PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 . Trade Deadline . thread

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Its the last week before trade deadline. Pats usually make a move or two in both directions so it is reasonable to believe that they will at least be active on the market again. BB said himself yesterday that teams know Pats are always open for business.

Maybe instead of opening a new thread for every name someone wakes up with . we can have one thread that monitors and lists more realistic options. Instead of pure salivation and grass is greener “approach“ we should at least check the realm of availability and purchase (like taking a look at contracts, cap space etc.) and add at least some meat on the bone..
___

Let me start with the name that is circling around lately . has some rationale . and addresses a position still seen as a need (at least in depth) by most fans - pass rusher..

NFL.com:
He missed all last season with a torn ACL, but he's bounced back this autumn with a pair of QB takedowns already. A surprise inactive this past Sunday, Kikaha has the feel of a player being shopped. NESN's Doug Kyed picked out New England as a potential trade partner, which makes plenty of sense for a team in need of pass-rushing help. It wouldn't cost much to acquire Kikaha, and Bill Belichick is one of the NFL's most active wheelers and dealers.
____

PRO:
- Proved pass-rushing talent w impressive rookie season (stopped by continuous streak of injuries (ACL, knee)). Draft take: “Relentless. Bends the edge hard. Plays with his hand on the ground and stands up. Scheme versatile. Intelligent player. Kikaha led the nation in sacks. He gets to the quarterback in a variety of ways. His effort is outstanding. You're drafting him to get to the quarterback.
NFL COMPARISON: Rob Ninkovich“
- Had a good game vs NE in week 2
- Good relationship between NE and NO should make the trade easier if interest

CON:
- Pats already traded for an undersized pass rusher that has some issues containing the edge in Cassius Marsh - unlike him Kikaha is not used much on ST
- With McClellin coming back, extension to KVN (plus his improvement by the game) and going back to the use of High as OLB/MLB part-time pass rusher . in the end this might not be a position of need after all (w full-sized DE certainly more of a depth need)
- His injury history might be #1 reason for his possible availability and expected low price tag . still trading for depth should include more dependability given how banged up the team is already..
____

More on his current status: New Orleans Saints: Hau'oli Kikaha

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind a decent backup TE who's playing behind someone real good. We know it just a matter of time before the Big Guy gets nicked up. I hope we never get to Dwyane Allen getting meaningful reps as the Teams #1 TE.

Grass is GREENer... I see what your subconscious did there...

That said, I like the tweet in the OP, primarily because you can never really have enough apostrophe names.

Seriously though? I’m shortsighted. I would be so all about who to trade for, except things finally looked good last week. Ask me 2-3 weeks ago, I’d be all about the pieces we need.

I think what we need are depth pickups (as hinted in the OP). Don’t take a flyer on a splashy acquisition and end up with Ochostinko scenario. Think of guys who can play within the system and step up if more real talent goes down.

That said, what’s good right now on the O-line market?

It looks like the best position to need right now is WR, where talented but disappointing guys like Kenny Britt, Terrelle Pryor, Martavis Bryant, and Braxton Miller could all be available. None of those would make much sense for the Patriots, though.

If I had to guess one name for the Patriots, it’s Jason McCourty. It made a ton of sense for him to avoid the Patriots in free agency when they appeared to be locked into a Gilmore/Butler/Rowe top 3, but Rowe’s injury, Gilmore’s early struggles, and Butler’s upcoming free agency could open up a 2017 #3 and 2018 #2 CB job for J-Mac.

And of course, it’s just cruel to make him play for the Browns right now.

Buffalo has 5 OTs. Anybody want 1?

What's the story on TE Gary Barnidge Cleveland??

Gary Michael Barnidge (born September 22, 1985) is an American football tight end who is currently a free agent. He was drafted by the Carolina Panthers in the fifth round of the 2008 NFL Draft. He played college football at Louisville. He has also played for Cleveland Browns.

Barnidge played college football at Louisville from 2004 to 2007. He played in 48 games, including 29 starts and recorded 108 receptions for 1,491 yards and 17 touchdowns. He majored in sports administration..

Carolina Panthers

Barnidge was selected by the Carolina Panthers in the fifth round (141st overall) in the 2008 NFL Draft.

With the Panthers, Barnidge's main impact came on special-teams, in 2010, he led the team with 17 special-teams tackles.[1] He would miss the whole 2011 NFL season with a broken ankle suffered in a preseason practice. In 2012, Barnidge recorded his first professional touchdown reception against the Philadelphia Eagles on a 24-yard pass from Cam Newton.

