PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2012 Patriot Picks: What players, what positions do you want?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The highest priority I think is a big-time FS. Maryland's Kenny Tate maybe. I'd like to take one early and a second one later.

An OC and a RG I think are also priorities. But I wouldn't spend a 1st on one. Michigan's David Molk or Wisconsin's Peter Konz are my favorite OCs so far. I also like Notre Dame's Braxston Cave. Maybe we take two of the three and move one to RG.

A very good rushing OLB would be very appreciated. So far 'Bama's Courtney Upshaw has caught my eye.

And WR I think is needed. Ocho is improving, but hasn't caught fire like we hoped. I'm much higher on Edelman than many here. But IMO he's a returner first and WR second. Branch is getting old. And Welker needs to be re-signed for a nice big, long contract. Oklahoma's Ryan Browles is a guy I really like, but he shouldn't go super high in the 1st.

We need a FS. Kenny Tate was moved to olb. Not a fit. I watched Robert Lester from Alabama and thought he was a little slow getting over to help his corner. One on the first play of the game cost them a td and a similiar play later. I'm going to watch him the rest of the year. Is he an example of a decent player living off of the great talent around him? Or, can he play at the next level. TJ McDonald from USC might be a fit. Some of you old guys might remember his dad Tim. Looks the part.

We don't need a RG. Brian Waters is playing great. He signed for two years. And, Marcus Cannon appears to have recovered from his troubles. He might be a steal. Played LT at TCU. Has the size and feet to play RG. Give him a chance. I'd like a young C too. If we can get one in the 2nd round. Same goes for WR.

Our two biggest needs are clearly olb and de. Doesn't matter if we stick with the 4-3 or go back to the 4-3. Doesn't appear to be a great year for de's in either front. I'm thinking olb and fs at this point.
Maybe Zack Brown - olb - UNC and McDonald or Lester.

Wr is pretty clearly a need. Even if Branch Welker and 85 are all great this year (and even next), they're all on the wrong side of 30, and the only other real WR on the roster is Taylor Price, a guy with what, 2 career receptions? I'd say the needs, in order, are

Center / Free Safety (these are interchangeable as both positions are vacant right now) Dan Connolly has been fine but he's really best suited as a backup G / C, and Sergio Brown might be the worst player in the NFL.

WR - Addressed above, but they need a guy after this year. Ochocinco has done nothing, Branch has been invisible at times and they're both old.

OLB - I don't think This is as big a need as it seems at times. It's not a good group, but it's not the complete vacancy that the secondary is.

CB - Not sold on McCourty or Dowling honestly. One has regressed, the other hasn't been healthy...ever

Wr is pretty clearly a need. Even if Branch Welker and 85 are all great this year (and even next), they're all on the wrong side of 30, and the only other real WR on the roster is Taylor Price, a guy with what, 2 career receptions? I'd say the needs, in order, are

I think Eddie Royal would be a perfect FA target: he's young, explosive, is a bit under the radar after an impressive rookie season, and most of all he already plays in our offensive system. He's been a tad injured, far less so than Branch over the years, and if Denver doesnt franchise him we should probably be able to get him for reasonable money.

With his experience, especially in our system, he'd be able to produce very well, probably much more than other receivers available.

I think they should get Dre Kilpatrick of Alabama. He's kind of like a quicker more athletic Ras-IR. He could play safety too...hopefully he is smart enough to learn the system.

They need a WR who is #1, smart enough to learn the system. All else apparently pales in comparison to that. It shouldn't be that hard to get a guy who is a little slower but has great hands, quickness and intelligence. Those kind seem to do well here. The bethels and tates, not so much.

An interior lineman / center type.

Another TE development project as they'll need 3 TEs.

A linebacker who is smart has a good attitude etc...to take over for mayo when he wants huge money.

The usual odds and ends, a DL as apparently haynesworth is aol. Maybe a 4-3 OLB.

I do think you are right about BB loving to stock pile second round picks. He must see great value in that round because he has secured a ton of them recently.

I wish he would abandon the third round altogether. He never seems to have much luck in that round. (Although I like Price, if healthy)

Bill hasn't had much better luck in the 2nd round, either.

Regarding our positional needs, I see FS & multiple positions along the DL at the top of my list,
including - as usual - Pass Rusher (either DE or OLB/DE). We need to have a Defense-heavy draft
along the lines of Bill's Offense-heavy drafts of 2006 & 2011.

Last edited:
Bill hasn't had much better luck in the 2nd round, either.

Regarding our positional needs, I see FS & multiple positions along the DL at the top of my list,
including - as usual - Pass Rusher (either DE or OLB/DE). We need to have a Defense-heavy draft
along the lines of Bill's Offense-heavy drafts of 2006 & 2011.
I think the draft to go heavy defense was this years. Ive given up trying to figure out who BB will take and who he passes up and why.

