PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Draft All-Name Team

patchick

Moderatrix
Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Inspired by a conversation on the main board, I have carefully reviewed this year's draft class and identified the players whose names best exemplify the ideals and traditions of their respective positions. Since names are destiny, look for these players to significantly outperform their draft slots. Alternative player suggestions are welcome, but wrong.

ALL-NAME TEAM: OFFENSE
Quarterback: Tom Savage
Running Back: Storm Johnson
Tight End: Crockett Gillmore
Wide Receiver: Devin Street
Offensive Tackle: Jack Mewhort
Offensive Guard: David Yankey
Center: Gus Handler

ALL-NAME TEAM: DEFENSE
Defensive Tackle: Louis Nix
Defensive End: Jackson Jeffcoat
Outside Linebacker: Prince Shembo
Inside Linebacker: Max Bullough
Safety: Dion Bailey
Cornerback: Antone Exum

Nice list....

But I have to say year had better names. Off the top of my head Barkavious Mingo, Baccari Rambo, Alec Ogletree, Ezekiel Ansah, Star Lotulelei, Bjoern Werner, Xavier Rhodes, DeAndre Hopkins, DJ Hayden, Sharrif Floyd, Kiko Alonso, Manti Te'o.....last year was just epically good and Mingo and Rambo are on my alltime favorite list.

I don't think you can beat Ha-Ha Clinton Dix or my personal favourite Mister Cobbles of Kentucky.

And Ricky Tjong-A-Tjoe is going to be a Jet (think about it).

Inspired by a conversation on the main board, I have carefully reviewed this year's draft class and identified the players whose names best exemplify the ideals and traditions of their respective positions. Since names are destiny, look for these players to significantly outperform their draft slots. Alternative player suggestions are welcome, but wrong.

ALL-NAME TEAM: OFFENSE
Quarterback: Tom Savage
Running Back: Storm Johnson
Tight End: Crockett Gillmore
Wide Receiver: Devin Street
Offensive Tackle: Jack Mewhort
Offensive Guard: David Yankey
Center: Gus Handler

ALL-NAME TEAM: DEFENSE
Defensive Tackle: Louis Nix
Defensive End: Jackson Jeffcoat
Outside Linebacker: Prince Shembo
Inside Linebacker: Max Bullough
Safety: Dion Bailey
Cornerback: Antone Exum

The bolded should be a holder in the kicking game.

My apologies for neglecting special teams. The punting field in particular is the deepest in years.

Kicker: Cody Parkey

Long Snapper: Trevor Gillette

Punter: (tie) Kirby Van Der Kamp, Baker Swedenburg, Chase Tenpenny, Ryan Erxleben, Brian Schmiedebusch, Hendrix Brakefield

My apologies for neglecting special teams. The punting field in particular is the deepest in years.

Kicker: Cody Parkey

Long Snapper: Trevor Gillette

Punter: (tie) Kirby Van Der Kamp, Baker Swedenburg, Chase Tenpenny, Ryan Erxleben, Brian Schmiedebusch, Hendrix Brakefield

One more X, Y, or Z, and he'd be an exile from a fantasy novel or a psychiatric drug factory. ;)

Edit: This is interesting on Mr. Brakefield: "2013 (r-Sr.)

Brakefield in the regular season had 31 punts for 1,220 yards with a long of 52 for the year. He had 14 punts inside the twenty-yard-line and no touchbacks. On kickoffs he is averaging 62.7 yards per kick with 11 touchbacks."

Okay now you're just making names up.

How does Clinton-Dix not make the all-name team? LOL. I find it hard to say it out loud with a straight face.

J.R. "Ego" Ferguson?

2015 will include Cincinatti RB Ralph David Abernathy IV. Surely he's the Earl of something.

There's a safety from Bowling Green called Boo-Boo Gates. He'd make an interesting defensive backfield tandem with Ha-Ha Clinton Dix.

Clarence Bumpas of Northern Colorado. Enough said.

Ross ****rell???? from Duke

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes