PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

You be the GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welker, henderson, da rick rodgers, and then re sign some guys for depth like branch, stallworth, and edelmen. Remember that this team has 3 starting te's.
I think welker, gronk, hernandez, and henderson and a rb is a good lineup and if they want 5 wr, add rodgers. I think more money being spent on defense is better than more being spent on an offense. I would rather have a top 5 offense and a good defense, rather than the best offense and a terrible defense

The bottom line is this: they need to get better at WR, not worse.

The bottom line is this: they need to get better at WR, not worse.

So are you saying our offense wasnt good enought this year, wow? The wr core would be versatile and above average-welker is the best slot wr, henderson can go deep better than lloyd, and rodgers can be an outside threat. This team's main options come at the te, gronk, hernandez, and ballard. The run game has also improved. I would rather have a better defense than spend so much more on offense

Does anyone think we should bring any of these guys in and for what price?
Delmas(instead of reed, though he is injury prone)
John Abraham
Cullen Jenkins
Manningham(if cut)
Any deep threat guy like henderson, domenik hixon, bills wr wilson

So are you saying our offense wasnt good enought this year, wow? The wr core would be versatile and above average-welker is the best slot wr, henderson can go deep better than lloyd, and rodgers can be an outside threat. This team's main options come at the te, gronk, hernandez, and ballard. The run game has also improved. I would rather have a better defense than spend so much more on offense

What you seemingly are not understanding is that Devery Henderson blows goats. If your plan is Lloyd or Henderson, you keep Lloyd without even thinking about it.

And while the offense was good enough to perform in the regular season, it still suffers from the same deficiencies that have plagued it in recent years.

I've seen a lot of interesting numbers posted for players, so I thought I'd put some of them to the question: $3 million for Woodhead and Edelman? a $7 million average for Welker on a multi-year deal, and 4 years for Talib at $6 million per? $4 million, times 2, for Reed?

Are these numbers people will

A.) think are needed for Edelman and Woodhead?

B.) think are acceptable to Welker and Talib?

C.) This is sufficient to persuade Reed to leave the Ravens?

B and C are particularly important to the exercise, IMO, since they are attempts to 'buy low'.

Also, one note of interest I heard mentioned on the radio is the idea that Arians, out in Arizona, would be looking for a big-armed kid at QB. With that in mind, I put this question out there as well:

Is it reasonable to project the Cardinals 4th (Pick 100, 100 points on trade chard) in a trade for Mallett?

A. Who said we need edelmen back? Woodhead is good against the blitz, even though this team has other backs like bolden, ridley, and shane.
B. The market is full of guys at wr and cb right now, so their market should not be that high; there are viable replacements for each player.
C.Reed, maybe, maybe not. I think its fair for him since there are a lot of other good, younger, and even better safties out there than reed and the draft has some good safeties as well

What you seemingly are not understanding is that Devery Henderson blows goats. If your plan is Lloyd or Henderson, you keep Lloyd without even thinking about it.

And while the offense was good enough to perform in the regular season, it still suffers from the safe deficiencies that have plagued it in recent years.

I know lloyd is better, but he wasnt the deep threat that we thought he could be, and others can be had for cheaper.

A. Who said we need edelmen back? Woodhead is good against the blitz, even though this team has other backs like bolden, ridley, and shane.
B. The market is full of guys at wr and cb right now, so their market should not be that high; there are viable replacements for each player.
C.Reed, maybe, maybe not. I think its fair for him since there are a lot of other good, younger, and even better safties out there than reed and the draft has some good safeties as well

Edelmen? There's more of him?

How many do we have?

And while the offense was good enough to perform in the regular season, it still suffers from the safe deficiencies that have plagued it in recent years.

Since this team suffers from being too safe, thats why I am saying we should go for a better deep threat than lloyd and try to replace lloyd in the draft

I still think going with bowe and edelmen would be better than wes and lloyd. But if the pats will re sign welker, than I think they need to add a better deep threat than lloyd and try to draft his repleacement.

I'm just trying to find reasonable numbers for players that have been mentioned, for the purpose of advancing the thread. I'm not trying to have a back and forth with anyone. If people want to overpay for a player, that's one them, moreso than people trying to underpay players, which is a way to cheat the cap in the exercise.

Is it possible that Welker will settle for $7 million per? Sure, anything's possible. Is that really a reasonable number for purposes of this thread? I'd say it's not, and that anything below averaging $8 per is probably too low, as is the $6 per for Talib and, maybe, the $4 per for Reed, but that's just my take, which is why I put the questions out there.

The only reason I put the Edelman/Woodhead questions out there was that I thought $3 million per was high for both players, and getting some agreement that they could be reasonably priced lower would allow that poster to free up a bit more money under their cap.

Then I would suggest Option 4.

Re-sign Welker, replace Lloyd with a mid-level ($6M-$8M AAV) WR, re-sign Edelman, bring in JAG WR's, draft a WR with a top draft pick.

The other plans have us weaker this year. I understand that Lloyd could/should be the mid-level receiver if issues have been worked out. I want to draft a WR, but I do not expect major rookie contributions.

That would be 'option 3.'

Now you're just making up more options than is needed. ;)

Re-sign Welker/Edelman, draft a top pick WR, and mesh the first 2 together...bring in a mid tiered WR (I used Hartline or Amendola for that 6-7 million aav example but it doesn't have to necessarily them), then bring in some vets and let them battle it out for the last spot or two

We're on the same page.

Since this team suffers from being too safe, thats why I am saying we should go for a better deep threat than lloyd and try to replace lloyd in the draft

I agree with your general thought of bringing in a lower/middle name to help stretch the field in addition to a high pick WR. I'd have to say that there may be a decent chance we'll see that on some level, although finances will obviously be a factor so it's hard to project specifics.

D.Henderson has been talked about before. I think that Deus or someone else put up a catch/target percentage that didn't look too appealing though, so that's just one of the reasons why many wouldn't want him. He has also tailed off in the past couple of yrs. I agree with you that he could potentially add to a deeper threat, but I'm not sure how he'd project into the system, and whether or not he would be productive enough to warrant the price (not that I expect him to be expensive).

I wouldn't mind bringing him or someone like that in for a look if they were going to be the WR3 or WR4, but someone like that isn't going to replace LLyod. That's one of the bigger problems for those of us on the fence about keeping him.

It's rare that many here will agree with certain players, and when that does happen it usually means that Belichick probably won't spend that kind of money.

Andre Smith is going to hit free agency as well for the Bengals. Hes a pretty solid RT so he'll add some meat to the FA pool. I wonder if the Vollmer and Smith camps are going to be waiting for the other one to set the bar ha

Do you guys think the pats should just bring moss back and be used in situational deep plays or we need someone younger? I still think bowe is the best wr for this team by far and he along with a slot wr can make this team more dangerous and respectable in the playoffs.

If heyward bey is cut, do you think the pats should look at him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back