PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2005 Admit your mistakes thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chevy said:
I thought that the Political Discussion Forum was filled with nothing but anti-American sentiment, and that was what was filling me with so much frustration and anger ...

It wasn't ...

To anyone that I may have offended you have my apologies. I guess that dealing with Katrina (my personal loss statement was easy - 100%, plus a wiped out business - but it's coming back) finally got to me ... The PD forum just gave me something concrete to point at and blame ...

But, as things continue to improve ... Well, I've settled down a bit ...

So, again sorry for the way I acted ...

Oh .... I was fully expecting a third 14-2 season ...

It's great to have you back, Chevy!

Worst mistakes

I thought Bethel Johnson would be our deep threat number three receiver, Cedric Cobbs the Corey Dillon-in-waiting and Dan Klecko would be ... well, I don't know, just something useful.

I thought that we would replace Charley and RAC without missing a beat.

I thought that at least some of our free agent pickups would be starters.

I thought we would fix our coverage on special teams.

I thought that there was no way back for our defense after the KC game.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

Ha! Great thread... there's a few members for whom I'll eagerly await their posts!

The first one that comes to mind for me is my strong conviction that the scrambling but accurate throwing of Donovan McNabb was going to give the Pats a real challenge in the SB

Instead his strategy seemed to be to vomit on the football, ensuring our DBs would be grossed out and avoid interception

...and while I was right in arguing against those who said our WR corps would be the best in the league top to bottom (terrell, sam, davis etc...) the outstanding tandem of Branch and Givens nearly make up for everyone else

Last edited:
In the middle of the season, I thought the Pats were going to finish 9-7.

I thought Tampa Bay was going to cover the spread in last week's game.

I thought Mangini/BB were stupid for sticking with the 3/4.

I thought Wilfork was close to assuming "bust" status as a 3/4 nose.

I hoped Watson would be more of a factor in the offense.

I thought that the Pats would be ok without Seymour, if he decided to hold out indefinitely

kurtinelson said:
I thought that the Pats would be ok without Seymour, if he decided to hold out indefinitely

That's another I'll join you in... they did ok missing him for a few games in the playoffs last year, but BOY, Seymour has shown how pivitol he is around here.

1. I thought Ty Law would not play, would go on PUP or would be ineffective if he did play somewhere. Instead he is going to the Prowbowl.

2. I thought Monty Biesel would be good.

3. I thought our goose was cooked after the KC game where not only did the defense play terrible, but Brady looked bad too.

4. I thought Kevin Faulk didn't matter that much to the offense.

Luckily I was way wrong about #3, and since Faulk is back playing for our playoff run, what I thought doesn't matter a hoot.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa and Happy New Year to every one!

I thought NEM was right once, but I was wrong.

I thought Watson would be a force to be reckoned with.

I thought Wilfork would never be able to stop the run effectively,

I thought Hobbs was short for hobbit.

I thought Nem was right about drafting Ware until I saw Merriman singlehandedly destroy the Colts perfect season.

I thought:

KC would be great.
San Diego would be a bust, and we would beat them easily at home.
Denver would be OK, buit not that good.
Drew would find a way to screw up ... wait, that's coming true.
Starks would be good.
the O would be bearly unstoppable.
Terrell would resuscitate his career.
the Eagles would keep it going.
Pfifer would come back
Tedy would not come back.
We would go to a 4-man line and it would be stronger than the Steel Curtain.
Seattle would always be a fraud ... although it's still early.
Arizona might finally get on track.

I was right about a few things:

Beisel would need at least a year to learn the system and the role.
Colvin would show something.
Wilfork would improve.
Warren would be quietly good.
Indy D would be much better.
Patten would not be great in DC.
The Lions would stink no matter how many early draft picks they get.
Watson would show great promise.

Geez...where do I start.

1) I had the Titans at 11-5 this season with Steve McNair putting up MVP numbers in Norm Chow's offense and Chris Brown rushing for 1500 yards.

2) I had the Tim Rattay led 49ers winning the weak NFC West with a 9-7 record.

3) I had the Broncos going 3-13 with the worst defense in the league.

4) I had the Giants and the Redskins tying for dead last in the NFC East with a 5-11 record. I figured Eli to be a huge bust and that the Redskins would have no quarterback.

5) I thought the Patriots #1 rival in the AFC would have been the Jets.

