PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 NE FA market & targets

Does anyone think they give Gaffney another chance? After all, he's had the easiest two SB rings ever. Might be time to earn one.

Does anyone think they give Gaffney another chance? After all, he's had the easiest two SB rings ever. Might be time to earn one.
He won practice player of the week reward couple of times, and looked good in preseason on some occasions so there is a chance. As i posted in some thread some time ago. Pats have some backup players that we for whatever reason ppl here dont count as possible starters replacements. CB Cyrus Jones, TE Rob Housler, etc. They have baby Gronk on future contract to replace Develin incase of injury which shows us how important is fullback for pats.

At this point the only thing he costs the team is the opportunity cost which is pretty low especially before cut downs. Don't see why you don't bring him in at least as a camp body.

I do Manx.

The battle last year was close between him and Blount, and he injured his ankle last game vs Giants I believe.

They've stashed him away all this time for a reason. Either they really like him, or there patience might wear thin this off season. Or maybe he's the next Jake Bequette? Who knows, but he's a good runner and I think a better receiver out of the backfield than Blount.

They've stashed him away all this time for a reason. Either they really like him, or there patience might wear thin this off season. Or maybe he's the next Jake Bequette? Who knows, but he's a good runner and I think a better receiver out of the backfield than Blount.

I think we should give out an award named after Bequette here in the draft board. He really ticked off all the boxes in terms of numbers but was unfortunately just not a football player.

Jake the Fake never lifted at either the combine or his pro day. That should've been a huge Caution flag, but Bill did what Bill does at least once per draft: take somebody at least 2 full rounds earlier than he should've been taken.

Jake the Fake never lifted at either the combine or his pro day. That should've been a huge Caution flag, but Bill did what Bill does at least once per draft: take somebody at least 2 full rounds earlier than he should've been taken.

The bench press stood out because he had such short arms. I don't remember any of his specifics of his combine or pro day, but if you have short arms, you better be able to kill the bench.

All his other testing numbers were so strong, it was easy to see why they saw value where he was. He never looked as twitched up as his numbers, and now he lives in Patriots draft lore.

I think we should give out an award named after Bequette here in the draft board. He really ticked off all the boxes in terms of numbers but was unfortunately just not a football player.

Keep this in mind on Draft day ..
(thinking Tanoh, Bowser etc.)

Here a very nice work by Evan Lazar on 12 possible FA targets for NE:
Potential Targets For The #Patriots in 2017 Free Agency

Quotes:

Mike Gillislee, RB:
The Bills have a history of undervaluing their role players. It was just last year that they tendered Chris Hogan at the lowest level, allowing him to walk to the Patriots for no draft pick compensation (Hogan was a UDFA). If it were me, I would be more than willing to give up a fifth round pick for what is a very talented running back. In fact, according to PFF, Gillislee led all qualified running backs in yards after contact per rush in 2016 (3.4), slightly edging out Dolphins tail back Jay Ajayi. Gillislee also led qualified running backs in yards per rush (5.7)

Jared Cook, TE:
Cook also has the ability to move around the formation, something the Packers did with him a lot last season, which would give Josh McDaniels the formational flexibility that the Patriots love to have. With Bennett likely to receive a massive payday in free agency, Cook should come at a cheaper price and may give the Patriots the same Gronk insurance that they got from Bennett in 2016.

Jack Doyle, TE:
Doyle exploded onto the scene in 2016 and became an extremely reliable target for Andrew Luck, dropping just three passes on 75 targets last season. What makes Doyle an interesting target for the Patriots is his ability to block as well as catch passes, and the Colts moved Doyle around the formation, even lining him up at fullback at times where he was extremely effective as a lead blocker. Doyle also is sneaky good in the open field, breaking 11 tackles on his 101 career receptions according to PFF.

Kevin Minter, LB: Minter has prototypical size at the position and also graded out very well in coverage in 2016 according to PFF. If the Patriots were to lose Dont’a Hightower in free agency, Minter would be a nice veteran signing that could soften the blow. If the Pats are able to keep Hightower, adding Minter would put them back in the conversation of the best linebacker duos in the NFL. Minter could play a more traditional inside linebacker role allowing Hightower to move around the defense...

Zach Brown, LB: The man that racked up the second most tackles in the NFL in 2016 (149), broke out last season with the Bills as a sideline to sideline monster capable of running down just about anybody to make the tackle. Brown seems like the type of linebacker Bill Belichick would be high on with his high football IQ and lunch pail type attitude. Brown also destroyed the Patriots in both games in 2016 with a combined 28 total tackles, 2 sacks, 4 tackles for a loss, and 2 forced fumbles. There’s some history of Belichick going after free agents that have killed the Patriots in the past, and Brown would certainly fit that mold.

John Simon, edge rusher: Simon is one of the most underrated free agents set to hit the open market and is a darling of the analytics crew. Despite only playing in roughly 50% of the Texans snaps on defense in 2016, Simon showed flashes of being a very productive edge rusher when given the opportunity. Simon pressured the quarterback 18 times on just 103 pass rush snaps, a very impressive rate, and can be moved around the defense to fit whatever role the Patriots coaching staff can think up. Simon has Patriots written all over him, as he’s a potential bargain at the position, and with more snaps on defense could become a very productive player in New England. Although Simon is a different type of player, adding him to the mix would be similar to when the Patriots signed Jabaal Sheard away from the Browns a few years ago. An under the radar signing that could end up having a major impact.
___

Last but not least - unlikely proposal for one of my favourites - Garcon.
Also a tribute to Edelman in the chart. They play somewhat different positions but there are lot's of similarities - two of the safest chain-movers out there - and both underrated.

Pierre Garcon, wide receiver: File this one away as unlikely, but if the Patriots wanted to hand out some money to a wide receiver there may be no better value than Pierre Garcon. Garcon quietly is one of the better wide receivers in the NFL with the ability to beat coverages with speed and power, and can pick up yards after the catch. In fact, Garcon ended the 2016 season with the eighth highest grade among wide receivers according to PFF, and dropped just one pass on 114 targets. If that doesn’t sell you on Garcon, take a look at the company he’s in in terms of receptions over the last four seasons:

garcon.jpg

I'm totally on-board with Zach Brown (whom Bill should've signed last year instead of the predictably putrid McClellin) and Jack Doyle.

I'm totally on-board with Zach Brown (whom Bill should've signed last year instead of the predictably putrid McClellin) and Jack Doyle.

Doyle's gone unfortunately .. re-signed w Colts for a very reasonable deal

Now I'll be hitting the rack tonight with a sad face.

I agree. Not sure why bb passed on brown, but after seeing him twice this year, you have to think bb will know everything about this guys game.

I still want us to draft linebacker/de types Anderson and Willis, but having this guy in case feeney is still not healthy, might make a lot of sense.

I agree. Not sure why bb passed on brown, but after seeing him twice this year, you have to think bb will know everything about this guys game.
I'm assuming it was more about Brown wanting an opportunity that the Patriots couldn't offer him (at the time) as opposed to anything about Belichick's desires. When a free agent is taking a one year deal to increase his value, there's nothing appealing about signing up to be Jamie Collins' backup.

Is Bennie Logan a possibility? Michael Lombardi was effusing about how he was versatile on the DL and would be relatively cost effective. Also John Simon. Straight out of the Michael Vrabel school of linebackers. Just thinking about the less glamorous free agents we twnd to stay away from but the type of players that probably have the ability to occupy a good roster spot.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back