PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2008 schedule release thread [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: It's Out!!!

In the "Good News" department, we don't get any team coming off its bye week. However, we only play one home game in December, including two weeks in a row on the left coast. The early bye does suck, but the Colts have the same week off. Also, the Thursday night game vs. the Jests is a pain. Bottom line for me: having to play two consecutive games on the Coast twice transforms this from a so-so schedule to a bad schedule.

Last edited:

Missing some games, but I am not liking the early part of the schedule. Back to back west coast games is the worst scenario imaginable. And the bye comes before the trips than after. It looks like we could have back to back road games to the west coast in December too. I think the league is trying to purposely make the Pats schedule hard from a travel standpoint because the strength of schedule is so cake based on the 2007 records.

Actually back to back is better as the team has already made the trip.

I still agree that it's never an easy thing for any sports team to travel across the country. East to West ot West to East. It doesn't matter.
And the league wants to go global. It's gonna be tough.

I don't like it as much as the next guy. But what is the worst of two evils? Having those West Coast games stretched out to the FLEX where they would be played in primetime or lumping them all together with two separate back-to-backs at the beginning and end of the season, respectively? I'll take the latter, personally.

I don't like it as much as the next guy. But what is the worst of two evils? Having those West Coast games stretched out to the FLEX where they would be played in primetime or lumping them all together with two separate back-to-backs at the beginning and end of the season, respectively? I'll take the latter, personally.

i really disagree. i'm a frequent flyer across multiple time zones and those back to back games out west will be killers, assuming they don't stay out there between the games. i'll probably add a random "L" to my prediction for their 2008 record if tehy don't.

Last edited:

Here's how I see it.

@SF: Win
@SD: Loss
@SEA: Win
@OAK: Win.

Seattle could easily be interchangeable for a loss but I can't see that happening because: 1) I see our defense being better this year than last year, and 2) I can't see Seattle's running game being much better than it was last year.

That said, I think we're due for a loss in SD and coming back from a West Coast game the week before in San Fran, I think we'll be ripe for the picking.

Go to the printer-friendly version. All I have to say is SCREW THE NFL. We have TWO separate back-to-back west coast games!

actually I think its what the pats wanted. I'm sure they will remain on the west coast between games.

Re: 2008 Schedule leak thread

13-3 will be our best mark, 12-4 at the worst. All in all, our chances to be a #1 seed are still very good.

Going just by SOS alone, 16-0 is more of a possibilty this year than last year, in my mind.

actually I think its what the pats wanted. I'm sure they will remain on the west coast between games.

They might, but I'm not so sure it is necessary. The only difference between flying to San Francisco and flying to Dallas or Indy is the amount of time in the air. Great quiet time to take a nap or catch up on some film study. Sure it is annoying and throws your normal schedule out of whack a little...but how would putting up an entire team/staff on the road for a week be any less disruptive?

There are ways of making the travel situations less unpleasant. Dealing with this in two concentrated blocks instead of 4 times spread throughout the season may be easier logistically.

The real benefit to this schedule is the start. Two home games and a short roadie to the Jets followed by the bye week. Given the likely number of rooks (4 top 100 picks), youngin's still finding their niche (CJack, DThomas, Meriweather) and vet newbies (Hobson, Bryant, etc.), September will be like extended training camp.

For us San Franciscans, this is the equivalent to a 84 year Haley Comet sighting. 2 games to get to on the bus for 1/2 the price you guys pays at the razor.

The only pain in this schedule is the early bye, IMHO. I love the West Coast trips being doubled up, provided the team stays out west for the week between. And the Buffalo, NYJ, Miami thing shakes out almost like another bye week towards the end of the season, so I will take it.

Also, that Steelers game has some suckage with the second West Coast trip afterwards. But, I am happy with this bad boy. I just wish I was going to be in America to watch the games.

Looking at the division, the Jets could easily come out of the gate at 1-4, and 2-4 in the first 6 games:

Sunday, 09/07/08 01:00 PM @ Miami
Sunday, 09/14/08 04:15 PM New England
Monday, 09/22/08 08:30 PM @ San Diego
Sunday, 09/28/08 01:00 PM Arizona FOX
BYE
Sunday, 10/12/08 01:00 PM Cincinnati WCBS
Sunday, 10/19/08 04:15 PM @ Oakland

Buffalo's schedule lends itself to an 0-2 start, and a 2-4/3-3 start after 6 games :

1 Sept. 7 Seattle Seahawks 1 p.m.
2 Sept. 14 at Jacksonville Jaguars 1 p.m.
3 Sept. 21 Oakland Raiders 1 p.m.
4 Sept. 28 at St. Louis Rams 4:05 p.m.
5 Oct. 5 at Arizona Cardinals 4:15 p.m.
6 Oct. 12 Bye
7 Oct. 19 San Diego Chargers 1 p.m.

And Miami should still suck and be around 1-5:

Week 1: Jets at Dolphins
Week 2: Dolphins at Cardinals
Week 3: Dolphins at Patriots
Week 4: BYE WEEK
Week 5: Chargers at Dolphins
Week 6: Dolphins at Texans
Week 7: Ravens at Dolphins

I don't think New England will wrap this up as early as last season, even if the team goes undefeated, but I don't see any AFC East team besides New England hitting 10 wins, either.

Some notes

Not a fan of the back to back of the west coast games in sept and dec.. I dont know if they are going to stay out there, if they do, I dont know where they will practice..

Hate the bye , if its not in Nov, then it sucks.. Your just getting into the season and then the stupid bye after 3 games, would have loved the bye between san fran and san diego..

Not also a fan of the thurs nfl network game but at least its home both games..

Some things I like if anything is that long break between san diego and denver 8 days..

all in all it is what it is. Did expect Pats San Diego to be the nbc game .. I dont think the pats seattle game will be moved, its in flex ,but nbc will keep that game..

All and all it is what it is, but after seeing that schedule Im going with a 13-3 with the losses in San Diego, Seattle and Indy..

Last edited:
Not a fan of the back to back of the west coast games in sept and dec.. I dont know if they are going to stay out there, if they do, I dont know where they will practice..

I was thinking the same thing about where they would practice. For the Dec. games, I don't think it would be as big a problem since college season is pretty much over by then and they could make arrangements possibly to use a facility in WA or CA. But the first trip I'm not so sure about.

This is schedule related but not worthy of its own thread...
Sunday Night Football vs MNF...
The dogs are on Monday night...No shock there

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Last year people thought that ESPN was getting the shaft on Monday night compared to the sunday night games. Well, an analysis of the schedule supports that hypothesis. It seems that MNF has become the 'everybody gets a shot at prime time' night.

Sunday night football on NBC
15 different teams
25/32 teams (78%) were playoff teams last year
.674 winning percent last year of teams 345-167
\\

MNF on ESPN
26 different teams
14/34 (41%) were playoff teams
.562 winning percent 306-238

**17 MNF games (doubleheader the first week versus 16 Sunday night games and none of either in week 17
**The numbers for Sunday night will probably improve with the flex games that MNF doesn't have.........
Sunday night is the NEW Monday night with better games
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Go to the printer-friendly version. All I have to say is SCREW THE NFL. We have TWO separate back-to-back west coast games!

I wonder if the Pats will just STAY on the west coast and work out some where (Fresno St?)

No way they stay out west. Too disruptive for the team and organization overall to pass up 5 days at home in familiar surroundings. Chargers are going to go directly from Buffalo to London, but that's to save 6000 miles RT in week they'll already be traveling another 9000 miles to perform in a circus atmosphere all week.

Its not that disruptive if they have a facility out there that is willing to put them up for all 4 weeks of practice. Isn't Fresno St. in California??? :D

I doubt they will. Belichick will never go for it. Belichick would rather fly back and forth than take the players out of their schedule and force them to spend two weeks away from their homes. Besides, flying from Oakland to Seattle is not a short plane flight. They are 800 miles away from each other which is like a 2 hour flight. It is about the equivalent of flying from Boston to Charlotte, NC.

Flying from Seattle to Oakland is a helluva lot easier than traveling across 3 time zones and spending 5-6 hours on a plane.

If I am the players association, I would be up in arms about the 3 days between Sunday game and Thursday game.

The NFL should be giving the teams that play in that late year Thursday game a BYE the Sunday before. So that both team have plenty of time to be healthy and prepare.

This 3 days garbage is for the birds.

If I am the players association, I would be up in arms about the 3 days between Sunday game and Thursday game.

The NFL should be giving the teams that play in that late year Thursday game a BYE the Sunday before. So that both team have plenty of time to be healthy and prepare.

This 3 days garbage is for the birds.

No it's not.

The birds don't even want it.

Wow. Two back-to-back games on the west coast, that will be tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back