PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Draft Prospect Thread

Without looking ahead, one next year might be better. But a developmental QB is certainly a need.

I'm going all in for the next two years. Considering that's basically what we
did this year. Traded for Cooks, Ealy, Marsh, Allen and M. Flowers. I'm content
to wait on a qb until TB12 hangs em up. If we suck for a year, makes it easier to
trade up or have one fall to you.

Going to look into Kyle Laueltta again..

That's pretty cool! Might I suggest putting it in its own thread, though? Might get lost in this one, since it's a long discussion mostly about prospects.

Not a problem, didn't know where we should chuck it through...

Quick Question whats your thoughts on Mike Gesicki?

He'll have to be in a certain type offense most likely. One thing so noted was his hands & the fact that he doubles, triple clutches the ball to get the tightest grip he can. No grip will cause a ball to sail. Not to mention he just doesn't have the greatest arm. Arm strength can improve, some but he'll never have a cannon.

To be fair to Lauletta he's shown the ability to overcome it thus far. But what happens when you introduce NFL athletes making plays on the ball. Same but different concern I had with Falk but Lauletta has real velocity at least.

It’s not even his deep balls that concern me although I fear free safeties will salivate but his fluttering balls over the middle or even on screens. I admire his effort and almost every other part of his game but that lack of an arm does really concern me. Brady throws missiles, even on shorter passes, sometimes to a fault, that will never be Lauletta’s game.

I'm going all in for the next two years. Considering that's basically what we
did this year. Traded for Cooks, Ealy, Marsh, Allen and M. Flowers. I'm content
to wait on a qb until TB12 hangs em up. If we suck for a year, makes it easier to
trade up or have one fall to you.

The window is certainly closing, especially with Gronk’s thinking about retirement and this team needs an injection of young talent. However, I’m easy either way; a developmental QB is definitely a need so I’ll be fine with drafting one but won’t be terribly disappointed if we don’t because we’ll get some talent instead (so long as it’s not a 2nd round DB).

It’s not even his deep balls that concern me although I fear free safeties will salivate but his fluttering balls over the middle or even on screens. I admire his effort and almost every other part of his game but that lack of an arm does really concern me. Brady throws missiles, even on shorter passes, sometimes to a fault, that will never be Lauletta’s game.

Idk I disagree about short/intermediate areas. There def are times but he has plenty of velocity to work those parts imo. Deep ball is a legit concern that worries me bc teams will force him to beat him deep.
He needs a lot to right to succeed but so does 95% of the QB'S currently playing or awaiting to get drafted.

Vita Vea if he falls into the 25th pick in the first do we trade up for him..

Vita Vea if he falls into the 25th pick in the first do we trade up for him..

I doubt he falls out of the top 15. As a fan, I make that trade up without thinking twice. Will the NE brainstrust do the same? I rather doubt it, although there is some precedent (Chandler Jones and Don'ta Hightower, for example). That seemed to work out okay, if I recall.

gotta fix the guts of the team.........ain't going anywhere without good LB play.....couple of good sized 4.6-4.7 guys who can either cover or take on an OG or both......will make everyone around them better

Leighton Vander Esch:
…STRENGTHS
Looks the part of a modern day NFL linebacker with a strapping, well-built frame including broad shoulders, long arms, a tapered middle and good overall weight distribution. Shows very good key and diagnosis skills, frequenting taking steps towards the direction of the play even before the snap. Shows aggression, as well as good body control and strong technique in taking on, alternately using his length and powerful hands to initiate the contract and disengage quickly or turning his frame to offer just a shoulder (thereby leaving little target for blockers to hit) and sliding off to get in on the tackle of the ball-carrier. A very reliable open-field tackler, using his long arms to trip up ball-carriers seemingly out of his grasp and using textbook hit-life-drive technique to stop even talented runners in their tracks (San Diego State-2017). Impressive agility, body control and speed for a man of his size. Slides well laterally and shows the easy hip turn and smooth acceleration to change directions for coverage duties or when avoiding would-be blockers on the blitz... Basketball (and experience on offense) shows in his comfort boxing out would-be receivers and turning pass breakups into interceptions, with three takeaways on just six career passes defensed. Voted a team captain in 2017... -- Rob Rang 1/7/2018

WEAKNESSES
Possesses relatively long legs for an inside linebacker, which leaves him vulnerable to cut-blocks, an area that he could improve with greater awareness and technique to sprawl and use his length to defeat them. While generally showing impressive body control for his size, Vander Esch can get greedy, getting too far over his skis and lunging at ball-carriers, rather than breaking down. Needs to show greater variance as a pass rusher, relying upon his length, physicality and agility to physically beat blocks but showing little technique. Comes with legitimate one-year wonder and level of competition questions. Missed seven games in 2016 due to an undisclosed injury which teams may need to investigate at the Combine. Hails from a small rural town and may struggle acclimating to larger media market. - Rob Rang 1/7/2018

COMPARES TO : 2018 Hall of Fame finalist Brian Urlacher, Bears - It might seem presumptuous to compare Vander Esch - essentially a one-year wonder - to Urlacher, who recorded an eye-popping 1,229 tackles and 41.5 sacks over his 13 NFL seasons, all in Chicago. There are some eerie similarities between the two, however, not the least of which are their similar sizes, athleticism, physical tackling and small-school backgrounds. It is worth remembering that prior to earning the No. 9 overall pick in 2000, the 6-4, 258 pound Urlacher also fell off the recruiting radar after playing eight-man football in high school and played his college ball at New Mexico before

Hercules Ma'taafa:
STRENGTHS
Owns perhaps the best get-off of any player in college football. Absolutely explodes off the snap, firing through gaps as if shot from a cannon and living in the backfield, creating even more plays than his gaudy 47 career tackles for loss and 22.5 sacks would suggest... Terrific agility, showing light feet and the flexibility in his core to dip and slip around would-be blockers, presenting all kinds of options on twists, stunts and blitzes. Does a nice job of twisting his frame to "get skinny" leaving blockers little surface area to punch... Shows impressive ball awareness and instincts, anticipating the action and rarely losing sight of the football, showing balance and closing speed while stalking the ball-carrier. Physical wrap-up tackler who can generate impressive collisions (Utah-2017) when he has a lane and shows good hand-eye coordination to rip or slap the ball away. Good toughness at the point of attack and is surprisingly powerful, anchoring better than you'd think based on good knee bend and leg drive. Passionate defender who pursues hard laterally and downfield. -- Rob Rang 1/5/2017

WEAKNESSES
Too small to remain a full-time defensive tackle in the NFL and lacks an ideal frame to add significant weight with relatively slim shoulders and hips. Rarely asked to rush out of the two-point stance and may require significant patience in learning this technique. Needs to show greater awareness of cut-blocks, occasionally being knocked off his feet, though to his credit Mata'afa doesn't stay down for long. Reliant upon his quickness and agility to slip by blockers, lacking the refined hand technique and strength to consistently disengage once opponents latch on. Simply lacks the bulk to hold up to double-teams, getting ridden out of the play when he is unable to split the block. Must keep his emotions under control, occasionally complaining to referees and losing his composure in the 2017 Apple Cup rivalry game against Washington with a targeting penalty that earned him an ejection. - Rob Rang 1/3/2017

COMPARES TO: Tedy Bruschi, Patriots (retired) - Most remember Bruschi as a fierce inside linebacker in New England but before his noteworthy NFL career, he was a dominant (albeit undersized) defensive lineman at the University of Arizona. Like Mata'afa, the 6-1, 247 pound Bruschi was virtually unstoppable at the college level, leaving the Wildcats' famed "Desert Swarm" defense as the co-holder of the NCAA career sack record with 52 after earning first-team All-Pac-10 honors his final three seasons. Bruschi was drafted in the third round by New England and converted to inside linebacker, where he'd play 13 seasons (all in New England), earning All-Pro honors twice and helping the Patriots win three Super Bowls.

gotta fix the guts of the team.........ain't going anywhere without good LB play.....couple of good sized 4.6-4.7 guys who can either cover or take on an OG or both......will make everyone around them better

Leighton Vander Esch:
…STRENGTHS
Looks the part of a modern day NFL linebacker with a strapping, well-built frame including broad shoulders, long arms, a tapered middle and good overall weight distribution. Shows very good key and diagnosis skills, frequenting taking steps towards the direction of the play even before the snap. Shows aggression, as well as good body control and strong technique in taking on, alternately using his length and powerful hands to initiate the contract and disengage quickly or turning his frame to offer just a shoulder (thereby leaving little target for blockers to hit) and sliding off to get in on the tackle of the ball-carrier. A very reliable open-field tackler, using his long arms to trip up ball-carriers seemingly out of his grasp and using textbook hit-life-drive technique to stop even talented runners in their tracks (San Diego State-2017). Impressive agility, body control and speed for a man of his size. Slides well laterally and shows the easy hip turn and smooth acceleration to change directions for coverage duties or when avoiding would-be blockers on the blitz... Basketball (and experience on offense) shows in his comfort boxing out would-be receivers and turning pass breakups into interceptions, with three takeaways on just six career passes defensed. Voted a team captain in 2017... -- Rob Rang 1/7/2018

