PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

“We’re going through a process”

Drama Queens above ^

EVERY team is new each year. Even when Brady was here it was a PROCESS. Don't you guys understand. EVERY YEAR. Every year there are about 20 new guys on the roster, so it takes time for these player to be absorbed into a lockerroom culture. It takes time fore that team to develop their OWN identity, good or bad.

All this talk is just nonsense. At this point of the PROCESS we know NOTHING about this team or whether the it is on schedule or not. And a media who seems to think they need a bad team to create their narratives is going to do what they are doing now.

AND remember, the media by nature LOVES and NEEDS to tear down that which they have built up. For over 20 years the media has basically had to lie down at Bill's feet. They are just DYING to tear down his image as the GOAT GM and coach. What he has done, I believe, is to create a situation that BOB can walk into next year without a hitch. But because it is new and different, fans AND the media are all over it.

Well time will tell if it works or not and THAT time will start in September, NOT now.

I’m simply saying that this will be only the 2nd time in NFL history that this has ever been attempted and we don’t know what will happen.
Not really because he has developed coordinators from scratch numerous times.
Are you implying you would know what would happen if you bring in a guy from the outside or promote a failed Qb like the Bills did? Do we need to go through all the offenses, especially ones where the HC isn’t involved in the offense like Buffalo, that suffered when their coordinator left and they just handed the reins to the underling?
I think you should be more worried about your own team.

How do people not remember that belichick has always used preseason games to get other assistants play calling experience?
It’s like this board is full of people who haven’t paid attention for 20 years and just let media speculation run them around in circles.

Totally agree.

Matt and Joe have years in the Pats systems. It's relatively easy for them to extend the system. They're already familiar with what the team demands in terms of work ethic, which is from what we read, brutal. These guys are as plug-and-play as it gets. If people haven't noticed, the extended coaching tree is all over the league these days doing their own things. It's hard to just expect people well situated elsewhere to uproot and come back to town. We should be glad we have these guys.

The offense is being changed. There's no way BB is gonna outsource that to some new hire who only knows other systems.

The media is doing their usual thing, flinging :poop: every chance they get. It's gonna take time to get it right. The team is always slow out of the gate. The usual mediots are going to have a field day whining and kvetching for months. Oh well, it is what it is.
Coaching trees are overrated. Both Bill and Tuna came from the Ray Perkins coaching tree but one of them learned as he went along and is great now. I think Bill's defense might be a variation of something he picked up from Nick Saban but I'm sure he's learned a lot over the years.

How do people not remember that belichick has always used preseason games to get other assistants play calling experience?
It’s like this board is full of people who haven’t paid attention for 20 years and just let media speculation run them around in circles.
We're in scary times. People are more opinionated but less informed.

Plus, I hear people parroting the media all the time. The power of the press is real.

What? What game did you watch? The backups looked fine.
If none of the starters played then we should have a deep team this year. Things are looking up.

Last edited:
If none of the starters played then we should have a deep team this year. Things are looking up afaic.
On offense I think the only started active was Strange.

We're in scary times. People are more opinionated but less informed.

Plus, I hear people parroting the media all the time. The power of the press is real.
Over my lifetime I’ve seen people in general go from skeptical about the commonly pushed narrative that they really aren’t equipped to judge, to arrogant and viciously argumentative that what they think is the only thing possible, based upon a narrative they arent really equipped to judge.

Coaching trees are overrated. Both Bill and Tuna came from the Ray Perkins coaching tree but one of them learned as he went along and is great now. I think Bill's defense might be a variation of something he picked up from Nick Saban but I'm sure he's learned a lot over the years.
My point is people like Patricia and Judge are already up to speed on how Bill works and how he thinks about football, and have proven they can work with him.

I agree the coaching tree concept is often overrated. It's really hard to go to a new place and replicate all the stuff that made the old place good while casting off the things that need to go. Some people have the strength to pull that off, others do not.

In the past, we had the OC set. It was not an audition between a coach with primary defensive experience and another with primary ST experience.

EVERY team is new each year. Even when Brady was here it was a PROCESS. Don't you guys understand. EVERY YEAR. Every year there are about 20 new guys on the roster, so it takes time for these player to be absorbed into a lockerroom culture. It takes time fore that team to develop their OWN identity, good or bad.
Yes, but in general it was not a "process" to use August to determine who will be calling offensive plays once the regular season begins. That is something unusual about this year.

In the past, we had the OC set. It was not an audition between a coach with primary defensive experience and another with primary ST experience.
Who said it’s an audition?

Who said it’s an audition?
Bill said it is a process. Hard not to read it as anything but an audition when Patricia got one half with one QB and Judge the other half with a different QB.

Over my lifetime I’ve seen people in general go from skeptical about the commonly pushed narrative that they really aren’t equipped to judge, to arrogant and viciously argumentative that what they think is the only thing possible, based upon a narrative they arent really equipped to judge.
I think a 10 year old would have seen that shift in their lifetime, too. It's been intense.

Bill said it is a process. Hard not to read it as anything but an audition when Patricia got one half with one QB and Judge the other half with a different QB.

That's an easy interpretation when that's already the assumption you had going in. Another way to look at it would be they had their defacto OC calling plays when the goal was to practice regular operation (Patricia calling when Hoyer and the "starters" were in the game), and they had the QB Coach calling them when the goal was to see what the rookie did with specific playcalls/situations (Judge calling when Zappe was in the game).

In the past, McDaniels was both the OC and the QB Coach, so there wouldn't be that distinction.

You can also read "We're going through a process" to mean they're experimenting with gameday operation protocol: Who is the first in the QB's ear after a series? When does Patricia work with the OL and when do they leave that to Yates? When does collaboration between Judge and Patricia happen if Mac were playing?

There are a LOT of ways to read "We're going through a process". It may be an audition, who knows, but It's not hard at all to think it's not.

It’s easy to read it as something else. Bb has always had the next in line call plays during preseason. Process can mean many things and play calling experience serves many functions other than just calling plays.

Not really because he has developed coordinators from scratch numerous times.
Are you implying you would know what would happen if you bring in a guy from the outside or promote a failed Qb like the Bills did? Do we need to go through all the offenses, especially ones where the HC isn’t involved in the offense like Buffalo, that suffered when their coordinator left and they just handed the reins to the underling?
I think you should be more worried about your own team.

Sigh.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back