Last edited:
Drafting offensive players would be ******ed at this point. The defense is a disaster and needs serious help in every unit. No pass rush. Bends against the run. Allows a lot of big plays. Not as turnover-prone as last year (which bailed the Patriots out in many games, e.g. Colts and Steelers).

The most significant brain-fart was releasing both starting safeties just before the season started. Chung may be allright: kind of weak against bigger receivers and backs, but OK in zone coverage and run support when needed; but the FS position and nickelback are a trainwreak. Same with passing over the most loaded defensive line class in years and picking up two RB and a beleaguered QB that may never see the light of day. Oh, and not pursuing any pass-rusher in FA (if it was true that BB didn't like any prospects this year that were reachable for the Pats).

With that said, and hoping the Patriots have a good season, we would have two lower-1st-rounders and a low 2nd.

If I had to set priorities, getting a pass rusher would be first. That at least would give the secondary some rest. Right now, Upshaw seems to be too high for us, and there seems to be no one to seek for help in FA, unless we want Adalius Thomas 2.0 (Jarrett Johnson). So, I'd go best player available among the following:

- Dre Fitzpatrick
- Melvin Ingram
- Bruce Irvin
- Courtney Upshaw
- Mo Claiborne
- Jarred Crick
- Andre Branch
- TJ McDonald

We also have Oakland's 2nd from a draft day trade. Two firsts and two seconds again. Top 4 positions of need to me are in order; DE, FS, OLB and C. Sure, I'd like a young wr. But, it seems vets usually pick up our system better. I'd rather attack that need in free agency. We need some guys who can run and get after it on defense. That you have to find in the draft.

We also have Oakland's 2nd from a draft day trade. Two firsts and two seconds again. Top 4 positions of need to me are in order; DE, FS, OLB and C. Sure, I'd like a young wr. But, it seems vets usually pick up our system better. I'd rather attack that need in free agency. We need some guys who can run and get after it on defense. That you have to find in the draft.

I agree Re WR - not a need if we keep Welker and Branch. We have the best offence in the NFL and that will continue through 2012. I think the O line is in good shape (although we will see how they hold up in January hopefully) and we have Cannon to come in in 2012. Having said that, if a Brewster or a Kontz is around in the second round i would be tempted.

We need some defensive keystones that can only come from drafting well or hitting it big in FA.

There are plenty of good players in the 2012 class, and as it stands we will likely see at least 4 QB's go early - possibly 5 or 6. So we should see a couple of players fall to us. The LB class is very strong, and if we can come up with a starting FS and at least one starting DE/OLB we should be in good shape.

Right now i would be happy with a draft along the lines of:

1a Upshaw/Brown/Page-Moss/Jenkins type - there are plenty out there
1b Lester/Barron/R-R Armstrong - i.e. a top safety prospect
2a Hopefully someone who has slipped towards us - a Brewster?! Or perhaps another DE or LB prospect.
2b Best Player Available/Trade for a 2013 1st (ideally a probbable top 15-20 pick)
3 Trade for 2013 2nd.

The only position in worse shape than the DL, is Safety. They have one legit, NFL starting caliber DL - Wilfork.
They have drafted ONE, 1st day DL in the last 7 years - Brace.
The drain of talent at DL over the last few years is really hurting them.
No DE is going to do much unless they get a couple more talented DL in front of him.

I am NOT saying they shouldn't get a DE. But, it isn't going to much good if they don't improve the talent up front also.

Two DL, a DE, and a FS - with the first four picks. In whichever order the most talented player is available.

We need a FS. Kenny Tate was moved to olb. Not a fit. I watched Robert Lester from Alabama and thought he was a little slow getting over to help his corner. One on the first play of the game cost them a td and a similiar play later. I'm going to watch him the rest of the year. Is he an example of a decent player living off of the great talent around him? Or, can he play at the next level. TJ McDonald from USC might be a fit. Some of you old guys might remember his dad Tim. Looks the part.

That doesn't mean Tate can't be moved back. A 6'4", 220# guy who has the athleticism to play FS, the skills to also play OLB (in a very different scheme than ours), and the brains to play multiple positions? I'm interested. I'm very interested.

We don't need a RG. Brian Waters is playing great. He signed for two years. And, Marcus Cannon appears to have recovered from his troubles. He might be a steal. Played LT at TCU. Has the size and feet to play RG. Give him a chance. I'd like a young C too. If we can get one in the 2nd round. Same goes for WR.

Brain Waters has been the best FA signing this year. That being said, he's old and when he starts to go downhill it'll likely be a quick, sharp dropoff. Besides, he's a stopgap. We all wish Cannon success with his health and his career. But he's the guy that doesn't fit. I'm not saying he sucks, or doesn't. Just that he doesn't fit. He's so far away from every other OLman on the roster in skillset and style it still perplexes me why he was taken.

Last edited:
I think the one thing we can agree on is that it should be a defence heavy draft.

The only possble positions of need/want on offence would be an interior O-Lineman and a Wide Receiver. This might depend on keeping the likes of Welker and/or the health of Cannon and Waters.

We clearly need a Safety, Outside Linebacker and some help on the D-Line.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats look at Quinton Couples for the RDE position in the 1st round.

Brain Waters has been the best FA signing this year. That being said, he's old and when he starts to go downhill it'll likely be a quick, sharp dropoff. Besides, he's a stopgap. We all wish Cannon success with his health and his career. But he's the guy that doesn't fit. I'm not saying he sucks, or doesn't. Just that he doesn't fit. He's so far away from every other OLman on the roster in skillset and style it still perplexes me why he was taken.

I would say that if you believe that his skillset and style "don't fit" that maybe your understanding of Cannon's style and skillset is what is the issue. Not Cannon.

You don't seem to realize that Cannon is a mauler similar to Mankins. But, he's also MOBILE for his size. It's one of the things that made him a potential 1st round pick until the Cancer was found.

I would say that if you believe that his skillset and style "don't fit" that maybe your understanding of Cannon's style and skillset is what is the issue. Not Cannon.

You don't seem to realize that Cannon is a mauler similar to Mankins. But, he's also MOBILE for his size. It's one of the things that made him a potential 1st round pick until the Cancer was found.

He played LT on a team that liked to throw the ball with Andy Dalton. Agree. He'll make a fine guard if healthy. I remember scouting reports that described him as a dancing bear. Big guy, with good feet.

Many sites have Coples being a top 5 pick. Ya know we won't trade up that far. Next rung of de's are; Devin Taylor, Brandon Jenkins, Vinny Curry, Billy Winn and fast-charging Melvin Ingram from South Carolina but he hurt his foot. I'm meh on that group.

Do you think we go back to the 3-4 Dabruinz? We're pretty set at NG and ILB. Ninko ok at one olb. Can bring a guy like Carter/Anderson in when we go to nickel package. I like a couple of olb's. LOL. I know we won't draft them. But, Courtney Upshaw from Bama looks like a stud. Will have to trade up a little. But, don't really see anyone having him in there Top 20. Want to see more of this kid Ronnell Lewis at OU. He's a 4-3 in their scheme. Projects to olb. I also think a couple of other guys can play it. Vinny Curry can probably play either scheme. Better suited for 3-4 IMO.

I hope the Patriots take a look at Andre Branch from Clemson. He's a decent pass rusher and the guy can move for his size. Runs great in pursuit and might be even able to cover. He had a nice pass break up in one of their recent games where he ran down the field with the RB, turned his head and batted the ball away. I'm not sure when it happend. Maybe against FSU, maybe Auburn, I'll have to look it up.

PatsfaninPa.- my guess is we go back to 3-4 if we can score a really nice OLB.

If we do go back to 3-4, who do you think we drop, Ellis, who else?

At wide receiver I'd like to sign Vincent Jackson and sorry to say drop Ocho Cinco. San Diego won't spend money on Jackson and he is only 29.

Any and all thoughts please.

Obviously all of this is predicated on what happens in FA and also the defensive scheme we choose.

4-3, we'll need a good young DE and saftey in my opinion.

3-4, 3-4 DE, OLB, Saftey

on offense only position i can see as a need for us is reserve G/C. Maybe a late round WR.

My Hope (Eternal optimist i know) FA sign Mario Williams/Robert mathis (Never going to happen but this would change our defense instantly) or DeShaun Jackson (who in my opinion would be nuts in this offense but in reality we just resign Wes "the complete receiver' Welker) or Laron Landry (to pair with Chung).

1st (28) Brandon Jenkins DE/OLB

1st (32) Mike Brewster C

2nd (50) Ray Ray Armstrong SS

2nd (64) Kendall Reyes, DE/DT

3rd (96) Eddie Whitley, FS (Doubling up at saftey)

Hopefully this can shore up out O and DLine and also help our our struggling Safety position.

I think we'll find later on in the draft (if not traded out) we'll get OT, WR and CB prospects

Picking up a Safety in FA would be helpful. That might allow us to double dip in the pass rushing positions (like we did at TE in 2010 and RB in 2011) and still pick up a safety in the second round, as well as performing the obligatory trade for either one of our first rounders or pick 2b.

I do hope we do the usual trade of a 3rd rounder - i hear Oakland are short on picks between rounds 1-4 in 2012...

Why do people say Ray Armstrong is overrated? I've not been paying attention to FS's. Prob should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes