PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Combine

Yeah, I just wanted to highlight his movement ability. He's really good in space. Warner is another guy who looks like a corner at times. Turay is also super smooth in coverage. Too bad he tweaked his hammy. That's always been the knock on him, though. Nicked up a lot.

I started a Gif thread recently. I'll try to populate it with clips more frequently, for people who don't have as much time to kill (although my boss probably wishes I did less on the draft and more on my job when I'm in the office).

It's just work and this only takes up about nine months a year of your time

Seems like this is a really deep draft. I don’t study up on it nearly as much as a lot of you guys do (thank you very much for your posts, it’s needed for this grieving Pats fan more than you can know) but normally I’m only diggin’ a few guys that are far outta reach, and then have a few binkies here and there. This year though, I like A LOT of players available. I’m so happy there are so many damn qb’s projected for the first. It just pushes more talent down. I’d love to see a few trades take place that gives us a stockpile of 2-4 picks, and then just go to town after UDFA’s. I want versatile athletes with some serious ****ing attitudes. Make it happen Bill!!!!

By the way, shocked this guy weighed in and tested so well. I had heard rumors he was only 215, so the workout he put on at this size is phenomenal. He always flashed for me when watching tape on James or Sweat. Matches Oren Burks across the board. Good for him!

NFL Draft & Combine Profile - MATTHEW THOMAS | NFL.com

His teammate Pugh excelled as well. Stacked team that underperformed.

Hopefully a goood linebacker will be there at 31. Idk if there will be one at 43. Maybe. I like burks or vander esch.

Matthew Thomas from FSU put up ridiculous numbers but he was dissapointing at FSU. He was a big time recruit.

Last edited:
Seems like this is a really deep draft. I don’t study up on it nearly as much as a lot of you guys do (thank you very much for your posts, it’s needed for this grieving Pats fan more than you can know) but normally I’m only diggin’ a few guys that are far outta reach, and then have a few binkies here and there. This year though, I like A LOT of players available. I’m so happy there are so many damn qb’s projected for the first. It just pushes more talent down. I’d love to see a few trades take place that gives us a stockpile of 2-4 picks, and then just go to town after UDFA’s. I want versatile athletes with some serious ****ing attitudes. Make it happen Bill!!!!

I wouldn't move down. This team needs a talented player at LB. Idk what they will do in free agency but I would focus on the defense mostly.

Dissapointed with Armstrong from Kansas. I thought he would put up a better 40 time.

Is Phillips from Stanford still projected in the first round? I thought his numbers where dissapointing.

What’s going on with all of the Florida State LB’s and DE’s ? All of them put up impressive workout numbers. On the draftbreakdown clips, Matthew Thomas appears to out perform the others.

According to teams, Leighton Vander Esch has been crushing interviews and continues to impress people. After weighing in at 256 pounds and completing 20 reps on the bench, the Boise State linebacker is hoping to run under 4.7 in the 40-yard dash. Truth be told, anything at or below 4.75 would be a great time. I’ve been told the Green Bay Packers are very high on Vander Esch and that he won’t get past the Pittsburgh Steelers in Round 1.

Well then.. RIP the dream..

I wouldn't move down. This team needs a talented player at LB. Idk what they will do in free agency but I would focus on the defense mostly.

Every year you keep arguing not to trade down as if the gap from 31 to 43 is that huge. The reality is that after the first 10-15 picks (and sometimes even less) there is no clear BPA anymore but team middle/longterm needs start to dominate picks.

There are only so many blue chip players around each year and once they are gone overall it really doesnt matter too much anymore. The only true difference between 31 and 43 is the fifth year option.

Obviously if someone who the scouting department thinks of as a starter (e.g. Malcom Brown) gets past teams that were projected (by your own scouting dept) to take him it is a different story.

In other words 31 doesnt make it any more or less likely to produce an impact player than 43. Lombardi said it last year.. Draft picks by themselves are overrated. What you need are players attached to that draft pick.

I want Griffin on this team. It is soooo hard not to like the guy. Intangibles through the roof, great athleticism. All he needs is a good coaching staff and that kid will be a star.
Maybe some position flexibility as well. He can probably play a little safety too.