Yea...I was wrong a lot.

what a great thread, funny reading these thoughts as it brings us back to training camp hopes and aspirations....
Wrong:
-klecko would be a good versitle player
-seymour's absence (if he held out) wouldnt kill us
-david terrell would be the big possession receiver we have always wanted (still my biggest dissapointment)
-Starks, enough said (and I am surprised not too many have mentioned him)
-beisel and brown would do something (I was never sold on them being bru and t johnson, but I thought they would at least be serviceable) I am still holding out writing beisel off till another season
-poole and starks (again) would be our starting corners with asante, gay and a little rookie I saw in training camp (hobbs) would be nice in the nickle and dime
-that hobbs would just be a special teamer this year and get occasional time in nickle and dime
-that corey would have another pro bowl season, although it looks like he may hit somewhat of a stride in the playoffs
-I am sure that there are many more that I will think about later and add/edit in here

I, of course didn't make any mistakes. :D

Seriously tho, I did think we'd play better against both Denver and KC. I also didn't think we'd destroy Tampa Bay as bad as we did.

I also thought asking this Crissy chick for advice on this Lisa chick I wanted was a good idea, but maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan it wasn't.

Oh wait you guys just meant about football right?

i thought terrell would be a solid player..

i thought the pats were INCREDIBLY deep at CB (see my polls from preseason: NO ONE could agree who our top two CB's, out of four were; we had 4 starters)

I never thought TL24 would be back; now I do

I didnt expect Rosie to come back this strong

I think VW is just coming into his own... watch next year

1.) Did not think that Klecko would make this team.
2.) Thought that Ethan Kelly would.
3.) Thought that Davey would spend the entire year on another team's roster.
4.) Thought that the Pats would lose 31-21 to the Colts. Only was close with the Patriots' score.
5.) Did not expect a Pro Bowler to magically appear on the Patriots roster in the last half of the year - Rosey Colvin is BACK!
6.) Thought that the CBA would be extended by now
7.) Overvalued the Saints' Week 1 win thinking that it show that the Saints were destined to win the Super Bowl.
8.) Thought that Atlanta was a legit SB contender.
9.) Thought that Romeo would win the most games out of the 3 rookie coaches.

Still hope that these predictions would also prove to be wrong.
1.) Brady would miss a couple of games because of an injury due to all of the hits he would take as the result of having 2 rookie OL start in front of him
2.) The winner of the Colts-Patriots regular-season game would go on to win the Super Bowl.

Last edited:
Miguel said:
7.) Overvalued the Saints' Week 1 win thinking that it show that the Saints were destined to win the Super Bowl.
This is one thing that I was definitely right about. I didn't buy into any of that and got somewhat nauseous at the whole, "the Saints winning means so much for the city" angle that was being talked about all the time. Yeah, I'm sure if I lost just about everything I owned that I would really be concerned about how a football team is doing.

i tot i taw...

Miguel said:
1.) Did not think that Klecko would make this team.
2.) Thought that Ethan Kelly would.
3.) Thought that Davey would spend the entire year on another team's roster.
4.) Thought that the Pats would lose 31-21 to the Colts. Only was close with the Patriots' score.
5.) Did not expect a Pro Bowler to magically appear on the Patriots roster in the last half of the year - Rosey Colvin is BACK!
6.) Thought that the CBA would be extended by now
8.) Thought that Atlanta was a legit SB contender.
9.) Thought that Romeo would win the most games out of the 3 rookie coaches.

Still hope that these predictions would also prove to be wrong.
1.) Brady would miss a couple of games because of an injury due to all of the hits he would take as the result of having 2 rookie OL start in front of him
2.) The winner of the Colts-Patriots regular-season game would go on to win the Super Bowl.

gonna play this straight. gotta say i had patriots 11-5, AFC East champs, 4th seed. also fell out of my neighborhood football pool in week 2, my farthest progress in 4 years. needless to say i bet NO MONEY on anything for 21 years. last time i did i picked celts over lakers game 7 nba finals. won $100 but spent much of game in cold sweats and running to throne.
i was wrong on...
1. thought cba would be a piece of cake too, given upshaws willingness to do nothing on integrity of contracts.
2. thought klecko would become a monster ILB.
3. thought beisel was quick enough to hold his own as ILB.
4. thought either randall gay or asante wwould get 8-9 INTs.
5. thought no way colts had the stones to come into the razor and beat patriots by any score. still believe the stones part (not keith & mick).
6. thought raiders would be scariest team in leage with addition of jordan and moss.
7 thought patrick pass would giive us 500 yards, 25 catches this year.

I thought the Team would have a kick-ass, dominant running game featuring numerous 2 TE sets with Graham and Watson with Dillon posting 1,500+ yds.

I thought Tedy Bruschi would not come back this year but next

I thought Ted Johnson would have another year in him

I thought Ron Borges would be found in Charlestown with 2-in-the-hat

What does BB see in Klecko? And Evans is still on the roster, right?

billikens said:
What does BB see in Klecko? And Evans is still on the roster, right?
Evans is still on the roster, right.

Oh, I've got another one. I believe that only one person on the board (Miguel, if I recall correctly) isn't guilty of this one: "BB NEVER drafts Guards in the first round". :eek:
Yes, speaking pedantically, he was a Tackle in college but you all get my drift.
Today's lesson is that BB can be counted on to do the unexpected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes