowers 4 picks later at #101). Sample has done nothing, and the two other 4th-round safeties, Clayton Geathers (#109, Colts) and Ibraheim Campbell (#115, Browns) have contributed marginally more than Richards, albeit on poor defenses. Free Safety Adrian Amos (#142) has done fairly well for the Bears, but none of the seven Safeties drafted after him have done anything, and five were out of the league after a year (or less).

That's actually another parallel between the Richards and Wilson picks. There were a dozen Safeties drafted after Wilson, the next one in the 4th round by San Diego (who had the pick right after the Pats took Wilson in the 2nd). Of that 12, only 2 have ended up being as successful as Wilson has been (at least with the Lions), although there were a couple of CB>Safety conversions who've done okay. Again though, IIRC 7 of those 12 safeties drafted after Wilson were out of the league within a year or two.

While BB taking a safety in the mid-2nd has become a running gag, the fact is that it's fairly rare that a safety taken after that point ever does much in the NFL (Harmon's draft class was unusually deep at safety). Furthermore, the Pats coverage systems, as they've evolved over the past decade, have often demanded more versatility from all the safeties on the field than many other schemes do, so those players who seem likely to fit are that much more difficult to find in the draft, and are likely to take fairly significant time to develop (if ever). Safety, for the Pats, is getting to be kinda like the defensive counterpart to WRs in the offensive system. Aside from Harmon, who's come on very strong this season (his 5th), the Pats' only successful drafted safeties over the past decade have been Chung (#34, 2009) and McCourty (#27, 2010) - and McCourty was converted from CB.

So, perhaps the point to the Richards, Wilson and Harmon picks was to try to get a safety prospect into the "grooming" process a couple-three seasons before he'd be needed.

With both Chung and McCourty turning 31 during Camp next August, it seems like it's maybe getting a little late to be drafting and grooming replacements (and Richards doesn't appear to be a viable one), so it's going to be interesting to see how BB approaches that situation (and the RB situation) this off-season.

They should be fine on the cap. Should have about $27 million in free space after cutting Bennett, Gilleslee, and David Harris. Cutting Allen would save another $5 million with no dead money as well. Britt and Dorsett can be cut for around $1.5 million each with no dead money. Cap shouldn't be a huge issue.

Gotta resign Amendola, Lewis, Burkhead. Solder, Waddle, and Fleming are all UFA's as well. Tackle is gonna be a major need this offseason (either resign our own or find a starter and backup). If you cut Allen you need another TE.

Miguel has the Pats at $13M to start 2018, after all incentive bonuses are figured in.

BTW - to figure cap savings from cutting a player accurately, one needs to not only subtract dead money from the player's cap hit, but also the cost of a "replacement player". The 2018 minimum player cost is $480k - roughly 1/2 million.

So, for example, Branch's 2018 cap hit is $4.7M. Minus the $1M dead money (signing bonus payment) yields $3.7M. Minus $0.5M for a replacement play yields a net savings of $3.2M.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Bennett would need to be cut before the 1st day of the new league year or else he's due a $2M roster bonus. That would save a net of ~$5.9M. At age 30, he might agree to a restructure/reduction.

Cutting Allen would save a net of ~$4.5M. He might also agree to a restructure/reduction.

Cutting Branch saves ~$3.2M.
Cutting Mcclellin saves ~$1.8M
Cutting Harris saves ~$1.7M

That's a net total savings of ~17.1M for a total of about $30M in cap space.

Other possibilities:

Extending Brady for another year at $15M and converting all but $1M of his 2018 salary to signing bonus nets another ~$11M in cap savings for 2018, depending on how that's done.

Extending McCourty another year might save another ~$5M.

Everything else is pretty much chipping tiny pieces off the edges. For example, cutting Britt and Dorsett nets only about $1M in cap space each. And then, why arbitrarily cut two guys who already have experience in the system? In favor of who?

I hear ya on that one.

Gurley was my #1 RB binky that 2015 draft (even though the Pats had no shot at him). I thought Coleman would fit okay, but I liked David Johnson and Jeremy Langford a bit better (more or less correct about Johnson; way off about Langford) - did not like Abdullah at all. Turned out to be a fairly shallow RB draft class. After (Johnson #86, ARZ), only Ajayi (#149) has really distinguished himself. That totals 6 decent > very good players out of 23 RBs drafted that year - and that's including Abdullah (#54, DET) and Yeldon (#36, JAX) as having been decent.