WEAKNESSES
Possesses relatively long legs for an inside linebacker, which leaves him vulnerable to cut-blocks, an area that he could improve with greater awareness and technique to sprawl and use his length to defeat them. While generally showing impressive body control for his size, Vander Esch can get greedy, getting too far over his skis and lunging at ball-carriers, rather than breaking down. Needs to show greater variance as a pass rusher, relying upon his length, physicality and agility to physically beat blocks but showing little technique. Comes with legitimate one-year wonder and level of competition questions. Missed seven games in 2016 due to an undisclosed injury which teams may need to investigate at the Combine. Hails from a small rural town and may struggle acclimating to larger media market. - Rob Rang 1/7/2018

COMPARES TO : 2018 Hall of Fame finalist Brian Urlacher, Bears - It might seem presumptuous to compare Vander Esch - essentially a one-year wonder - to Urlacher, who recorded an eye-popping 1,229 tackles and 41.5 sacks over his 13 NFL seasons, all in Chicago. There are some eerie similarities between the two, however, not the least of which are their similar sizes, athleticism, physical tackling and small-school backgrounds. It is worth remembering that prior to earning the No. 9 overall pick in 2000, the 6-4, 258 pound Urlacher also fell off the recruiting radar after playing eight-man football in high school and played his college ball at New Mexico before

Hercules Ma'taafa:
STRENGTHS
Owns perhaps the best get-off of any player in college football. Absolutely explodes off the snap, firing through gaps as if shot from a cannon and living in the backfield, creating even more plays than his gaudy 47 career tackles for loss and 22.5 sacks would suggest... Terrific agility, showing light feet and the flexibility in his core to dip and slip around would-be blockers, presenting all kinds of options on twists, stunts and blitzes. Does a nice job of twisting his frame to "get skinny" leaving blockers little surface area to punch... Shows impressive ball awareness and instincts, anticipating the action and rarely losing sight of the football, showing balance and closing speed while stalking the ball-carrier. Physical wrap-up tackler who can generate impressive collisions (Utah-2017) when he has a lane and shows good hand-eye coordination to rip or slap the ball away. Good toughness at the point of attack and is surprisingly powerful, anchoring better than you'd think based on good knee bend and leg drive. Passionate defender who pursues hard laterally and downfield. -- Rob Rang 1/5/2017

WEAKNESSES
Too small to remain a full-time defensive tackle in the NFL and lacks an ideal frame to add significant weight with relatively slim shoulders and hips. Rarely asked to rush out of the two-point stance and may require significant patience in learning this technique. Needs to show greater awareness of cut-blocks, occasionally being knocked off his feet, though to his credit Mata'afa doesn't stay down for long. Reliant upon his quickness and agility to slip by blockers, lacking the refined hand technique and strength to consistently disengage once opponents latch on. Simply lacks the bulk to hold up to double-teams, getting ridden out of the play when he is unable to split the block. Must keep his emotions under control, occasionally complaining to referees and losing his composure in the 2017 Apple Cup rivalry game against Washington with a targeting penalty that earned him an ejection. - Rob Rang 1/3/2017

COMPARES TO: Tedy Bruschi, Patriots (retired) - Most remember Bruschi as a fierce inside linebacker in New England but before his noteworthy NFL career, he was a dominant (albeit undersized) defensive lineman at the University of Arizona. Like Mata'afa, the 6-1, 247 pound Bruschi was virtually unstoppable at the college level, leaving the Wildcats' famed "Desert Swarm" defense as the co-holder of the NCAA career sack record with 52 after earning first-team All-Pac-10 honors his final three seasons. Bruschi was drafted in the third round by New England and converted to inside linebacker, where he'd play 13 seasons (all in New England), earning All-Pro honors twice and helping the Patriots win three Super Bowls.

We easily could have been SB champs. People freaking out about LB's apparently haven't come to the understanding that the position gets taking off the field more than any other in the sport.

We easily could have been SB champs. People freaking out about LB's apparently haven't come to the understanding that the position gets taking off the field more than any other in the sport.

BGC this may be true...but Roberts and Harrison were on the field a lil too much for my liking in the SB.

Not to mention Hightower coming off an injury similar to Mayo's, and I think is almost around the same age as Mayo when he started to break down.

LB needs to be upgraded.

you are wrong........the DL (in particular DT) plays fewer snaps than anyone else on defense

in order to have a good defense, you need good LB's ..... period ...... case closed

you are wrong........the DL (in particular DT) plays fewer snaps than anyone else on defense

in order to have a good defense, you need good LB's ..... period ...... case closed

LOL How can I be wrong when I never said, suggested anything about snaps? You plugged in?

LB's get taken off the field more than any position on defense and it's actually not an opinion. Teams aren't combating offensive machines with more linebackers.

@reamer @BaconGrundleCandy

What are your guys thoughts on Ogbonnia Okoronkwo..

Personally i think he has a very good chance of him falling to us. Has a very good step, very good spin moves, he's relentless and he can also cover RBs if he's asked to..

I have him as a second rounder and would be surprised if he fell any further than the second round.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back