PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2013/2018 Patriots: The striking similarities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blount 5 carries for 6 yards
Ripley 5 carries for 17 yards
Vereen was the only rb to come though rushing and receiving.. 4 carries for 34 yards and 5 catches for 59 yards.

AFC Championship - New England Patriots at Denver Broncos - January 19th, 2014 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

The Pats abandoned the run and had to rely on Brady throwing.

Collie
Hooma
Dropson
Slater had to play some WR

Andelman and Vereen were the offense.

The way I see it is White is Vereen. Sony is better than Ripley. Burkhead and Devlin are icing on the cake. KC media thinks that the Pats will come out throwing and not care about the run. Get in a basketball game with KC. Sounds crazy to me when KC defense is terrible vs the run and the best way to slow a pass tush down is by running to set up play action.

We actually have a more complete team now, the 2013 Team was an absolute patch job,
and the 2013 Broncos defense was legendary.

The Broncos offense was legendary, too. Until they ran into an even more legendary defense in the Super Bowl ;)

Blount 5 carries for 6 yards
Ripley 5 carries for 17 yards
Vereen was the only rb to come though rushing and receiving.. 4 carries for 34 yards and 5 catches for 59 yards.

AFC Championship - New England Patriots at Denver Broncos - January 19th, 2014 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

The Pats abandoned the run and had to rely on Brady throwing.

Collie
Hooma
Dropson
Slater had to play some WR

Andelman and Vereen were the offense.

The way I see it is White is Vereen. Sony is better than Ripley. Burkhead and Devlin are icing on the cake. KC media thinks that the Pats will come out throwing and not care about the run. Get in a basketball game with KC. Sounds crazy to me when KC defense is terrible vs the run and the best way to slow a pass tush down is by running to set up play action.

Nice stats. I'd point out that White is better than Vereen on the whole and 2018 White is significantly better than 2013 Vereen.

The 2013 Denver defense was not legendary, it had lost both Von Miller and Chris Harris.

The potential for this 2018 team is far higher.

2013:

Running backs

Wide receivers

Tight ends

Lmao at that offense.

What an IR list. Wow.

Check out the 2015 IR list:

2015IR.PNG

We will have to play physical football to beat these guys on the road. In 2013 in the AFCCG, we didn’t play physical at all after talib got hurt, manning just had his way the rest of the game. Offense could not keep up.

Different or same?: Having the bold plan of using rookies Aaron Dobson and Kembrell Thompkins as your main outside WRs, or in 2018 conducting 33 transactions at WR and still not end up with much of anybody?

2018 looks better with Hogan and Dorsett I suppose.

The Pats running game was built to beat the Colts in 2013 not the league.

Different or same?: Having the bold plan of using rookies Aaron Dobson and Kembrell Thompkins as your main outside WRs, or in 2018 conducting 33 transactions at WR and still not end up with much of anybody?

2018 looks better with Hogan and Dorsett I suppose.

I am sure the bold plan in 2013 also involved releasing your TE2 because he turned out to be a murdering psycho.

The amount of WR transactions actually show that they knew they needed to address the position. Can't account for Matthews and Britt both injuring themselves after good OTAs and being unavailable throughout camp. Also that Edelman suspension is not something you can really account for ahead.

When they had their chance to get Gordon they did. I get that people are upset over Cooks but in exchange for one year (and 8 millions in cap space) we got 5 years of a mid first round pick. The value will always make the trade worth it.

Point being.. sometimes **** happens and things don't work out. But I don't think there is anyone better in the league when it comes to being self aware and improving the roster.

Unfortunately, the 2018 defense resembles the 2017 defense more than it does the 2016 defense.

The front 7 is pretty similar, yes, but I like our secondary a lot better this year.

Another difference between the 2013 and 2018 Pats is the pedigree of winning.

By 2013, there was very little carry over from the teams of the early 2000s who were tried, tested, and proven. Other than Brady and Wilfork, there was little connection from the roster standpoint.

This 2018 team is very different in that regard. There is a large core of guys who have proven they have what it takes to win the big game in 2014 and 2016, which suggests they can do it again because we’ve seen them do it multiple times.

Sometimes it’s hard to believe in something until seeing it with our own eyes. It was a little more tough to buy into the 2013 team when nearly the entirety of the roster featured guys we’d never seen win a Super Bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News