Anyway, the Pats had already signed Lewis and Cadet in 2015 FA to go with Blount and White, so RB maybe didn't seem like a pressing need at the time. They didn't even sign any UDFA RBs immediately after the draft that year.

Also, in the past couple-three years, BB has increasingly expressed a preference for players with at least some NFL experience who've already successfully navigated the college-to-pro transition, because there's less work to do to get them ready to contribute within the Pats' systems. That preference certainly contributed to the acquisitions of Burkhead, Gillislee and Cooks (and several others on the current team). However, I think that approach generally works better, fiscally (cap-wise), for some positions (relatively cheap RBs) than for others (expensive pass-rushing DEs).

Anyway, the 2015 Safety class was also fairly shallow (they most often are). After Richards (#64), the next SS taken was James Sample at #104 (JAX), just after the Pats double-dipped at DE (Grissom, #97 comp pick, and Flowers 4 picks later at #101). Sample has done nothing, and the two other 4th-round safeties, Clayton Geathers (#109, Colts) and Ibraheim Campbell (#115, Browns) have contributed marginally more than Richards, albeit on poor defenses. Free Safety Adrian Amos (#142) has done fairly well for the Bears, but none of the seven Safeties drafted after him have done anything, and five were out of the league after a year (or less).

That's actually another parallel between the Richards and Wilson picks. There were a dozen Safeties drafted after Wilson, the next one in the 4th round by San Diego (who had the pick right after the Pats took Wilson in the 2nd). Of that 12, only 2 have ended up being as successful as Wilson has been (at least with the Lions), although there were a couple of CB>Safety conversions who've done okay. Again though, IIRC 7 of those 12 safeties drafted after Wilson were out of the league within a year or two.

While BB taking a safety in the mid-2nd has become a running gag, the fact is that it's fairly rare that a safety taken after that point ever does much in the NFL (Harmon's draft class was unusually deep at safety). Furthermore, the Pats coverage systems, as they've evolved over the past decade, have often demanded more versatility from all the safeties on the field than many other schemes do, so those players who seem likely to fit are that much more difficult to find in the draft, and are likely to take fairly significant time to develop (if ever). Safety, for the Pats, is getting to be kinda like the defensive counterpart to WRs in the offensive system. Aside from Harmon, who's come on very strong this season (his 5th), the Pats' only successful drafted safeties over the past decade have been Chung (#34, 2009) and McCourty (#27, 2010) - and McCourty was converted from CB.

So, perhaps the point to the Richards, Wilson and Harmon picks was to try to get a safety prospect into the "grooming" process a couple-three seasons before he'd be needed.

With both Chung and McCourty turning 31 during Camp next August, it seems like it's maybe getting a little late to be drafting and grooming replacements (and Richards doesn't appear to be a viable one), so it's going to be interesting to see how BB approaches that situation (and the RB situation) this off-season.
Demarius Travers and David Jones on practice squad all year. At least one should be able to make the jump and please replace Jordan Richards.

I think Andrew Jelks may have higher ceiling than Garcia, if he ever remains healthy.

IDK about Jelks. IIRC, he practiced with the team for a couple-three weeks during the season on an NFI List exemption (separate from the IR-DtR exemptions). Some media wag asked BB in a presser how Jelks looked ... "Like a guy who hasn't played football in two years."

Shortly after that, Jelks quietly slipped back into NFI oblivion.

Why would anyone be jealous of the Steelers drafting amazing receivers? That’s the most overrated position to have stacked talent at. The Fat Rapist threw for over 400 yards and 5 tds, Antonio Brown dominated, and they still got eliminated. You don’t win superbowls with stacked talent at an overrated position. Efficient talent at WR? Of course. Elite star and amazing sidekick talent at WR? Receipe for failure come the postseason.

Because the Patriots haven't missed at that position yet especially in the Draft.:confused::rolleyes:

We could have had Tevin Coleman instead of Jordan Richards. I just can’t let it go

And just how do you know that Tevin Coleman was on the Patriots Board at the time?

Let's review the status of the Patriots at the time of the 2015 draft.

- They'd just won a SB
- Despite losing Vereen and Ridley, the Pats still have Blount, White and Bolden.
- The Patriots had Tyler Gaffney who they still had high hopes for despite his injuries.
- The Patriots had already signed Deion Lewis.

So, RB was a very low need at the time of the draft. Safety might have had a slightly higher in terms of need. Yes, the Patriots had McCourty, Chung, Harmon and Wilson. However, they probably already knew they were moving on from Wilson after 2015 due to money. So BB, as he does many times, grabs a guy who ranks high in football intelligence but is still a bit of a project that he can develop behind the other 3..

No, it didn't turn out the way he'd hoped. Richards is mediocre at best and seems best suited to being on Special Teams only.

Idk how valuable Lewis would be to another club but he's valuable to us. I hope we find a way to resign him. Sadly i expect solder to be gone. We will likely let butler test the free agency market.

And just how do you know that Tevin Coleman was on the Patriots Board at the time?

Let's review the status of the Patriots at the time of the 2015 draft.

- They'd just won a SB
- Despite losing Vereen and Ridley, the Pats still have Blount, White and Bolden.
- The Patriots had Tyler Gaffney who they still had high hopes for despite his injuries.
- The Patriots had already signed Deion Lewis.

So, RB was a very low need at the time of the draft. Safety might have had a slightly higher in terms of need. Yes, the Patriots had McCourty, Chung, Harmon and Wilson. However, they probably already knew they were moving on from Wilson after 2015 due to money. So BB, as he does many times, grabs a guy who ranks high in football intelligence but is still a bit of a project that he can develop behind the other 3..

No, it didn't turn out the way he'd hoped. Richards is mediocre at best and seems best suited to being on Special Teams only.
An Indiana RB ran for 300 yards in a game against Ohio St!! I rest my case

IDK about Jelks. IIRC, he practiced with the team for a couple-three weeks during the season on an NFI List exemption (separate from the IR-DtR exemptions). Some media wag asked BB in a presser how Jelks looked ... "Like a guy who hasn't played football in two years."

Shortly after that, Jelks quietly slipped back into NFI oblivion.

I always worry if BB compliments a player or if the guy was "practice player of the week". When BB is critical that usually means a long term deal will be signed shortly. o_O

Based on my half a--ed appreciation of Travers during the pre season.

Ha! My appreciation was probably more like 3/4-a**ed. So there!

Both Travers and Jones also looked pretty good on ST to me during the pre-season, and both made a mark with multiple Practice Player of the Week awards.

OTOH, outside guys were brought in over these two to fill out ST when there were injuries. Although, as other posters have mentioned, the Pats maybe didn't want to promote them for fear they wouldn't clear waivers if they tried to get them back to the PS.

Perhaps there will be a clue in the Pats 2018 FA and draft acquisitions, but maybe not.

It certainly would be nice to know for certain that one or the other of them is poised to pass Richards on the development track, but we'll probably have to wait for OTAs and Camp to find out. Anticipation is a b**ch.

Idk how valuable Lewis would be to another club but he's valuable to us. I hope we find a way to resign him. Sadly i expect solder to be gone. We will likely let butler test the free agency market.

Well, since TWO of those "other clubs" may well be helmed by McD and Patricia, who are bother well-acquainted with Lewis' value (and Butler's), a "defection" by Lewis would come as no huge surprise.

Well, since TWO of those "other clubs" may well be helmed by McD and Patricia, who are bother well-acquainted with Lewis' value (and Butler's), a "defection" by Lewis would come as no huge surprise.
We will have to pay Lewis in the 6 mill range to hang on to him and we should and he deserves it.
The gamble is his knees.
You throw big money at Dion Lewis with that injury history you have to have protection in place.
I fear the main threat to take Dion is the Colts.
Playing in a dome under McDaniels and they have A ton of cap space.
It would really make me dislike McDaniels if he plucks Lewis I was on to him since college.

Something people may want to take into consideration is that the Pats may already have their slot receiver Edelman replacement in McCarron unless he decides to sign somewhere else..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes