PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Free Agency -- Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happened to not being allowed to release injured players without a settlement?

He’s a vested player, so he gets paid just the same. Releasing him allows the Nyets to add another player to their 53 man roster until Pryor is healthy and re-signs to continue playing. They don’t have to wait 8 weeks or use a return designation to get him back on the 53 when he’s ready to play again.

The downside is the player could conceivably sign with another team when healthy instead.

Raiders just got a first round pick from the Cowboys, for Amari Cooper.

interesting to have 2 long snappers working out . OLB Kuntz who spent one day on Pats TC last yr before BB traded for M.Flowers has also LS experience. Hopefully nothing about Cardona's other duties. Kuntz is an interesting PS option in any case.

Thought he could be an interesting chess piece. Can cover TEs and RBs, even if he's not a traditional safety. He's also pretty good in press man against big WRs, just not little quick guys. I'll never forget when the Raiders put him on Cooks in single coverage and got burned. Bad coaching on their part. He's got a lot of natural ability, if a team can come up with a gameplan for him, since he's not really a traditional safety.

Last edited:
interesting to have 2 long snappers working out . OLB Kuntz who spent one day on Pats TC last yr before BB traded for M.Flowers has also LS experience. Hopefully nothing about Cardona's other duties. Kuntz is an interesting PS option in any case.

In my ideal world Kuntz would become an all time great and we'd all be wearing Kuntz jerseys.

And don't tell me if I'm pronouncing it wrong, I don't want to know.

In my ideal world Kuntz would become an all time great and we'd all be wearing Kuntz jerseys.

Yeah, you know you've got your Kuntz all wrong. And I bet that's not the first time you've heard that.

Yeah, you know you've got your Kuntz all wrong. And I bet that's not the first time you've heard that.

I tend to just tune that sort of feedback out.

Raiders cut Obi Melifonwu, a safety taken 56th last year. Pats should look to sign him to their practice squad if he is not signed to someone's 53. He was overdrafted but cutting him at this point is strange. Go Gruden!

6-4, 225, from UConn, born in South Grafton, Mass. Available film shows a good downhill tackler who has solid ball skills, is not a good cover guy, does not always take good angles, and gets caught looking in the backfield a good amount. Was waive/injured, reverted to injured reserve at cut time, and just waived from injured reserve. This suggests he is healthy and wishes to play. He has had some serious injury concerns with Oakland so he would fit right in. Sign this bust/beast to the practice squad ala Corey Coleman and see if you can turn him into a coverage linebacker/big safety in the mold of Tank Williams, Josh Barrett and Jordan Richards!

And in related news---let's make a trade with the Raiders

Raiders cut Obi Melifonwu, a safety taken 56th last year. Pats should look to sign him to their practice squad if he is not signed to someone's 53. He was overdrafted but cutting him at this point is strange. Go Gruden!

6-4, 225, from UConn, born in South Grafton, Mass. Available film shows a good downhill tackler who has solid ball skills, is not a good cover guy, does not always take good angles, and gets caught looking in the backfield a good amount. Was waive/injured, reverted to injured reserve at cut time, and just waived from injured reserve. This suggests he is healthy and wishes to play. He has had some serious injury concerns with Oakland so he would fit right in. Sign this bust/beast to the practice squad ala Corey Coleman and see if you can turn him into a coverage linebacker/big safety in the mold of Tank Williams, Josh Barrett and Jordan Richards!

And in related news---let's make a trade with the Raiders
He might be worth a flier, but I think he’d have to be signed to the active roster for three weeks before being cut again in hopes of stashing him on the PS. Not sure that Belichick would do that.

I tend to just tune that sort of feedback out.
If you know you’ve tried your best when your head hits the pillow at night, that’s all that matters.

He might be worth a flier, but I think he’d have to be signed to the active roster for three weeks before being cut again in hopes of stashing him on the PS. Not sure that Belichick would do that.

AFAIK, Obi is a free agent, not on any PS.

I like Kuntz.

He’s a good football player. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back