PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

12 wins, book it.

You're right, sorry, but still, we won without him
Not sure where you're going with this. Are you now minimizing the most dominating TE of his time in Gronk?

Uh gee, if it was only that, wouldn't the best QB in the game plus the best WR to ever play the game mean an automatic win if all that was missing was a #1? See that's a stupid argument.
Whuh huh...? I'll try and dumb it down for you:

First of all, there's no such thing as an automatic win. Period. Only a moron believes such a thing exists. The margin of error in this League is razor thin. You want to maximize your chances of winning but nothing is "automatic".

Second of all, I think Mac Jones is a fantastic QB, but he is not the GOAT. He is going to need legit weapons in order to bring this team to the next level. Right now he does not have those weapons.

I can't believe this is (in my mind) thread-worthy, but I saw them picking the Pats to win 7 games on NFLN, and I'm seeing it become the sexy cliche that we have a big collection of 2s and 3s at the offensive skill positions, but no true #1s... and granted, I am buying reports out of camp about Mac10.

So I see this as a 12-win team. I won't go through the usual stupidity of listing 17 games and saying (in June) "this player is really good, so I don't know how the Patriots answer, that game's an L...." that sort of thing.

Instead I want to say some really self-evident things based on watching this team, and football, a few decades.

1) Complaining that there's no true no. 1 RB on this team is exceedingly idiotic. We don't do that. We just compete regularly for the most effective/efficient running back room in the league. I have no doubt this will be a deadly committee, more so than in previous years. This should scare some people.

2) The only relief teams are likely to get from the running game is getting gashed in a passing game, with a QB who was already top half of starters in his rookie year which never happens. If reports of his 2nd year jump promise prove out, he's not just this howdy-doody looking not-Tom back there, he's dangerous. Mediots: stop trying to figure out whether Tua will be good if you give him Tyreek Hill. Mac's going to be good with Tyquan Thornton (or the other 4 or 5 guys ahead of him.)

I think somebody's going to pop up as this huge surprise incredible talent between TT and Tre "I am too a steal" Nixon (See what I did? "I am not..." never mind, I'm pushing 60). But even if not this is the kind of guy who can end up with 30 TD and 4,500 yards while the mediots are raving about Tua to Tyreek in a less potent offense.

2a) If Jonnu Smith bumps up his performance, that's just a sweetener. And let's hope H Henry remains a notch under the true elite... or heck, why not take a step up and prove you belong in that league :D

D is a huge question mark to me, because I dont know how different or similar we'll look. From personnel looks, it seems like we're loading up on youth and speed (and we're once again losing an all-world corner, what else is new.) If the question is whether we can be more capable of containing a Josh Allen barring a hurricane, the answer is, well, we sure can't be less capable. I'll be interested in seeing how the D pans out. That's one of those thing where you look back at the end of the season, and whatever it was in retrospect it's the truth, as Steve Belichick said recently between bumps of meth. Okay I don't know why I said that, I am sure it's the mullet.

Just please, no losing all coherence after the bye week please? That's something I've thought about a lot: regardless of schedule, we went into the bye in the cat bird's seat. Did we come out of the bye worse than we could have been, i.e., mentally soft, maybe not in good condition? it's not like we lost the QB or anything, but it was like a tale of two seasons.

So, season prediction, 12-5. We'll rise and fall on Mac and I say we're rising.

Its off season everybody just say numbers that total to 17 with a hyphen between them.
12 wins? Not likely but also not impossible. It wouldn't shock me.
But "book it"? No freaking way.
I'm calling you out,Virginian,right here right now!
YOU book it!
Start a thread like this you need to book 10g's on Pat's winning 12 games.
That is,if you're a man of honor.
I assume you are.

Not sure where you're going with this. Are you now minimizing the most dominating TE of his time in Gronk?
No I'm saying that even with the best tight end in the league, the team still won. Because it's more about the team around the QB, but just one dominant offensive player

Whuh huh...? I'll try and dumb it down for you:

First of all, there's no such thing as an automatic win. Period. Only a moron believes such a thing exists. The margin of error in this League is razor thin. You want to maximize your chances of winning but nothing is "automatic".

Second of all, I think Mac Jones is a fantastic QB, but he is not the GOAT. He is going to need legit weapons in order to bring this team to the next level. Right now he does not have those weapons.
I'll try to use small words so it makes sense. Lots of QBs have won a superbowl without a great number one receiver. Brady just did it more than anyone else. He was a master at getting the most out of his offensive skill players.

The years he had a legit number one we lost because you could scheme those players away and Brady focused on them. Mac has the same ability to spread the ball around and make pin point accurate throws. You want Mac spreading the ball to a bunch of #2 and 3 guys rather than focusing on one. The defense can't take away that many good players

Mac just needs to show he can be clutch. Until he does, nothing else matters. It helps to have a #1 WR.

View attachment 43496
This is interesting. Veeery veeery interesting ...

Top left are mostly **** teams with bad coaching, up & down OL, little to no weapons. Idk Chicago wants Fields dead but he's throwing to ST players. I never want to hear about our "weaponz" again. As of just last year we're closer to 15-20 but there's a stark difference looking at those teams although the NYJ might have a vg trio of Moore, Wilson and Hall. If their OL holds up they could be a lot better.

Not sure I see any of this changing this year?

Bottom left ... I was killed pre/post draft for how I described and talked about Mac but was on the money all over the place with him. Almost tough being that right and hearing Bourne talk about his physique. Working on mechanics with House. How he dealt with certain pressure last year. His FBI and accuracy. Money.

That said he's almost on top of Cousins and Mills. One of his comps, that people flipped about but apparently was correct up until now. Mills, someone I thought was comparable coming out of college. Placed on a much much worse team and played well. Also very similar #'s to Tua over a 16 game sample size.

Here's hoping he improves on his downfield accuracy and is a little faster internally. I'm actually hopeful considering our cast around him (OL, targets, coaching and Def - both of the last two have traditionally been very good to plus) So it's literally all on him. He seems to have a solid grasp on things. Isn't out partying or believing his hype. Making the rounds in Boston like he's the Mayor. Working with House, on his body. Year two for a lot of players.

The only thing that bothers me is changing OC. Traditionally if you look at rookie QB with a second year change it's no bueno. So that's easily the biggest thing to look at/for. No doubt all eyes will be on that relationship. And from the sound of things Mac is taking on more on & off the field - certainly on the practice field. So again I'm very hopeful. Last year I said 27 / 13 for TD-INT, 4K, top 25 in ANY/A. I'm less concerned with the collective and want to see more improvement downfield, faster actions and clock. That said I want to see 35/15, 4k + and top 15 any/a for a real ... "Ok he's in the top tier conversation or rapidly approaching it"

Bottom left is straight killers, no surprise.

Same for top right, middle, not much of a surprise.

AFCE should be a real fun watch and might be the most interesting division after the AFCW. Who knows how it'll shape up but we haven't seen 4 QB's in a division like Mahomes, Herbert, Wilson & Carr. All legit top 5 or 12 guys. Two have rings, multiple runs at a SB. LVR offense looks like it might be special. Again that's a scary group. It's also funny how things change. KC had an abundance on targets and still does but the rest of group have quickly caught up. Denver isn't far behind if Wilson is Wilson.

I'll try to use small words so it makes sense. Lots of QBs have won a superbowl without a great number one receiver.
Yes and if the Patriots have an all-time great defense, then I’ll gladly admit that a serviceable offense could get the job done.

But they don’t even remotely have a defense that could be considered all-time great.
The years he had a legit number one we lost because you could scheme those players away and Brady focused on them. Mac has the same ability to spread the ball around and make pin point accurate throws. You want Mac spreading the ball to a bunch of #2 and 3 guys rather than focusing on one. The defense can't take away that many good players
Do you know how stupid you sound? You are literally saying they are better off without a legit #1 than with one. Like they’d be worse if they got a player like Diggs or Chase or Adams.

That is perhaps the dumbest thing I have read on this forum this year. Congratulations. Cooper Kupp almost caught 2,000 yards last year. His team must really suck with the QB focusing on him so much!!

Last edited:
You have them losing to thr Browns who they beat the pants off last year? The Raiders a loss? The rest are a toss up. I'm waiting to see how fast the defense plays before I start making prognostications

Right. If the defense is better than I think it is right now that could change.

They beat the Browns without their top 2 RBs and with Mayfield not Watson.

Raiders, Bill does not have a good track record against his former coaches and was a playoff team who is vastly improved.

The Patriots aren’t a better team then they were last year, and the AFC is stacked. 7 wins seems about right

Wrong. They are a better team than last year. But you are correct the AFC is stacked. BB only had 1 season with 7 wins and that was with Cam.

Right. If the defense is better than I think it is right now that could change.

They beat the Browns without their top 2 RBs and with Mayfield not Watson.

Raiders, Bill does not have a good track record against his former coaches and was a playoff team who is vastly improved.
If Watson plays I will be extremely surprised

Yes and if the Patriots have an all-time great defense, then I’ll gladly admit that a serviceable offense could get the job done.

But they don’t even remotely have a defense that could be considered all-time great.

Do you know how stupid you sound? You are literally saying they are better off without a legit #1 than with one. Like they’d be worse if they got a player like Diggs or Chase or Adams.

That is perhaps the dumbest thing I have read on this forum this year. Congratulations. Cooper Kupp almost caught 2,000 yards last year. His team must really suck with the QB focusing on him so much!!
Let me know when the Rams are back to back champs. You sound like one of those fantasy football morons that take stats over team.

You're literally arguing that the Pats should have said f*ck the way we sin 6 superbowls and had the best dynasty of all time. We would have been better off if we just had that #1 diva WR. It's such a stupid argument, I can't believe your remember to breathe throughout the day.

Wrong. They are a better team than last year. But you are correct the AFC is stacked. BB only had 1 season with 7 wins and that was with Cam.

1991: 6-10
1992: 7-9
1993: 7-9
1995: 5-11
2000: 5-11
2020: 7-9

SB Winners

2018: Brady, Jules (mvp), Gronk
2019: Mahomes, Hill, Kelce
2020: Brady, Evans, AB, Gronk
2021: Stafford, Kupp (mvp), OBJ

SB Runners-Up

2018: Goff, Cooks, Woods
2019: JimmyG, Deebo, Kittle
2020: Mahomes, Hill, Kelce
2021: Burrow, Higgins, Waddle

12 wins? Not likely but also not impossible. It wouldn't shock me.
But "book it"? No freaking way.
I'm calling you out,Virginian,right here right now!
YOU book it!
Start a thread like this you need to book 10g's on Pat's winning 12 games.
That is,if you're a man of honor.
I assume you are.
Of course I am a man of honor. And I don't bet pretty much on anything, retirment account excepted (and they do not yet let you just move out of a variety of low-load funds I have easy access to straight iinto vegas bets. Give them a few years though.)

But you can say "ha ha" if, as most here assume, we miss this mark.

Oh P.S., nobody go to your favorite online bookie and put money down on this. I didn't realize that was the driving force of fanhood!

Let me know when the Rams are back to back champs. You sound like one of those fantasy football morons that take stats over team.
LOL..!! Really? That’s the standard you’re trying to set? They have to win *2* Super Bowls to prove that having a #1 WR is a good thing?? Lololololllll

The 4 teams in last year’s CCGs ALL had clear cut #1 receivers who finished in the top 7 in yardage. 6 of the top 8 WRs last year help lead their teams to the divisional round.

But you go ahead and cling to the completely moronic idea that we would be worse off adding a Deebo Samuel type to this team…. With you displaying that much idiocy, there’s no point in trying to logically show you how wrong you are.
You're literally arguing that the Pats should have said f*ck the way we sin 6 superbowls and had the best dynasty of all time. We would have been better off if we just had that #1 diva WR. It's such a stupid argument, I can't believe your remember to breathe throughout the day.
Wtf planet are you living on where the Patriots didn’t have #1 receivers during the championship years?? Troy Brown caught 1,200 yards in 2001 - and this was a day where 1,200 yards put him in the top-10 in the League. Deion Branch, Julien Edelman, Rob Gronkowski are all legit #1’s receiving options and they’re all a helluva lot better than anyone catching passes in Foxboro today.

But yeah…. Keep telling us we’d have been better off without Edelman and Gronk….. It's such a stupid argument, I can't believe you remember to breathe throughout the day.

Last edited:
The Patriots aren’t a better team then they were last year, and the AFC is stacked. 7 wins seems about right
How do they not look like a better team than last year? They're going to be better at QB, much better at WR, deeper at RB, probably better at TE, and better OL if Trent Brown stays healthy. The D is at worst about the same but should be a little better.

The AFC being stacked works both ways. We have a tough schedule, but so does everyone else. We'll be back in the playoffs this year.

Of course I am a man of honor. And I don't bet pretty much on anything, retirment account excepted (and they do not yet let you just move out of a variety of low-load funds I have easy access to straight iinto vegas bets. Give them a few years though.)

But you can say "ha ha" if, as most here assume, we miss this mark.
I'll let you off the hook as it's apparent you don't grasp the meaning of "book it".
"Book it" means absolute slam-dunk bet the farm on it. It's guaranteed. You don't even believe that and you'd be foolish if you did. But it's not out of reach. A lot of players/coaches would need to step up their games big time for it to happen.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back