PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 NE FA market & targets

The closest measurables from this year's draft - Bolles and Dawkins.
Drafting in FA continues?

BTW - his 3-cone (7.29) would be best @Combine this year (ex aequo w Bolles) and his SS (4.43) best of all..

Red flag - concussion history (two times in protocol in 2016, missed 2 games)

Is Fusco UFA or SFA?

Both Fusco and Skuta are SFAs - so they can be signed before May 10 with no comp implications..

What do you guys think of austin pasztor? Im pretty sure that hes still a free agent and he could be some quality depth for our line.

EDIT:

Great 2015 production, very solid 2016. Some inj concerns.
Blocking TE that late-bloomed into pass catching monster (to exaggerate a bit) - read:

Browns tight end Gary Barnidge Breakout Star, Football Ambassador | The MMQB with Peter King

Barnidge: 6055/243+, 4.65/40, 31" vert, 6.92 3-cone (at 2008 Combine).

Caught 18 of 37 targets for 320 yards and 1 TD in four years with Carolina (< 1 tgt/game).

Caught 160 of 250 targets (64%) for 1938 yards and 13 TDs in four years with the Browns (about 4 tgts/game).

Turns 32 on Sept. 22nd. Even so, he still seems like decent competition for the #3 TE spot.

Barnidge caught 55 of 82 (67%) for 612 yards and 2 TDs in 2016.
Bennett caught 55/73 (73%) for 701 yards and 7 TDs for the Pats in 2016.

Don't see why he'd come here to be #3 when he can go to a competitor that has a need for TE and be #1. I would imagine the Pats want a young guy as their #3, as well.

My targets at 72 are...

Cooper Kupp future Edelman

Jourdan Lewis future Butler

Feeney/Elflein too good to pass up

Now that they're all taken...

Davon Godchaux
Jordan Morgan
Roderick Johnson
Tedric Thompson
Josh Harvey-Clemons
Cole Croston
James Conner
Channing Stribling
Javancy Jones

Don't see why he'd come here to be #3 when he can go to a competitor that has a need for TE and be #1. I would imagine the Pats want a young guy as their #3, as well.

Barnidge turns 32 in September. There's no guarantee that any team would sign him to be their #1 TE, regardless of how productive he was the past two seasons with the Browns. I doubt that there are many teams that are that desperate for a #1 at the moment. Plus, there are still a lot of very good TE prospects available in the draft.

I also doubt that there are many teams that would be willing to pay Barnidge anywhere close to the $ 4.3M he was scheduled to make with the Browns for 2017, so he's likely to see only 1-year offers at a significantly reduced pay rate.

I'm sure that the Pats would like a younger prospect for their #3. While there are still options left from this draft class, for 2017 they currently have an elite #1 who's injury-prone, and a smaller #2 who's a good blocker and adequate receiver. So, the odds of their #3 seeing potentially significant playing time in 2017 are fairly high.

At the moment, the Pats have only three JAGs vying for that role. If the Pats feel that Barnidge is more likely than a rookie to make a decent contribution in 2017, they could go that way for this season and seek younger, more long-term prospects later.

Kendricks still there and Pats only brought Langi ..

Still wouldn't mind him here. I'm not sure if we'd trade away more picks right now, however. I don't think the roster moves are finished though.

The Pats traded a 2018 4th (possible 3rd) for Rowe. The Eagles were reportedly looking for a 2017 5th for Kendricks initially.

It seems to me that the 49ers need to encourage as much competition as possible. I guess none of those guys are all that impressive, but still, they need to push the players on that roster to get better.

Panthers cut five:

Safety Tre Boston

CB Lou Young
OT Jack Rogers
OT Jordan Rigsbee
FB Devon Johnston

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes