PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Free Agency -- Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow at that Gurley contract. Hopefully this sticks some more needles in the Bell/Steelers negotiations..

Eddie Pleasant is a viable S4 candidate.
Good ster, and payed an average of about 20 snaps a game on d as a SS. Could be a backup big nickel guy.
Could be, here, but he shouldn't be.

Free agent FS Tre Boston to sign with Cardinals, according to Adam Schefter. Sad.

Boston would of been a very good signing.
How much did ARZ give him? If it’s under 4m, I may be inclined to agree. If it’s under 3m, I’ll consider it a very good signing.

Even with paying our 3 starters, I still think it made some sense to prepare for injury and attempt to upgrade the S4 position, but I highly doubt that Bill would agree with me.

How much did ARZ give him? If it’s under 4m, I may be inclined to agree. If it’s under 3m, I’ll consider it a very good signing.

Even with paying our 3 starters, I still think it made some sense to prepare for injury and attempt to upgrade the S4 position, but I highly doubt that Bill would agree with me.

Not a chance money wise at the S4 spot with the money tied up to the other three.

Not a chance money wise at the S4 spot with the money tied up to the other three.
Well, as much as I would like to see an improvement in the depth and possibly player for the future at a reasonable cost (Boston had 5 INTs last year), I do think that you’re right. There’s no way Belichick was going to dedicate more money at the position after recently extending both Chung and Harmon.

But...if it’s somehow under 3m dollars a year, I’m still going to be annoyed. :) Ultimately, I don’t think Bill saw much reason to spend any money at a position that has three quality players (and Richards).

Well, as much as I would like to see an improvement in the depth and possibly player for the future at a reasonable cost (Boston had 5 INTs last year), I do think that you’re right. There’s no way Belichick was going to dedicate more money at the position after recently extending both Chung and Harmon.

But...if it’s somehow under 3m dollars a year, I’m still going to be annoyed. :) Ultimately, I don’t think Bill saw much reason to spend any money at a position that has three quality players (and Richards).

I just wonder if Reid is untouchable at this point even playing at the vet minimum.

The guy can flat out play. It’s a shame he can’t get a job over these bums safeties that are signing.
I agree with you that Reid is pretty darned good, but I’m not as sure about calling Tre Boston a bum safety. He had five picks and eight passes defended, last year. He’s not too shabby.

...It’s a shame he can’t get a job over these bums safeties that are signing.

I agree with you that Reid is pretty darned good, but I’m not as sure about calling Tre Boston a bum safety. He had five picks and eight passes defended, last year. He’s not too shabby.
Not sure if Numero1 is referring to Tre Boston or, more likely than not, to useless fodder like Eddie Pleasant.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">In another expected, but significant move: The <a href="#Seahawks hashtag on Twitter">#Seahawks</a> waived defensive end Malik McDowell, former second rounder, with the non-football injury designation prior to the start of training camp Thursday.</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="">July 26, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Here's a good explainer of the Aaron Donald situation. He's holding out currently:

https://deadspin.com/aaron-donald-is-digging-in-1827891626

Here's an interesting stat from that article:

Only four of the 28 teams to have reached the conference championship game since 2011 had non-QBs who accounted for more than 10 percent of their cap

i.e. teams that overpay any single player other than their QB tend to do worse. Of course, 7 of those 28 teams were the Pats. But that's worth keeping in mind when you hear the (misguided) argument that "The Patriots never pay their players".

Here's a good explainer of the Aaron Donald situation. He's holding out currently:

https://deadspin.com/aaron-donald-is-digging-in-1827891626

Here's an interesting stat from that article:

i.e. teams that overpay any single player other than their QB tend to do worse. Of course, 7 of those 28 teams were the Pats. But that's worth keeping in mind when you hear the (misguided) argument that "The Patriots never pay their players".

I would hold out if i am donald as well. Everyone’s getting paid. Cooks, etc minus me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes