PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018-19 Stanley Cup - Bruins vs Blues

Another positive stats, Bruins are 6-2 on the road in the playoffs, Blues are 5-5 at home. Take at least one there and they're back in the driver's seat. Take two even better.

Another positive stats, Bruins are 6-2 on the road in the playoffs, Blues are 5-5 at home. Take at least one there and they're back in the driver's seat. Take two even better.
That OT loss was definitely a gut punch at the time, but I'm back to still really liking this team and their chances. I'd be surprised if St. Louis can continue to keep the Bergy/Marchand/Pasta line in check. I expect them to explode pretty soon and wouldn't be surprised if it was game 3.

Ignoring the blue line/goal line aspect of the convo, I go back to the point you and I discussed last night.

Why didn't Sunny maintain his angle of attack (watch the video, specifically his alteration of his blades as he approaches) and hit Gryz in the right shoulder as he clearly was going to do?

If Sunny hits him where he intended to, it probably isn't even a penalty (although it could still be a big hit given Gryz's smaller size). Him cutting back left, when Gryz's head and neck are fully exposed to his left, is where Sunny "lost" the claim of "it was too late in the process, I couldn't stop".

I don't think anyone with two firing synapses expected Sunny to stop. Not physically feasible.

But changing the hit he was going for erases the notion that it was bang bang.

EDIT TO ADD - And I fully get and appreciate fans will see what they want to see. Thats natural. I just don't think his changing of his angle of attack is really that subjective of a take. He clearly did it.

I get it, your ignoring the blue line comment because you know it’s rediculous to begin with lol.

Now with the rest of this what we’re left with is arguing the intent. And why? Because of the NHLs inconsistencies with these types of suspensions. Now in the future if they just flat out say “ Any hits that result in contact to the head result in suspension” that’s cut and dry and will set some consistency. That’s not what’s happening now. They’re judging suspensions based on the result of the hit, not the hit itself using the cover of judging intent as their bases of the suspension if that makes sense lol.

You can argue Sunny turned to brace for his own impact once Gryz lost control.

I expect a split being 2-2 heading back to Boston.

I wouldn't.

If this series returns to Boston at 2-2, then the Blues did something wrong in Saint Louis.

Yeah but throughout the playoffs the blues have been pretty average at home. I have no issues playing twice in Boston If this becomes a best of 3. Blues have played much better on the road.

I get it, your ignoring the blue line comment because you know it’s rediculous to begin with lol.

Now with the rest of this what we’re left with is arguing the intent. And why? Because of the NHLs inconsistencies with these types of suspensions. Now in the future if they just flat out say “ Any hits that result in contact to the head result in suspension” that’s cut and dry and will set some consistency. That’s not what’s happening now. They’re judging suspensions based on the result of the hit, not the hit itself using the cover of judging intent as their bases of the suspension if that makes sense lol.

You can argue Sunny turned to brace for his own impact once Gryz lost control.
I ignored the blue line because that was somewhere around 25 feet back up ice from where they were.

Yes I think his change in AoA shows intent; although I don’t think there are many players that intend to hurt someone specifically.

As I said further up thread, the current situation is untenable; the refs on ice are limited to what “they saw” and have no real in between penalty. Do you give five and the game or two based on what you think you saw?

For hits like this I think there should be either a new option penalty wise that strikes a balance or given they already get together to discuss the call; allow review for targeting and adjudicate accordingly.

They need to get past this “we did too much and allowed SJ to get back into the game” or “we didn’t do enough so we suspend after the fact”

I ignored the blue line because that was somewhere around 25 feet back up ice from where they were.

Yes I think his change in AoA shows intent; although I don’t think there are many players that intend to hurt someone specifically.

As I said further up thread, the current situation is untenable; the refs on ice are limited to what “they saw” and have no real in between penalty. Do you give five and the game or two based on what you think you saw?

For hits like this I think there should be either a new option penalty wise that strikes a balance or given they already get together to discuss the call; allow review for targeting and adjudicate accordingly.

They need to get past this “we did too much and allowed SJ to get back into the game” or “we didn’t do enough so we suspend after the fact”

Let’s just agree the blue line comment was rediculous. He’s not going to lock onto the players back that far away as the player is circling around the back of the rink.

IMO a 4 min double minor would be an in between if you decide it’s worth more than 2 min but less than the 5 min major. Based on what I saw, I think 2 was the acceptable call. I could even see the 4 min double minor but I think I’ve made my feelings known about a 5 min major or suspension.

Let’s just agree the blue line comment was rediculous. He’s not going to lock onto the players back that far away as the player is circling around the back of the rink.

IMO a 4 min double minor would be an in between if you decide it’s worth more than 2 min but less than the 5 min major. Based on what I saw, I think 2 was the acceptable call. I could even see the 4 min double minor but I think I’ve made my feelings known about a 5 min major or suspension.

You have. Here’s where it loses me.

McAvoy got two for a “head shot” that the player left the ice on his own power and, due to the intermission, didn’t miss a shift.

The NHL already takes into account injury with minors; 2 vs 4.

It was clear to most observers Gryz wasn’t coming back....and yes I think that should factor into the call. This wasn’t just a hit that the player got hurt [pick your own Scott Stevens hit as an example], there was some “dirt” in it.

5 and the game is what I would have given and no suspension. The suspension is the post facto clean up.

We’ll agree to disagree and that’s ok

You have. Here’s where it loses me.

McAvoy got two for a “head shot” that the player left the ice on his own power and, due to the intermission, didn’t miss a shift.

The NHL already takes into account injury with minors; 2 vs 4.

It was clear to most observers Gryz wasn’t coming back....and yes I think that should factor into the call. This wasn’t just a hit that the player got hurt [pick your own Scott Stevens hit as an example], there was some “dirt” in it.

5 and the game is what I would have given and no suspension. The suspension is the post facto clean up.

We’ll agree to disagree and that’s ok

That’s what makes this board fun. At the end of the day we have our opinions and there’s no hard feelings.

That’s what makes this board fun. At the end of the day we have our opinions and there’s no hard feelings.

3787e36910f67d168043a65985a13ad5.gif

Berube the Goon reminds me of this dude:

My brother in law is worried about game 3.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back