PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Snow Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Brady when asked if it was a fumble: "Yeah. I was pulling the ball down"

Fumble. And the Pats caught a break on the call.

LOL. It's ok your idol won't be mad if you say he fumbled. I guess this Tom Brady guy was "bashing Brady" too. :rofl:
The rule doesn’t say go ask the player what was in his head. It said if you are pulling the ball down and it comes out before it is tucked in then it is a forward pass. Only A patriot hater or someone who is in a campaign to trash Brady would pretend to not understand that.

Tom Brady when asked if it was a fumble: "Yeah. I was pulling the ball down"

Fumble. And the Pats caught a break on the call.

LOL. It's ok your idol won't be mad if you say he fumbled. I guess this Tom Brady guy was "bashing Brady" too. :rofl:
Moth1

Brady did not know the NFL rules in his maiden season.

Watched the game at an Irish pub near Clear Lake TX (NASA HQ, 1/2-way between Galveston & Houston)...When AV was attempting the game-tying FG I had no idea if the kick was good until the zebras raised their arms, thanks in no insignificant part to those tasty Guinnesses I had been consuming for the previous 3 hours ... Made the drive home extremely pleasant...

Last edited:
Watched the game at an Irish pub near Clear Lake TX (NASA HQ, 1/2-way between Galveston & Houston)...When AV was attempting the game-tying FG I had no idea if the kick was good until the zebras raised their arms, thanks to those tasty Guinnesses I had been consuming for the previous 3 hours ... Made the drive home extremely pleasant...
We, the denizens of the south end zone, let the world know it was good... Paid for 12 inches (or less) of frozen aluminum that night, don't think we sat at all... Section 12 row 6 ... Pretty damn good seats ... mike, steve, andy, chip, jamie, victor, victor jr... pretty damn cool bunch of rabble rousers in that section ... miss those guys... Jamie has the ball from tom bradys first ever td pass ....

Last edited:
You are correct he was pulling it down. At the time the rule stated it's still considered a forward throw until you've fully tucked it way. It was a bad rule aimed at taking away the difficult decision of a ref trying to decide if 3/4 of a throwing motion is still forward throw but 4/5ths is not. While it might have been slightly easier on the ref it created a few weird moments where clearly the motions passed the line of being a forward pass but had not yet been tucked. Correct call at the time and the rule probably is better now for having been changed.

I actually think the NFL does this too much. They write rules to try and take out judgement thinking it will create more consistency. And I'm sure things might be simpler on the ref but some things just require a little judgement and we should live with it even if it means some variance ref to ref. Catch rules would be another good example where some judgement outside of the black and white is needed.

It is what it is; it was what it was. I’m good with that.

Moth1

Brady did not know the NFL rules in his maiden season.
I wonder how we’d all feel about it if it was Peyton Manning who fumbled on the play and the call was dubiously overturned and then his team went on to win a SB. :notsaying:

and i think this should be the final word on the tuck rule game... from Walt Coleman himself, in the Belacher Report interview

B/R: Does the Tuck Rule come up often in your everyday life?

Coleman: Oh yeah. My guess is, as long as Tom Brady is still playing, that particular play is going to come up for discussion. And as long as Coach [Jon] Gruden is involved and some of the Raider players who still aren't happy with what was decided, it'll probably continue to be talked about. But I got it right. Most people didn't like it because they didn't understand the rule or they didn't think the rule was correct. But from our standpoint as officials, we don't get to decide whether we like the rule or whether we think the rule is correct. Our job is just to enforce the rules as they are written and as the league expects us to, and then whatever happens after that is the league's responsibility.

Absolutely ridiculous that both of these went in in these conditions. As clutch as anyone that's ever played in this league.

I wonder how we’d all feel about it if it was Peyton Manning who fumbled on the play and the call was dubiously overturned and then his team went on to win a SB. :notsaying:
4ga89z.jpg

We, the denizens of the south end zone, let the world know it was good... Paid for 12 inches (or less) of frozen aluminum that night, don't think we sat at all... Section 12 row 6 ... Pretty damn good seats ... mike, steve, andy, chip, jamie, victor, victor jr... pretty damn cool bunch of rabble rousers in that section ... miss those guys... Jamie has the ball from tom bradys first ever td pass ....
Ha! That's how we knew both kicks were good. Couldn't tell from our seats and we were down at that end of the stadium. It was snowing THAT hard.

We'd say what we've always said. The rule has to be changed. Dubiously overturned is a lie. Correctly overturned is the truth. Now get back to giving anti Brady posters more likes and winners. They need you

boy...for a team whose motto is "just win baby !" they sure do cry a lot. maybe it should be "just whine baby!" anyway, wanted that so bad for stingley. i also beg to differ with ricky proehl because it was this night a dynasty was born....hence my username.

"The quarterback's arm was moving forward...."

I was there, what a magical night. I remember how light and fluffy the snow was in Lot A. Had a blast. The troopers weren't as quick to boot us after this game as they let us enjoy many a beverage post game in the parking lot. 2 of my buddies got PC'd that night, too....good times :)

1601085106782.gif

Last edited:
Ernie Adams knew the play was going to get overturned and let BB and Brady know on the sideline.

But if it weren't for that snow storm, Raiders would've beat down the Pats that night. BB hasn't been that great against the west coast offense and would've been a bad matchup for that D. Raiders got their revenge in 2002.

I don't think the Raiders would've beaten Pittsburgh though.

Last edited:
Ernie Adams knew the play was going to get overturned and let BB and Brady know on the sideline.

But if it weren't for that snow storm, Raiders would've beat down the Pats that night. BB hasn't been that great against the west coast offense and would've been a bad matchup for that D. Raiders got their revenge in 2002.

I don't think the Raiders would've beaten Pittsburgh though.

I think they could have. Kordell Stewart was usually good for a mistake or three.

I think they could have. Kordell Stewart was usually good for a mistake or three.
Maybe, but I don't think the Raiders undersized/slower D would've been a good matchup for the Steelers ground game. Steelers 3-4 D may not have been a good matchup for Gruden as not many teams were running that. Plus the home crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes