PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

10 Patriots who might not be around for the 2021 season

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score

Curran says it’s Gilmore, Hightower, Cannon, Hoyer, Guy, McDaniels(!), Thuney, Cam, Burkhead, Harry

For McDaniels only if a coaching opportunity comes along IMO. not sure if it will

That’s a pretty ****ty list. I’d hate to lose Guy and HT & Gilly in on damn offseason. Thuney as well? Brutal. Would be a tall order to replace that amount of leadership and straight up punch you in the mouth toughness walking out those doors.

I can see Gilmore, Cannon, Hoyer, McDaniels, Thuney, Newton. I think they keep Hightower, assuming he returns. I think Bill stretches a bit to keep Guy who deserves a raise, and especially since he plays an area of weakness overall on the team... I could see Burkhead back on a cheap deal since he is probably still injured when camp starts and could start the year on PUP. Harry, idk, I wouldn't expect that they cut their first-rounder in his third year but I wouldn't be totally shocked. Depends on who is playing QB and what that player thinks of him I guess.

Not listed is James White who is a FA - I personally think he won't be back; I think the team likes Harris, Michel and Taylor as their core and will try to pick up someone else cheap (maybe also Burkhead on PUP as said above). He's valuable, but the RB stable is strong enough and those dollars will be needed elsewhere.

I'd hate to see it, but I'd not be the least bit surprised if we've seen Edelman's last snap as a Patriot.

Feel like I saw scuttlebutt that Hightower might retire somewhere. I'd hate to see him go, one of my favorites. Wonder how the year away has felt.

Also, JMac probably isn't long for the roster, but more importantly I also wouldn't be surprised if Devin chooses to retire - poor guy's had a year from hell.

I'd hate to see it, but I'd not be the least bit surprised if we've seen Edelman's last snap as a Patriot.
If the Bucs fall short I can see him going there to help Brady make at least one more run at a title.

There is going to be a ton of turnover this year for sure.

we may only resign a few of our 20 free agents and there are several non free agents that will get cut.

Pats gonna blow it up? I don’t think they need to do that but it will be interesting to see the new look Pats next year

Very bad prognosis for the franchise if all of Gilmour, Hightower, Guy & Thuney leave this off-season. Hightower was very sorely missed, while Gilmour, Guy & Thuney were three of our very best players.

Cannon, Hoyer & Cant can go and stay gone.

Burkhead sadly might be finished as a signable player.

What team in their right mind would hire Skippy after this season?

Kneal Harry gets one more season from me.

He won't be an early cut, but whatever first rounder developmental protection he had left is gone, and he'll have to win a spot.
He needs to win the #4 WR spot

I can see all players listed being traded/released. Think McD sticks around and Edelman might be done for. I think Jules would love to play for the Niners/Chargers/Rams next year or even the Bucs.

The upside is in the $$$/picks we would gain from Hightower retiring or being released, Thuney being traded, Gilmore being traded, and etc...that is about 30M in cap money and at least two 3rd round picks.

I think a total rebuild is needed with a few vets left to show the way in DMac, Andrews (resign), and Guy (resign...won't cost a ton and is at a position of need).

I also think its the end of the line for Slater as well....

Curran says it’s Gilmore, Hightower, Cannon, Hoyer, Guy, McDaniels(!), Thuney, Cam, Burkhead, Harry

For McDaniels only if a coaching opportunity comes along IMO. not sure if it will
T Curran is not what he used to be.

I can see Gilmore, Cannon, Hoyer, McDaniels, Thuney, Newton. I think they keep Hightower, assuming he returns. I think Bill stretches a bit to keep Guy who deserves a raise, and especially since he plays an area of weakness overall on the team... I could see Burkhead back on a cheap deal since he is probably still injured when camp starts and could start the year on PUP. Harry, idk, I wouldn't expect that they cut their first-rounder in his third year but I wouldn't be totally shocked. Depends on who is playing QB and what that player thinks of him I guess.

Not listed is James White who is a FA - I personally think he won't be back; I think the team likes Harris, Michel and Taylor as their core and will try to pick up someone else cheap (maybe also Burkhead on PUP as said above). He's valuable, but the RB stable is strong enough and those dollars will be needed elsewhere.

We do not want to lose Gilmore.

Feel like I saw scuttlebutt that Hightower might retire somewhere. I'd hate to see him go, one of my favorites. Wonder how the year away has felt.

Also, JMac probably isn't long for the roster, but more importantly I also wouldn't be surprised if Devin chooses to retire - poor guy's had a year from hell.

Fully agree. Time to blow up the roster.

We will not be contenders again next year so no need to hold onto guys like Edelman, Hightower, McCourtys, etc.

Would not like to see these players go but not surprised in some respects. It will make an interesting offseason and camp if this happens, thats for sure.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back