PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

“The Tuck Rule started the Patriots dynasty”

Status
Not open for further replies.

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Relevant topic being Raiders week.

I know it seems silly that people who ought to know better say this and we all know Bledsoe was not long for this team regardless of the outcome of that game. But if you think about it... if the call wasn’t made the way it was.... the Pats obviously don’t get to the Super Bowl that year and BB and RC never get the chance to expose the book on the Greatest Show on Turf to the entire league.

I wonder what would have happened after that...maybe the Show would have gone on for longer...

I wasn’t posting here back then so not sure what it was like here but the ESPN Patriots boards were unreadable after that game. Lotsa salty Raider Fan :D

As far as I'm concerned, any Raider fan who whines about the "tuck" call can go pound sand.

They seem to forget the holy roller play. Stabler fumbles the ball at the 24 yd line, then running back Pete Banaszak appears to be trying to recover the ball on the 12-yard line, can't so he pitches the ball with both hands even closer to the end zone. Enter Dave Casper. He batted and kicked the ball into the end zone, where he fell on it for the game-tying touchdown as time ran out. With the ensuing extra point, the Raiders won 21–20.

the officials ruled neither Banaszak or Casper had intentionally advanced the ball (total horseshit)

The tuck call is just kharma coming back to bite the Raiders on the ass.

The Raiders had so many chances to win that game. They were up by two scores and had numerous chances to end it when we had the ball on third down, and couldn't do it. Even if they didn't like the (correctly called) rule, it's still their own fault they lost.

Also, that play didn't start the dynasty. The dynasty started when Vinatieri hit the field goal against the Rams. Dynasties are built on championships; the Tuck Rule play was just one play in an early round playoff game.

Raiders players and fans are both so salty. I live near Oakland; can't wait to see how sad everyone is Monday morning.

Nah. The Raiders had their shot at a title the following year and got killed by Tampa Bay. They win that game, there's hardly any talk of the Tuck Rule. But they didn't.

Relevant topic being Raiders week.

I know it seems silly that people who ought to know better say this and we all know Bledsoe was not long for this team regardless of the outcome of that game. But if you think about it... if the call wasn’t made the way it was.... the Pats obviously don’t get to the Super Bowl that year and BB and RC never get the chance to expose the book on the Greatest Show on Turf to the entire league.

I wonder what would have happened after that...maybe the Show would have gone on for longer...

Without the tuck rule, the Patriots don't even play the Raiders in the playoffs. The Jets beat the Patriots after this was ruled a fumble, then overturned because of the tuck rule:

Without the tuck rule, the Patriots don't even play the Raiders in the playoffs. The Jets beat the Patriots after this was ruled a fumble, then overturned because of the tuck rule:

Yeah in the documentary about it a couple months ago, I was struck by how common it was that same year and earlier. Happened to a few NFL teams. And yet everyone's head exploded when it happened in the playoffs. It would almost be like this year if we won a playoff game in part due to the bad pilon / fumble out of the end zone rule. Pay attention people!

I disagree with this idea. It’s like saying Montana got a holding call in the nfc championship game before ever winning a ring and that’s how the 49ers started. It’s convolluted. The dynasty began in three ways.

One. Belichick becomes coach.
Two. Brady drafted.
Three. Puzzle pieces fall into place.

Rules and penalties don’t create huge dynasties.

Totally forgot about that.

Totally forgot about that.

I don't believe I ever knew that!!!!

Wow...

...this changes...

tumblr_inline_nebfy733qx1s0u9u5.gif

...actually it changes nothing... but I thought it was a cool gif. :)

Such salty losers.

They had plenty of chances to close out that game and failed. On the drive right before Brady tied things up, the Raiders had a 3rd and 1 and failed to convert. They got outgained badly throughout the game and were fortunate to even be in a position to win. And even in OT, they had 3 chances to stop that drive and failed each time. They succeeded on one 3rd down, but then failed to stop the 4th and 4 conversion.

But forget all that for a second.

If Oakland took care of ****ing business at the end of the season, they could be at home for that game. They were 10-3 with a chance at the top seed, and choked away their last 3 regular season games, 2 to teams that missed the playoffs. Maybe then their #4 offense wouldn't have been held to 159 passing yards.

But no, it's easier to blame the refs for making a correct call than confessing they blew it massively at the end of the regular season, and throughout that playoff game several times over.

I agree with you. I was at the game. You could start to sense as a fan that Brady was something special. During that game I said to my friend something in regards to that game being the start Brady’s of legacy.
When the Tuck Rule gave us back life and Adam hit that field goal. For the first time as a STH and fan their was this calm that came upon the stadium. Snow flakes falling and Foxboro became a giant love in. We knew we had something special and the fear of our losing mentality that was distilled in us from many years of ugly losing now became a feeling that we can win those key games. Those calls late in key games always went against us. This call changed all of that.
So yes that play started the winning mentality we have enjoyed the past 15 years and erased the fear of finding a way to lose. We flipped from rooting for 1st downs to rooting for Championships that night

Last edited:
If we're going to credit one in season play as the starter of the dynasty, it's obvious what that play would be, it's not the tuck rule play, and Drew Bledsoe likely wishes it never happened.

Not a bad (well bad for Drew's poor lung) choice and it very well could be THE catalyst, however, the discussion itself is so far flung (not a comment directed at you DI). Many things went into the dynasty and picking one moment it started is like rolling dice. Hell it could be argued that the Dynasty started when Brady's father and mother opened a bottle one of wine and put a Engelbert Humperdinck record on the turn table one evening in 1976.
If there is to be a 'dynasty started' designation then, IMHO, it would be the entirety of the 01 Patriots vs the 00 team. 2 wins to a 10 win division winner is where it begins. And even if we lose to the Raiders in the AFCDG, if we still win the SBs in 03 and 04 I think the dynasty could be argued had started in the massive turn around from 00 to 01.

Also, IMHO and arguably, we could have made it to the playoffs with Slinger Drew as QB -- not as likely but possible (we would not have won the SB, no way). Brady's numbers (if memory serves me) definitely weren't breaking any records in 01. The big differences were Bledsoe was a passer while Brady was also a leader, Bledsoe would chuck into triple coverage, Brady the kid knew when to hold 'em and knew when to fold 'em). Again if memory serves me one other very very BFD in the 01 season was the second half of 01's D. That D became a power house and was probably playing the best football in the NFL. My memory is fuzzy on this but I only remember the Rams doing any real scoring on the D in the second half -- and even that (27 points) was far lower than the Rams' normal scoring.

Bottom line: the D + Brady not giving away points & his critical moment drives + BB&RC/CW/Other staff team preparation = a Patriot team good enough to eke out a win against anyone, anywhere. We just needed a few good bounces to string together wins and get to the big show (where the D employed the "assault and battery" tackling that made the Ram's receivers a bit, ahem, shy about some of their usually productive routes).

But if we are picking out Raider game moments, how about the AV snow globe FG that probably never got more than 15 feet high in the air?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes