PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 NE FA market & targets

Any thought on Marcus Martin. SF waived him.

Relevant because it will set a ceiling on the Harmon market I suppose.

I don't wanna start a big conversation in the main board about it because it's such a waste of time with many there but I really hope we can make an extension with Harmon work.

Relevant because it will set a ceiling on the Harmon market I suppose.

I don't wanna start a big conversation in the main board about it because it's such a waste of time with many there but I really hope we can make an extension with Harmon work.

I hope we keep him too. But isn't Church more of a box safety? I think Harmon may have more value to teams as a single high guy.

CeLzIwkUMAAT9jV.jpg

Last edited:
To update: NFLN says that the trade is Allen + a 2017 6th-rounder for the Pats 2017 4th-rounder.

Not sure how I feel about this. Allen signed a 4-year extension at this time last year worth $29.4M, including $16M guaranteed, according to Rotoworld:
Dwayne Allen - New England Patriots - 2017 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

He was clearly out-played by Jack Doyle last season, both in blocking & receiving.
He also had a LOT of drops. I hope this doesn't mean that they're out of the TE business during draft weekend.

P.S.: the more I think about it, the less I like this trade. Allen has become lazy with his million$, and is now even more unathletic than he was coming out of college, and that was pretty damn unathletic.

Last edited:
Is Bennie Logan a possibility? Michael Lombardi was effusing about how he was versatile on the DL and would be relatively cost effective. Also John Simon. Straight out of the Michael Vrabel school of linebackers. Just thinking about the less glamorous free agents we twnd to stay away from but the type of players that probably have the ability to occupy a good roster spot.
Comparing John Simon to Mike Vrabel is an insult to Mike Vrabel.
If he compares to anybody, it's to Ninkovich…and he's still not as physically gifted
as even Ninko is, which isn't really saying much.

Comparing John Simon to Mike Vrabel is an insult to Mike Vrabel.
If he compares to anybody, it's to Ninkovich…and he's still not as physically gifted
as even Ninko is, which isn't really saying much.

I didn't compare him to Vrabel, I said he came from Vrabel's school.

They both attended Ohio State, but that's really all they have in common.
Vrabel was a specimen; Simon, not so much.

Simon had pretty decent numbers. 4.6 at nearly 260 pounds is very solid. He's actually a much better athlete (by testing numbers) than Ninkovich. FWIW.

Height:
Weight: 257
40 Yrd Dash: 4.62
Vertical Jump: 34
Broad Jump: 10'01"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.42
3-Cone Drill: 7.10

Simon had pretty decent numbers. 4.6 at nearly 260 pounds is very solid. He's actually a much better athlete (by testing numbers) than Ninkovich. FWIW.

Height:
Weight: 257
40 Yrd Dash: 4.62
Vertical Jump: 34
Broad Jump: 10'01"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.42
3-Cone Drill: 7.10

If he is available at the right price he could be a nice depth upgrade. Seems like the vintage "underwhelming" BB signing.

Can't make sense of the Gilmore signing. Waiting for the other shoe (Butler) to drop.

The options as regards Butler seem okay to me. We either have the two of them, we get a first rounder if someone pries away Malcolm or we get Cooks. All three options are pretty tolerable. My biggest concern is that they're spending money they had allocated for HT.

The options as regards Butler seem okay to me. We either have the two of them, we get a first rounder if someone pries away Malcolm or we get Cooks. All three options are pretty tolerable. My biggest concern is that they're spending money they had allocated for HT.

I don't think this is how it works in Foxboro. If you believe what you hear from various beat reporters or people in the know then all of those things are separate from each other.

There is a plan for Hightower and if that fails (or takes too long) there is a plan B. But what they do at other positions has no effect on the Hightower plan.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back