Cleveland Browns[edit]
On March 14, 2013, Barnidge was signed by the Cleveland Browns as an unrestricted free agent.[2] During the 2015 season, Barnidge had a breakout year and finished with 79 receptions for 1,043 receiving yards and nine touchdowns (he had 44 receptions, 603 receiving yards and 3 touchdowns in his previous seven seasons combined). His nine touchdowns tied Hall of Fame tight end Ozzie Newsome's franchise record set in 1979 and ranked No. 4 among all NFL tight ends in 2015.[3] He was voted the best player on the Browns.[4] On December 10, 2015, Barnidge was signed to a 3-year extension worth around $12 million.[5] After the 2015 season, Barnidge made his first Pro Bowl, being voted as an alternate. He was ranked 94th on the NFL Top 100 Players of 2016.[6]

On June 2, 2016, Barnidge underwent a sports hernia surgery.[7] He started all 16 games in 2016, catching 55 passes for 612 yards and two touchdowns.

On April 28, 2017, Barnidge was released by the Browns.[8]

Personal life[edit]
In 2011, Barnidge, along with friend and Louisville Cardinal teammate Breno Giacomini, then of the Seattle Seahawks, started a not-for-profit organization called American Football without Barriers. The organization hosted its first camp in China in March 2013.[9]

Barnidge has appeared on two episodes of Total Divas, an E! Network TV show about WWE Divas going on dates with Rosa Mendes and Summer Rae.[10] He also appeared on an episode of Impact Wrestling, assisting fellow NFL player DeAngelo Williams.[11]

The two names I would try to check into if I were Belichick would be Maxx Williams in Baltimore and Cole Beasley in Dallas. The latter would command higher draft capital (if Dallas were interested in trading him at all) but would give the team the redundancy they need at WR and fit a need. He's also seemingly being underused if not altogether phased out of Dallas' offense. Dallas also has Switzer as a back-up option if they pulled a trigger on a trade for Beasley.

It looks like the best position to need right now is WR, where talented but disappointing guys like Kenny Britt, Terrelle Pryor, Martavis Bryant, and Braxton Miller could all be available. None of those would make much sense for the Patriots, though.

If I had to guess one name for the Patriots, it’s Jason McCourty. It made a ton of sense for him to avoid the Patriots in free agency when they appeared to be locked into a Gilmore/Butler/Rowe top 3, but Rowe’s injury, Gilmore’s early struggles, and Butler’s upcoming free agency could open up a 2017 #3 and 2018 #2 CB job for J-Mac.

And of course, it’s just cruel to make him play for the Browns right now.

McCourty has been their best player all year. Zero chance they trade him. He's enjoying a career renaissance.

Pryor would be extremely interesting. He's probably a year out from meaningful contributions, however.

I'd rather bring back Valentine and McCellin than try to integrate new players, to be honest.

Its the last week before trade deadline. Pats usually make a move or two in both directions so it is reasonable to believe that they will at least be active on the market again. BB said himself yesterday that teams know Pats are always open for business.

Maybe instead of opening a new thread for every name someone wakes up with . we can have one thread that monitors and lists more realistic options. Instead of pure salivation and grass is greener “approach“ we should at least check the realm of availability and purchase (like taking a look at contracts, cap space etc.) and add at least some meat on the bone..
___

Let me start with the name that is circling around lately . has some rationale . and addresses a position still seen as a need (at least in depth) by most fans - pass rusher..

NFL.com:
He missed all last season with a torn ACL, but he's bounced back this autumn with a pair of QB takedowns already. A surprise inactive this past Sunday, Kikaha has the feel of a player being shopped. NESN's Doug Kyed picked out New England as a potential trade partner, which makes plenty of sense for a team in need of pass-rushing help. It wouldn't cost much to acquire Kikaha, and Bill Belichick is one of the NFL's most active wheelers and dealers.
____

PRO:
- Proved pass-rushing talent w impressive rookie season (stopped by continuous streak of injuries (ACL, knee)). Draft take: “Relentless. Bends the edge hard. Plays with his hand on the ground and stands up. Scheme versatile. Intelligent player. Kikaha led the nation in sacks. He gets to the quarterback in a variety of ways. His effort is outstanding. You're drafting him to get to the quarterback.
NFL COMPARISON: Rob Ninkovich“
- Had a good game vs NE in week 2
- Good relationship between NE and NO should make the trade easier if interest

CON:
- Pats already traded for an undersized pass rusher that has some issues containing the edge in Cassius Marsh - unlike him Kikaha is not used much on ST
- With McClellin coming back, extension to KVN (plus his improvement by the game) and going back to the use of High as OLB/MLB part-time pass rusher . in the end this might not be a position of need after all (w full-sized DE certainly more of a depth need)
- His injury history might be #1 reason for his possible availability and expected low price tag . still trading for depth should include more dependability given how banged up the team is already..
____

More on his current status: New Orleans Saints: Hau'oli Kikaha

Loyko tweeted pretty soon after this RapSheet report that he doesnt really think Kikaha would help:

He has been pretty good with those things in the past..

Brought Braxton up myself a few weeks back. Think it is a year too early to expect the Texans to give up on him for cheap. There was also some Lombardi related draft story when the Pats brought him in that I only vaguely remember in one of his GM Street podcasts that made it sound like the Pats were not too impressed with him. Unfortunately I dont remember the details anymore..

Brought Braxton up myself a few weeks back. Think it is a year too early to expect the Texans to give up on him for cheap. There was also some Lombardi related draft story when the Pats brought him in that I only vaguely remember in one of his GM Street podcasts that made it sound like the Pats were not too impressed with him. Unfortunately I dont remember the details anymore..

I think Miller would eventually be pretty good in this offense, but the Texans aren't bailing out on that experiment just yet. I'm much more interested to see if they can try to pry Beasley out of Dallas.

I think Miller would eventually be pretty good in this offense, but the Texans aren't bailing out on that experiment just yet. I'm much more interested to see if they can try to pry Beasley out of Dallas.

I think Beasley will get paid in Dallas. No way they are taking away one of Daks blankets with Witten being at the end of his career and Dez slowly getting there.

Gary Michael Barnidge (born September 22, 1985) is an American football tight end who is currently a free agent. He was drafted by the Carolina Panthers in the fifth round of the 2008 NFL Draft. He played college football at Louisville. He has also played for Cleveland Browns.

Barnidge played college football at Louisville from 2004 to 2007. He played in 48 games, including 29 starts and recorded 108 receptions for 1,491 yards and 17 touchdowns. He majored in sports administration..

Carolina Panthers

Barnidge was selected by the Carolina Panthers in the fifth round (141st overall) in the 2008 NFL Draft.

With the Panthers, Barnidge's main impact came on special-teams, in 2010, he led the team with 17 special-teams tackles.[1] He would miss the whole 2011 NFL season with a broken ankle suffered in a preseason practice. In 2012, Barnidge recorded his first professional touchdown reception against the Philadelphia Eagles on a 24-yard pass from Cam Newton.

Cleveland Browns[edit]
On March 14, 2013, Barnidge was signed by the Cleveland Browns as an unrestricted free agent.[2] During the 2015 season, Barnidge had a breakout year and finished with 79 receptions for 1,043 receiving yards and nine touchdowns (he had 44 receptions, 603 receiving yards and 3 touchdowns in his previous seven seasons combined). His nine touchdowns tied Hall of Fame tight end Ozzie Newsome's franchise record set in 1979 and ranked No. 4 among all NFL tight ends in 2015.[3] He was voted the best player on the Browns.[4] On December 10, 2015, Barnidge was signed to a 3-year extension worth around $12 million.[5] After the 2015 season, Barnidge made his first Pro Bowl, being voted as an alternate. He was ranked 94th on the NFL Top 100 Players of 2016.[6]

On June 2, 2016, Barnidge underwent a sports hernia surgery.[7] He started all 16 games in 2016, catching 55 passes for 612 yards and two touchdowns.

On April 28, 2017, Barnidge was released by the Browns.[8]

Personal life[edit]
In 2011, Barnidge, along with friend and Louisville Cardinal teammate Breno Giacomini, then of the Seattle Seahawks, started a not-for-profit organization called American Football without Barriers. The organization hosted its first camp in China in March 2013.[9]

Barnidge has appeared on two episodes of Total Divas, an E! Network TV show about WWE Divas going on dates with Rosa Mendes and Summer Rae.[10] He also appeared on an episode of Impact Wrestling, assisting fellow NFL player DeAngelo Williams.[11]

Speaking of over doing it thanks Kontra.:rolleyes::D

Loyko tweeted pretty soon after this RapSheet report that he doesnt really think Kikaha would help:

He has been pretty good with those things in the past..

The problem w Loyko . while he has his data well kept and wide spread . he doesn't think through before he tweets most of the time.

While I personally see no need for Kikaha . he was always productive pass rusher DESPITE his “slowwwness“ and despite spring knee issues had a couple of good games (also vs NE)..

I think Beasley will get paid in Dallas. No way they are taking away one of Daks blankets with Witten being at the end of his career and Dez slowly getting there.

They're supposedly high on Switzer and Beasley has only had 16 receptions in 7 games. They're phasing him out of the offense for whatever reason, but he still has it. I'd at least make the call. You put Beasley into this passing attack at the end of the season once he's had a chance to absorb the playbook and get on the same page as Brady, and the offensive issues we've seen are gone right in time for the run.

They're supposedly high on Switzer and Beasley has only had 16 receptions in 7 games. They're phasing him out of the offense for whatever reason, but he still has it. I'd at least make the call. You put Beasley into this passing attack at the end of the season once he's had a chance to absorb the playbook and get on the same page as Brady, and the offensive issues we've seen are gone right in time for the run.

I didnt realize that they were phasing him out just based on the condensed games I have been watching of them. Interesting..

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back