PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Patriots Practice Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it curious that he's not on the 53 instead of one of the two WR castoffs they just signed.

He'll be back if they don't like Darboh or Hansen. I don't think they'll both be kept anyway, send maybe neither.

Good. He's got a good tooklit, he's worth developing, and I can't think of a better place for a quarterback to develop than with the Patriots, practicing every weak with the best quarterback that ever took the field.

I’m not one to name names but there are quite a few tool-kit (or tooklit, if you prefer) posters on Patsfans.com.

F3A69C31-C2D2-45B2-A638-FF0DD33433C2.jpeg

He'll be back if they don't like Darboh or Hansen. I don't think they'll both be kept anyway, send maybe neither.
I mean, he can return punts and has been with the team for a while now. They must have doubts about what he's shown at WR.

I mean, he can return punts and has been with the team for a while now. They must have doubts about what he's shown at WR.
He CAN return punts but doesn’t seem to be very good at it.

I find it curious that he's not on the 53 instead of one of the two WR castoffs they just signed.

They know what they have (and don't have) with McCarron. I think they may have put in claims on several similar WRs, but only these two made through to #31. They may even have been surprised that two made it. That seemed to screw up their (possible) original plan to keep Izzo through 4pm so that he could be IR'd as "Eligible to Return."

It's possible that both these guys are cut/waived before Wednesday, and that the Pats replace them with an 8th OL (4th OT) and McCarron for Sunday.

Since both Hansen and Darboh have already cleared waivers down as far as the Pats at #31, it seems likely that one or both may clear again and be signed to the PS.

He CAN return punts but doesn’t seem to be very good at it.

I think it might even be a stretch to say he can. He can fair catch pretty well, which is admittedly something not every punt returner is good at, but that's about all he ever did in the preseason.

I think it might even be a stretch to say he can. He can fair catch pretty well, which is admittedly something not every punt returner is good at, but that's about all he ever did in the preseason.
I hunk Patterson or hogan are returning punts.

They're probably not 100% satisfied with McCarron at receiver, but they don't have a lot of depth - even after Edelman gets back from his involuntary vacay - and they don't have much young, developmental depth.

I suspect that the Pats will be regularly having WRs in for tryouts for a good part of the season, and probably some shuffling through the PS.

BTW - the advantage to putting Hansen and Darboh directly onto the 53-man from waivers (rather than on the PS), it that it preserves their existing contracts. Both are currently signed through 2020. If one works out, then they already have him under control for three seasons. If, instead, the Pats had put them on the PS, they'd effectively be free agents immediately.

They're probably not 100% satisfied with McCarron at receiver, but they don't have a lot of depth - even after Edelman gets back from his involuntary vacay - and they don't have much young, developmental depth.

I suspect that the Pats will be regularly having WRs in for tryouts for a good part of the season, and probably some shuffling through the PS.

BTW - the advantage to putting Hansen and Darboh directly onto the 53-man from waivers (rather than on the PS), it that it preserves their existing contracts. Both are currently signed through 2020. If one works out, then they already have him under control for three seasons. If, instead, the Pats had put them on the PS, they'd effectively be free agents immediately.
If both work out we are in a decent spot for next season.
No guarantee both Hogan and Edelman are back next year.

That's not necessarily 100% on McCarron. On more than one occasion, BB expressed his displeasure with the return blocking execution (both PR and KR) for not providing enough opportunities for either McCarron or Cy Jones.

Bolden is probably on BB's speed dial and knows he will be back at some point..

If both work out we are in a decent spot for next season.
No guarantee both Hogan and Edelman are back next year.

Edelman is signed through 2019, but none of Hogan, Dorsett or Patterson is signed beyond the end of this season.

McCarron is ERFA at the end of 2018, which is almost equivalent to being signed through 2019.

Berrios is signed through 2021.

That's not necessarily 100% on McCarron. On more than one occasion, BB expressed his displeasure with the return blocking execution (both PR and KR) for not providing enough opportunities for either McCarron or Cy Jones.

That's fair. Our punting game was just horrible all around.

I have what I hope is not a stupid question regarding the waiver process. Let's suppose the Pats saw 4 receivers they liked and hoped that at least one of them made it down to them at #31 in the claim process.
So they put claim in on each and lo and behold they get all 4. Are they stuck with the 4 or can they revoke their claim???? The reason I'm asking is if they only wanted to add one of the receivers (Darboh or Hansen) but put claims in on both thinking they would be lucky to get one and got both, could they have taken back a claim or are they stuck with both ???

I have what I hope is not a stupid question regarding the waiver process. Let's suppose the Pats saw 4 receivers they liked and hoped that at least one of them made it down to them at #31 in the claim process.
So they put claim in on each and lo and behold they get all 4. Are they stuck with the 4 or can they revoke their claim???? The reason I'm asking is if they only wanted to add one of the receivers (Darboh or Hansen) but put claims in on both thinking they would be lucky to get one and got both, could they have taken back a claim or are they stuck with both ???
It's a good question, I think they can cut either one if they like, unlike signing a player off another practice squad.

I had this thought as well. I imagine they did think there was a chance they'd only get 1 (or 0) of the claimed WRs. For all we know, they put in other claims too (although you often hear about that, so maybe not). That's why I think it's quite likely they cut at least one of them soon. As far as the rule goes, I believe they could just immediately cut the claimed player and everything would be fine.

They know what they have (and don't have) with McCarron. I think they may have put in claims on several similar WRs, but only these two made through to #31.
Do you have a list of everyone who was picked up on waivers? It would be interesting to see which WRs were gone earlier that they might have claimed.

They may even have been surprised that two made it. That seemed to screw up their (possible) original plan to keep Izzo through 4pm so that he could be IR'd as "Eligible to Return."
I think it was the other way. If they didn’t get anyone they could still wait a day on Izzo. More why not than a plan.

It's possible that both these guys are cut/waived before Wednesday, and that the Pats replace them with an 8th OL (4th OT) and McCarron for Sunday.
I can’t see activating McCarron when they cut him. If that was part of the plan there was no reason to expose him to waivers. Freeing hr spot served no purpose at all.
8th OL is not a necessity this week as they would be inactive anyway. I’m thinking add a vet after week 1 so you aren’t on the hook for the full years salary.

Since both Hansen and Darboh have already cleared waivers down as far as the Pats at #31, it seems likely that one or both may clear again and be signed to the PS.
That voids their rookie contracts though and makes them a fa next year.
I could see Grissom, Crossen, Jackson, going instead.

I think they have 2 IR-DFR slots which would create two openings without exposing anyone to waivers? So over the next few weeks if both new receivers are cut, one to the PS, and two guys go on the IR-DFR after getting nicked up, there are slots for Croston/Tobin, Bolden, Edelman and Dez. :D

Edelman is signed through 2019, but none of Hogan, Dorsett or Patterson is signed beyond the end of this season.

McCarron is ERFA at the end of 2018, which is almost equivalent to being signed through 2019.

Berrios is signed through 2021.
I think McCarron no longer had a contract because he was released then added to the ps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back