Every year you keep arguing not to trade down as if the gap from 31 to 43 is that huge. The reality is that after the first 10-15 picks (and sometimes even less) there is no clear BPA anymore but team middle/longterm needs start to dominate picks.

There are only so many blue chip players around each year and once they are gone overall it really doesnt matter too much anymore. The only true difference between 31 and 43 is the fifth year option.

Obviously if someone who the scouting department thinks of as a starter (e.g. Malcom Brown) gets past teams that were projected (by your own scouting dept) to take him it is a different story.

In other words 31 doesnt make it any more or less likely to produce an impact player than 43. Lombardi said it last year.. Draft picks by themselves are overrated. What you need are players attached to that draft pick.
A lot of people forget that the 2014 and 2016 squads were built primarily based on trading down in prior seasons and obtaining more picks.

Is Phillips from Stanford still projected in the first round? I thought his numbers where dissapointing.

Disappointing?? What did you want him to do, shoot lasers from his eyes? I think you fixate on the 40. Phillips had a great Combine in everything that matters for a DT. If he has to run 40 yards, something is really wrong on defense.

Harrison Phillips - MockDraftable

Armstrong didn't have a blazing 40 (still tied Chandler Jones and was faster than Flowers) or impressive vertical, but he did well in every other metric. I only care about jumps if they're both bad.

Dorance Armstrong - MockDraftable

Really, it's fun to hype players based on great numbers, but it's just a "win-more" scenario. Mostly, as long as they're meeting benchmarks, it doesn't matter what they score. Sometimes you'll get a truly phenomenal performance that shows franchise-changing potential, but usually the Combine's value is in medical evaluations, interviews, on field drills, and lastly, eliminating athletes who can't reach the minimum requirements for the position.

People get caught up on numbers. Scout with your eyes, not your calculator.

Was just wondering if you could explain this to me?

Sure. The guy maintains a database of all test scores. The record for each drill, relative to position, is the theoretical maximum score (out of 10). Each prospect's numbers are matched against historical figures and assigned an individual and then cumulative grade. I believe it's weighted for size as well, but I haven't broken down the algorithm.

Last edited:
Disappointing?? What did you want him to do, shoot lasers from his eyes? I think you fixate on the 40. Phillips had a great Combine in everything that matters for a DT. If he has to run 40 yards, something is really wrong on defense.

Harrison Phillips - MockDraftable

Armstrong didn't have a blazing 40 (still tied Chandler Jones and was faster than Flowers) or impressive vertical, but he did well in every other metric. I only care about jumps if they're both bad.

Dorance Armstrong - MockDraftable

Really, it's fun to hype players based on great numbers, but it's just a "win-more" scenario. Mostly, as long as they're meeting benchmarks, it doesn't matter what they score. Sometimes you'll get a truly phenomenal performance that shows franchise-changing potential, but usually the Combine's value is in medical evaluations, interviews, on field drills, and lastly, eliminating athletes who can't reach the minimum requirements for the position.

People get caught up on numbers. Scout with your eyes, not your calculator.

Couldn't agree more. Production on the field of play is more important to me than the vast majority of these combine metrics. It's why I'm wary about the likes of Sam Hubbard as a 1st rounder, who has all the boxes ticked, but hasn't really ever put it together on the field.

Sure. The guy maintains a database of all test scores. The record for each drill, relative to position, is the theoretical maximum score (out of 10). Each prospect's numbers are matches against historical figures and assigned an individual and then cumulative grade. I believe it's weighted for size as well, but I haven't broken down there algorithm.

Thank you for explaining, never seen this before so just wanted a better understanding! I imagine you can compare it to other players over the years?

Maybe some position flexibility as well. He can probably play a little safety too.

He could even be a SS/LB in some packages, i'd also like to see him against some RBs as well. His speed is insane

He could even be a SS/LB in some packages, i'd also like to see him against some RBs as well. His speed is insane
His change of direction seemed to be very good as well when I caught UCF games last season. If he had two hands, I think he’d be a consensus top 10 pick.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back