PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Training Camp - Day 10 (8/7/17) [Joint Practice with the Jaguars]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they contained the offense they would have been able to protect a 28-3 lead.

The person who made the statement that you disagree with clearly said that he thought that ATL contained the NE offense for more than half of the game.

The person who said that also clearly realizes that that ATL totally failed to contain the NE offense for the rest of the game. Further, it was so bad that you can definitely say that ATL totally failed to contain the NE offense for the game as a whole.

So you seem to be strongly disagreeing with something that was never said.

Not when the game is 60 minutes

Is the amount of time "more than half of the game" also necessarily 60 minutes?

I am not saying that I disagree or agree with the idea that NE's offense was contained at all for any substantial amount of time, I am just pointing out a gap in communication that has gone on and on and on...

Last edited:
If they contained the offense they would have been able to protect a 28-3 lead.
If you want to that a terrible day for he patriots offense and that was the example of containing them I guess we are putting up 700 points this year.

Did the NE defense contain the ATL offense?

If Lucien continues on this trajectory they will need to hide him in preseason games otherwise come September he will be a Jet. I said it before, we are too stacked at WR to carry Carr or him on the 53 unless they can contribute on 2+ ST units (or someone gets injured).

Unfortunately it doesnt seem Lucien or Carr contribute on ST. C.Hollister does but he didn't show much on O yet.
__

I wish there was some way clubs could protect their investment and coaching at least for a few players over 53. If not bigger roster then something like having a chance to place f.e. 4 players on PS without waiving them (just at Sep cut time) . automatically paying them full minimum roster money of course..

Once on PS others can lure them to their teams . but at least you'd have some control that way and at the same time players wouldn't lose money.

546 total yards
43 completed passes
34 points
37 1st downs (and 7/14 conversions)
29 first downs made on 1st or second down.

There has never been a game in the history of the NFL that a defense would say they would feel they controlled the other teams offense with that production.

A defense that "contains" is only part of the equation.

An offense that holds up it's end of the bargain under "complimentary" football is an ae prerequisite if anyone hopes to beat this team.

Defenses that contain a Pats offense to 2 net points through 3 quarters deserve better than punt when starting in Pats territory, fumble, and zero points in field goal range.

Pretty conservative number there PFK. It was 4 only among rookies last yr.:
LeBlanc (CHI), KGH (PHI), Scheu (DEN), B Williams (LAR/CAR).

And loads of other cuts sticking on other rosters: Cooper (DAL), Kline (TEN), D.Roberts (NYJ), A. Johnson (NYJ), Harper (SF,NYJ), Harbor (DET), Keshawn Martin (DET), Halapio (NYG), Snyder (DEN), Humber (BUF), Rufus (WAS,OAK), Vellano (ATL), Sunseri (SF), Cedrick Thompson (MIN,CIN), Dobson (DET/ARI), now Gaffney (JAX), even concussioned Stork got a look from WAS etc.

With this group . 3 might be the number of guys not finding other jobs. Im preparing for painful days since March..;)
I was unclear, sorry. My number was for UDFA cuts including 3 from this year's class.

A defense that "contains" is only part of the equation.

An offense that holds up it's end of the bargain under "complimentary" football is an ae prerequisite if anyone hopes to beat this team.

LGU9WPb.jpg

Don't forget about Langi! Guy was with the starting unit this practice. Is showing off skills in coverage and pass-rushing
You're right. I was just thinking about Langi while I was waiting for you quote to come up. If he doesn't make the final 53, there is no way he makes it to the PS. AND beyond our current UDFA class, we have 2 likely unfortunate losses from last year's UDFA class, in Lucien and Foster who are like to get picked up.

Maybe I was taking these thefts of draft choices from the league too seriously. ;)

Last edited:
By your definition the 01 Pats did not contain the 01 Rams as the Lambs scored 14 4th qtr points in 8 minutes
How many did they score in the game?

The person who made the statement that you disagree with clearly said that he thought that ATL contained the NE offense for more than half of the game.

The person who said that also clearly realizes that that ATL totally failed to contain the NE offense for the rest of the game. Further, it was so bad that you can definitely say that ATL totally failed to contain the NE offense for the game as a whole.

So you seem to be strongly disagreeing with something that was never said.

Is the amount of time "more than half of the game" also necessarily 60 minutes?

I am not saying that I disagree or agree with the idea that NE's offense was contained at all for any substantial amount of time, I am just pointing out a gap in communication that has gone on and on and on...
Ok then I will phrase it another way. " "containing" a team for part of a game while getting torched and lit up overall is not a relevant dynamic to discuss how good an offense or defense is.

Seriously?
Your talking about a player's wife.
Borrow some class

Are you serious? I thought it was a nice compliment.

Did the NE defense contain the ATL offense?
21 points would probably be considered containing that offense but I'm not really into this idea of defining words. What the patriots offense did that day was great. Games are played with the total effect of every play. Letting up 28 in regulation and 34 altogether is not better if you try to look at when the stops occurred.

Denver has no offense. They're not scoring more than 10 points on this defense. That's enough of a reason to feel confident about that match up.

As far as Denver's defense, keep in mind that they had virtually the same personnel in 2014 (when NE put up 40+ points on them) that they did in 2015. The only difference in 2015 was Wade Phillips and NE's injury depleted offense. Wade is gone, and NE has added several weapons over the offseason. If the offense is healthy, they put up 30+ points on Denver.
Also, they CANNOT STOP THE RUN.

21 points, 350'ish total yards...that's a good day against that red-hot Atlanta team last year, yeah.
Agree.

In my debate with Andy the point is the definition of "containment" is relative to the opponent, game, matchup and pace of play.

Doesnt matter. It wasn't for 60 minutes.
That's the point though. A game is a game, a full game. 99% of the time every offense is stopped at times and not stopped at others.
Picking out pieces is pointless.

21 points would probably be considered containing that offense but I'm not really into this idea of defining words. What the patriots offense did that day was great. Games are played with the total effect of every play. Letting up 28 in regulation and 34 altogether is not better if you try to look at when the stops occurred.
You are defining words- which is fine. I am too.

My original point was ATL contained NE for 3+ quarters and you disagree with the premise that ATL contained them at all

That's the point though. A game is a game, a full game. 99% of the time every offense is stopped at times and not stopped at others.
Picking out pieces is pointless.

There is nothing to pick out.

By saying ATL contained NE for 3+ qtrs is not innacurate. It's straightforward as you can get.

Saying ATL contained NE the entire game plus OT would be highly debatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents