PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2013/2018 Patriots: The striking similarities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pessimistic Pete

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
This season has reminded me of 2013 all year, so I decided to see just how similar they were:

2013 Patriots: #2 Seed /12-4 (+106 point differential)
2018 Patriots: #2 Seed / 11-5 (+111 point differential)

2013 Patriots: 9-0 at home / Non-winning record (4-4) on road
2018 Patriots: 9-0 at home / Non-winning record (3-5) on road

2013 Patriots: Beat the #1 seed head-to-head (Broncos) at home by 3
2018 Patriots: Beat the #1 seed head-to-head (Chiefs) at home by 3

2013 Patriots: But finished 1 game behind, blowing late 4th quarter lead @ Miami (24-20) in December
2018 Patriots: But finished 1 game behind, blowing late 4th quarter lead @ Miami (34-33) in December

2013 Patriots: Rushing offense averages 129 yards per game
2018 Patriots: Rushing offense averages 127 yards per game

2013 Patriots: Lost major receiving target (Gronk) in December
2018 Patriots: Lost major receiving target (Gordon) in December

2013 Patriots: Brady outside top 10 in QB rating (17th) for 1st time in career
2018 Patriots: Brady outside top 10 in QB rating (12th) for 2nd time in career

2013 Patriots: Finished season on 2-game winning (+48 diff) winning streak
2018 Patriots: Finished season on 2-game winning (+47 diff) winning streak

2013 Patriots: Blowout win (43-22) in AFC Divisional Round at home
2018 Patriots: Blowout win (41-28) in AFC Divisional Round at home

2013 Patriots: Went on the road to face NFL passing TD leader Manning (55 TDs) in Denver
2018 Patriots: Went on the road to face NFL passing TD leader Mahomes (50 TDs) in Kansas City

Alas, this team still has a chance to write a different ending...

Last edited:
2013 Patriots lacked this "Think we suck? We'll see" mentality. Tom Brady is on an absolute mission right now. There is fire. I didn't feel that in 2013. It was more "meh, probably a loss"
Jesus. Where do people come up with this crap?

2018 - good health. 2013 - train wreck of injuries. That’s the crucial difference. I think the New England defense has made big strides in the last 6-7 weeks - is the underreported story of this team. Have a more than serviceable #2 CB.

Jesus. Where do people come up with this crap?
Because Tom Brady literally said that after the Chargers game If you're going to quote my post, at least quote the relevant part. I don't recall New England publicy acting this way in 2013/2015. However I shouldn't have put the last part in quoatation marks. I meant I pretty much knew they were going to likely lose in 2013/2015.

Don't worry. Calm down. In 30 years from now I will tell the new gen Pats fans the legend of AndyJohnson. With that said, want to join my chatroom? I have a few people who want to meet you.

Because Tom Brady literally said that after the Chargers game If you're going to quote my post, at least quote the relevant part. I don't recall New England publicy acting this way in 2013/2015. However I shouldn't have put the last part in quoatation marks. I meant I pretty much knew they were going to likely lose in 2013/2015.

Don't worry. Calm down. In 30 years from now I will tell the new gen Pats fans the legend of AndyJohnson. With that said, want to join my chatroom? I have a few people who want to meet you.
You imply that brady and the patriots didn’t care in 2013. That’s stupid.

He was referring to the “meh, we’re going lose” part. TB12 and the Pats did not approach that Denver game like that - the fans did.

He was referring to the “meh, we’re going lose” part. TB12 and the Pats did not approach that Denver game like that - the fans did.
Yes. I meant that and shouldn't have put it in quoatation marks. Obviously TB12 didn't think that going into the game. He should have only quoted that part though.

@AndyJohnson - So, want to join my chat? I promise you there will be a warm welcome...

2013 Patriots lacked this "Think we suck? We'll see" mentality. Tom Brady is on an absolute mission right now. There is fire. I didn't feel that in 2013. It was more "meh, probably a loss"

Warning it’s a Trollin Tweet...but its the message. Man the Chiefs reeeeeaaallly don’t know whats coming.

Also, as far as compared to ‘13 or ‘15. The fire wasn’t there from BB or TB or the team. BB is on a mission as well. Different tones and attitudes.

Yes. I meant that and shouldn't have put it in quoatation marks. Obviously TB12 didn't think that going into the game. He should have only quoted that part though.

@AndyJohnson - So, want to join my chat? I promise you there will be a warm welcome...
I dont watch cartoons.

I heard some of the same things before Denver 3 years ago - remember Denver put out some bulletin board material and the Pats pushed back. Both teams are motivated, execution is what matters now.

And in 2001 the Pats posted the exact same 11-5 record and went on to beat the Steelers on the road. The Steelers had a scrambling QB. The Pats beat the Steelers on the road and went on to win the Super Bowl against the Rams, now a possible NFC champion. It almost feels like Nostradamus called this back in 2001.

If you want to irrationally convince yourself the Pats will lose, then compare past years to this year. 2013 didn't create the 5 losses this season. The Pats were in 2013 then 9 years removed from the last title, with Hooman, Ridley, and Dobson on offense. No Hogan, no Gronk. The Broncos put up more points and yards than the Chiefs (blew out teams to the tune of a 207 point differential and no team was close to that scoring ability - this year, the Rams and Saints are close to comparable) , and it is way too early to call a QB in his first real season anything like Manning with his control of an offense.

The sun rose and set every day the Pats won every title. If you want to substantively review the actual road wins of 2013 and losses against this injury chart, then you might deduce some meaning from the results. Completely different teams. Completely different seasons. Losses under completely different circumstances. Just as possible, completely different results in the season. There is nothing ominous about numeric similarities to a team 5 years ago in an NFL in which the average lifespan of a player is 3.3 years.

Warning it’s a Trollin Tweet...but its the message. Man the Chiefs reeeeeaaallly don’t know whats coming.

Also, as far as compared to ‘13 or ‘15. The fire wasn’t there from BB or TB or the team. BB is on a mission as well. Different tones and attitudes.

Can we please stop with the stupidity that Brady, Belichick and the patriots didn’t care about going to the Sb?

Can we please stop with the stupidity that Brady, Belichick and the patriots didn’t care about going to the Sb?

Nobody said didn’t care. They just seem more confident. For whatever reason.

Nobody said didn’t care. They just seem more confident. For whatever reason.
“The fire wasnt there” “different attitudes”
That implies not caring and is revisionist history not to mention basing their motivation, attitude and confidence solely on comments to the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back