PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2012 Patriot Picks: What players, what positions do you want?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they stay 43, I want Vontaze Burfict badly. Stick his ass at the Sam and you've got a damn good 3 man rotation with good depth. That's two mean SOB's linebacker who make plays and a tackling machine at the will. He could immediately contribute on special teams at a high level as well.

He's not at all coachable. He plays out of control and undisciplined. He refused his coaches' order to come out of a game. Don't think BB would want that. He likes people who are coachable.

If they stay 43, I want Vontaze Burfict badly. Stick his ass at the Sam and you've got a damn good 3 man rotation with good depth. That's two mean SOB's linebacker who make plays and a tackling machine at the will. He could immediately contribute on special teams at a high level as well.
You wouldn't put a guy like Burfict at Sam. Keep him at Mike and let him strike fear in the other team. He plays like he wants to kill the other player. Put no way he last that long.

Ill take Brewster with the first, first rounder. Than take BPA with the other pick.

He's not at all coachable. He plays out of control and undisciplined. He refused his coaches' order to come out of a game. Don't think BB would want that. He likes people who are coachable.

Oh did he ? Can you please provide a link to support your claim sir ?

I tend to agree w. him that he is undisciplined. I do think he is coach able. He is very aggressive and therefore leaves his gap responsibility, sometimes over runs plays. If the Ravens took him, watch out. Ray Lewis will def mentor him into another Ray Type player.

Burfict is either going to end up as the next Ray Lewis or the LB version of Brandon Meriweather.

Whitney "Ming the" Mercilus - Illinois - 13.5 sacks to date. Versatile pass rusher.

Want.

Still looking for the story of him refusing to leave the game. THat's what I read though. Seems like a great coachable guy though from below.

Is Arizona State Problem Child Vontaze Burfict Ready to Mature? | LostLettermen.com

Burfict constantly had been flagged for silly personal fouls penalties and induced numerous incredulous looks from coaches for brainless plays. Erickson couldn’t take any more of it.

“This has totally to do with Arizona State and our football program and Vontaze,” Erickson told The Arizona Republic. “I want him to be the best he can be, and if he learns from this he’ll be the best he can be.

“He’s got that issue, and he’s going to overcome it and be a successful player here. At this point, if he does that he just can’t play.”

The issue, according to Erickson, is Burfict’s inability to control his emotions. Before he smacked Katz, Burfict had thrown two unnecessary punches toward Oregon State players in the same game. It was reckless behavior that couldn’t be tolerated.

Curiously, Burfict also doesn’t talk to the media much. ESPN’s College Football Nation Blog said that Burfict “doesn’t like to do interviews and that he’s shy.” But the blog revealed that the unofficial reason for the silent Burfict is that the school is protecting him from himself.

And Burfict’s work ethic has been less than stellar as well.

------------
Here's him punching a teammate:
In the aftermath of a verbal confrontation between Burfict and Arizona State wide receiver Kevin Ozier during a Wednesday Sun Devil practice, the star ASU linebacker initiated a blindside attack on Ozier from inside the team’s locker room, sucker-punching the diminutive wide receiver in the face.

http://sportsreport.gospot.info/unc...ate’s-vontaze-burfict-punched-out-a-teammate/
-------------------------------

Still looking for the story of him refusing to leave the game. THat's what I read though. Seems like a great coachable guy though from below.

Is Arizona State Problem Child Vontaze Burfict Ready to Mature? | LostLettermen.com

Burfict constantly had been flagged for silly personal fouls penalties and induced numerous incredulous looks from coaches for brainless plays. Erickson couldn’t take any more of it.

“This has totally to do with Arizona State and our football program and Vontaze,” Erickson told The Arizona Republic. “I want him to be the best he can be, and if he learns from this he’ll be the best he can be.

“He’s got that issue, and he’s going to overcome it and be a successful player here. At this point, if he does that he just can’t play.”

The issue, according to Erickson, is Burfict’s inability to control his emotions. Before he smacked Katz, Burfict had thrown two unnecessary punches toward Oregon State players in the same game. It was reckless behavior that couldn’t be tolerated.

Curiously, Burfict also doesn’t talk to the media much. ESPN’s College Football Nation Blog said that Burfict “doesn’t like to do interviews and that he’s shy.” But the blog revealed that the unofficial reason for the silent Burfict is that the school is protecting him from himself.

And Burfict’s work ethic has been less than stellar as well.

------------
Here's him punching a teammate:
In the aftermath of a verbal confrontation between Burfict and Arizona State wide receiver Kevin Ozier during a Wednesday Sun Devil practice, the star ASU linebacker initiated a blindside attack on Ozier from inside the team’s locker room, sucker-punching the diminutive wide receiver in the face.

http://sportsreport.gospot.info/unc...ate’s-vontaze-burfict-punched-out-a-teammate/
-------------------------------

Seems perfect for the Raiders/Jets/Lions.

Burfict is either going to end up as the next Ray Lewis or the LB version of Brandon Meriweather.

IMO the risk is worth the reward. Getting a Ray Lewis type of player makes it so much easier to put a good defense on the field year in year out.

IMO the risk is worth the reward. Getting a Ray Lewis type of player makes it so much easier to put a good defense on the field year in year out.

He fights teamates, won't listen to coaches, is out of control, gets stupid penalties, was functionally illiterate when he went to ASU at first...but he "might" be the next Ray Lewis? Supposedly his play is pretty mediocre too. His coach has said other players are better on defense. OK, sign me up for a first rounder on that. Regardless, sounds like exactly the opposite of a BB type of player.

He fights teamates, won't listen to coaches, is out of control, gets stupid penalties, was functionally illiterate when he went to ASU at first...but he "might" be the next Ray Lewis? Supposedly his play is pretty mediocre too. His coach has said other players are better on defense. OK, sign me up for a first rounder on that. Regardless, sounds like exactly the opposite of a BB type of player.

He's a hood kid from South Central...what'd ya expect, the kid to be on an academic scholarship? ************ man, have some context. It's clear from interviews that football is really important to him and he is learning to channel and control his aggression. We're talking about a player who has all the tools to become exactly what this defense needs and hasn't had since 2004 Rodney Harrison. He's young, he's learning life still, and he's someone with some real rage in him. He's ferocious. When was the last time you heard a Patriots defender called ferocious? We're not talking a skill set issue, we're not talking an effort issue, we're not talking a love of football issue, we're talking an aggression issue. Call me crazy, but in a collision sport I want a few 6'3 250 pound monsters with aggression issues. I've seen him play enough to know what he is, and he is a 1st round talent all day long. His best fit is the Sam in the current defense which is a position of need. He has the long speed to contribute on special teams.

You can build a team with all the choir boys you want but at the end of the day choir boys don't win championships. You gotta have some edge to you, and that team has way too many nice guys on it. This team desperately needs more angry players.

I still think we should trade for Connor Barwin.

I wonder if the rams would trade Chris Long for a 1rst round pick and something else

He's a hood kid from South Central...what'd ya expect, the kid to be on an academic scholarship?

************ man, have some context.

It's clear from interviews that football is really important to him and he is learning to channel and control his aggression.

We're talking about a player who has all the tools to become exactly what this defense needs and hasn't had since 2004 Rodney Harrison.

He's young, he's learning life still, and he's someone with some real rage in him.

He's ferocious.

When was the last time you heard a Patriots defender called ferocious?

We're not talking a skill set issue, we're not talking an effort issue, we're not talking a love of football issue, we're talking an aggression issue.

Call me crazy, but in a collision sport I want a few 6'3 250 pound monsters with aggression issues.

I've seen him play enough to know what he is, and he is a 1st round talent all day long.

His best fit is the Sam in the current defense which is a position of need.

He has the long speed to contribute on special teams.

You can build a team with all the choir boys you want but at the end of the day choir boys don't win championships.

You gotta have some edge to you, and that team has way too many nice guys on it.

This team desperately needs more angry players.

Jesus Farking CHRIST. :eek:

Brother Jay, you seem to have an elevated bit of EDGE to you, today.

Hungover??

OverCaffeinated??

Whatever it is...May I suggest that you indulge a bit more OFTEN??? :D :rocker:

I really can't add much, but I'll add this:

An integral part of my Drafting Philosophy is making Once In A Decade O Line or Defensive Front 7 Super Studs a RAGING Priority, if we're fortunate enough for their Market Value to come within shouting distance of our Picks.

And this year, there are, remarkably enough, TWO (2) such players, in my view:

1 ~ Dave DeCastro
2 ~ Vontaze Burfict

As far as THOSE two're concerned, I'm pretty much on a Whatever It Takes kick.

Seriously, though, Brother Jay. :D

You're bringing a bit of Vontaze Burfict edge YOURSELF, today...

And I LOVE it!! :rocker:

I like Lavonte David from nebraska at LB.He's always all over the field.He can play outside.Leave Mayo in the middle.

I like Lavonte David from nebraska at LB.He's always all over the field.He can play outside.Leave Mayo in the middle.

He seems like that big nickel we've heard Belichick wants to get. Prob 6'1" 220lb. Great tackler. Made a great one on one tackle to close out the PSU game on a 4th and one. Silas Redd and him met in the hole. One on one. No help from anyone and brought him down short of a first down. Redd is going to be a good back too. Only a soph. But, a heckuva play by David. Can play that WOLB against teams that don't have a power running game.

Supposedly his play is pretty mediocre too. His coach has said other players are better on defense.

I find this interesting as Burfict was the Pac-10 defensive MVP last year.

You can build a team with all the choir boys you want but at the end of the day choir boys don't win championships. You gotta have some edge to you, and that team has way too many nice guys on it. This team desperately needs more angry players.

I'd love to draft Burfict, sign Cortland Finnegan and add a safety who hits the opponent as hard as they do our corners. Finnegan, Burfict, Spikes and Chung is a pretty edgy group of players.

Whitney "Ming the" Mercilus - Illinois - 13.5 sacks to date. Versatile pass rusher.

Want.

I'm a big fan of Mercilus, and he has definitely moved himself into 1st round consideration. Todd McShay just put him into the Scouts Inc top 32 players, but I think he might have Mercilus mixed up with someone else.

They have Mercilus listed as a DT at 6-3¾ and 363lbs.

Analysis: Mercilus has a massive frame and moves well for his size. He's tough to move in the middle and could fit well as a two-gap run-stopper in a 3-4 scheme.

That doesn't sound like Whitney Mercilus to me.

Whitney Mercilus, Illinois, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Mercilus, and he has definitely moved himself into 1st round consideration. Todd McShay just put him into the Scouts Inc top 32 players, but I think he might have Mercilus mixed up with someone else.

They have Mercilus listed as a DT at 6-3¾ and 363lbs.

That doesn't sound like Whitney Mercilus to me.

Whitney Mercilus, Illinois, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Na. I've seen him couple of times. I like him. He's around 260-270lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes