PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

07 Patriots 7th Greatest Team of All Time-NFL 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 89 49ers are the best team ive personally seen(coincidentally that was the first year i was old enough to follow sports so I haven’t seen the 85 bears or 70s Steelers ).

Completely demolished their playoff opponents. 41-13 over minn, 30-3 over la, 55-10 over denver. They didn’t look human towards the end.

the aforementioned 91 redskins are very close.

After all, the 2007 team was a failure, no better than the 2019 Bengals. I believe that someone posted this attitude just last week.
========
Obviously, the list over-rates the 1972 dolphins. HOWEVER, the rest is a reasonable effort. Super Bowl wins are NOT, are NOT, are NOT all that counts.

It's highly debatable that 'someone' is actually a Pats fan ;)
What's not debatable is 'they' definitely aren't old enough to buy a legal drink.

Last edited:
That 2004 team would have smoked the 1972 Dolphins.

No question. Given 10 games, NE would blow them out 7, win close 2 and lose a flukey one score game the last one. And I'm probably being generous to Miami.

Frankly, there isn't a team in history that Patriots team couldn't hang with. A handful would win more than not, but the Patriots would make them earn it.

The 2015 Pats were legit if not for injuries derailing a 10-0 start. That and the abomination of the regular season game at Denver which was one of the most fixed games Ive ever seen.

No question. Given 10 games, NE would blow them out 7, win close 2 and lose a flukey one score game the last one. And I'm probably being generous to Miami.

Frankly, there isn't a team in history that Patriots team couldn't hang with. A handful would win more than not, but the Patriots would make them earn it.
Then there is the 2007 Giants.

I've been fortunate to watch some truly great teams. Part of it is the way the game changed but I have a hard time choosing between the '62 Packers and the '84 Niners, '85 Bears or '91 Skins but there's not a doubt in my mind they were all superior to the '72 Dolphins and by no small measure. Of course it's hard to judge what I never witnessed and I wasn't around to see the '29 Packers or '20 Akron Pros, maybe @Joker could give us some insight on how they compare.

It's odd that the top team on the NYFL list got there after being fined a #1 draft pick and a record amount of money (at the time) for cheating.
Especially since 2007, they've been exposed as just a sad bunch. Things worked out for them that year. Best ever? No.

The shell shock when Brady & Bill leave will be too much for some. People can't deal w a loss or 2 & still ***** at every chance.
People are going to be soooooooo pissed off at us when we keep on winning after Tom retires.

Then they'll be even more pissed when we keep on winning after Bill retires.

People are going to be soooooooo pissed off at us when we keep on winning after Tom retires.

I hope so. We definitely deserve it.

Necessary to overlook their profound dislikability, to evaluate them objectively; they were good - things worked out for them - but historically they're badly overrated.
I wouldn't say they were overrated. Their D was designed to beat the pro set, run-centric offenses of the day and they were amazing at it. The 49ers may have given them a game if they didn't crap the bed against NY the week prior. Miami definitely would have given them a game again. Dieter Brock and Tony Eason definitely couldn't. Tom Brady and Josh McDaniels would have licked their chops creating coverage mismatches against that D.

Regards,
Chris

this list must’ve been conducted by shula :rolleyes:

this list must’ve been conducted by shula :rolleyes:
It's the NFL 100 Greatest series to celebrate the 100 years of the NFL. They had the 100 Greatest plays, games, characters, and teams. It was voted by a bunch of writers, executives, and former players/coaches next week Belichick going to be featured in picking the greatest player of all time series which is going to run until the end of the season.

Of course, we'll keep on winning. The question is "at what rate".

Will we win at the rate of the decades of this this century (2001-2010, and 2011-2019)?

Will we win at the rate of the 90's, of the 80's, of the 70's, of the 60s?

There are folks that remember each of these decades well.

It’s pure arrogance to think they’ll just pick up where they left off when Brady and then eventually BB leave. That’s actually pretty insulting to their accomplishments.

The fact that the panel deemed the 1920 Akron Pros to be better than the 1970 Baltimore Colts, yet not as good as the 1945 Cleveland Rams is an utter and complete travesty.

:rolleyes:

It’s pure arrogance to think they’ll just pick up where they left off when Brady and then eventually BB leave. That’s actually pretty insulting to their accomplishments.
Opposite of diminishing or denigration:

It's a tribute to them and a continuation of their legacy.

Barring a catastrophic housecleaning, their commitment and standards will remain here with us, hopefully forever.

The Celtics continued to win after Russell retired, not at the same rate, but as much or better than anyone else.

I don't see the Pats being AS dependent on Belichick as the Celts were on Red; Krafts are a stable ownership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes