Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which WRs would you draft in the first round? (only one pick)

• Metcalf, Ole Miss

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Butler, Iowa State

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Harry, Arizona State

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Brown, Oklahoma

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Harmon, NC State

• Samuel, South Carolina

• Brown, Ole Miss

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • Whiteside, Stanford

• None of the above

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other

• Total voters
I think that we would need another TE at 64 or 73. There should be value there.

Personally, I think if you play Hakeem Butler in the slot, he’s almost like a receiving TE anyway. What is a receiving TE anyway but a big slot that creates mismatches?

Personally, I think if you play Hakeem Butler in the slot, he’s almost like a receiving TE anyway. What is a receiving TE anyway but a big slot that creates mismatches?

He did very well out of the slot last season. While he's a prototypical X, he's too fast for any LB to cover, and way too big for most safeties. It's the Gronk dilemma all over again.

He did very well out of the slot last season. While he's a prototypical X, he's too fast for any LB to cover, and way too big for most safeties. It's the Gronk dilemma all over again.

Exactly. And he can still play the X like Mike Evans too. I can see some team taking him in the first round.

I wish I felt the same about Hakeem Butler as you and reamer do, but I do not. However, I do think some of the pass-catching emphasis from the TE position could be lessened with a bigger receiver playing in the slot.

I wish I felt the same about Hakeem Butler as you and reamer do, but I do not. However, I do think some of the pass-catching emphasis from the TE position could be lessened with a bigger receiver playing in the slot.

Don’t get me wrong, I recognise the concerns. I particularly wished he’d utilise his length advantage more consistently. But, I do think mismatches help you win in the NFL and there aren’t many that offer that more than Butler. I’d still rather have AJ Brown.

Does this comp work for you?

Hakeem Butler

6-5, 220, 10.25 hands
4.48 forty, 1.39 10 split
7.09 3-cone
36 vj, 128” bj

Jon Baldwin

6-4, 228, 10” hands
4.49 forty, 1.58 split
7.07 3-cone
42 vj, 129” bj

I only ask because of the Bill Belichick/Julio Jones thing. Obviously BB got that wrong, but maybe he might see lightning striking twice. I must admit I don’t think I saw Baldwin play so he might be completely different on film to Butler but I thought I’d leave you with the comp.

Hakeem Butler

6-5, 220, 10.25 hands
7.09 3-cone
36 vj, 128” bj

Jon Baldwin

6-4, 228, 10” hands
4.49 forty, 1.58 split
7.07 3-cone
42 vj, 129” bj

I only ask because of the Bill Belichick/Julio Jones thing. Obviously BB got that wrong, but maybe he might see lightning striking twice. I must admit I don’t think I saw Baldwin play so he might be completely different on film to Butler but I thought I’d leave you with the comp.

The radio guys put butler in the boom or bust category,

I think that’s probably true. I’m torn on him. I think the boom could be terrific but he does scare me.

hmm

That's what I would expect from a patriot WR picked at 32. If we want safer, we would trade win first, or just draft TE Smith and be safe.

Hakeem Butler

6-5, 220, 10.25 hands
7.09 3-cone
36 vj, 128” bj

Jon Baldwin

6-4, 228, 10” hands
4.49 forty, 1.58 split
7.07 3-cone
42 vj, 129” bj

Butler looks quicker on film and produced better YAC. Baldwin had possibly the most dominant single game I've ever seen from a WR though (or so I thought at the time; I'm probably misremembering).

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back