PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Donald Jones released

Perhaps, thought he'd probably still be around if NE didn't have to pony up a quarter million dollars in a week just for him to show up.

I was completely unaware of his contract and can honestly say I would never have been as optimistic about his chances had I known about that, and the roster bonus.

I too, was unaware of those specifics.

Rapoport: WR Donald Jones released

You had this assessment pegged from the get go.

I personally had higher hopes for D.Jones myself, but once I heard that he wasn't getting many looks in mini camp/OTA's, I took that as a pretty clear sign.

When you're being showcased as getting some of the "leftover" reps at the end of practice, it often leads to bad things.

I'd say great minds think a like but you're actually the only great mind when it comes to us :)

I to had the same hopes for D. Jones, I thought he'd be a solid acquisition, and add some production as a 4th WR if used in a similar way to how they used Gaffney back in 2007. By no means was I expecting him to be a star or even a starter but seeing him not even make it to camp is disappointing.

I think it's worth noting when D. Jones was signed Hawkins was still a member of the Titans. His presence now may have changed how they viewed D. Jones value to this roster, both are Y type WR's with mediocre NFL careers to this point.

Perhaps, though he'd probably still be around if NE didn't have to pony up a quarter million dollars in a week just for him to show up.

I was completely unaware of his contract and can honestly say I would never have been as optimistic about his chances had I known about that, and the roster bonus.

Yeah I was unaware to, I thought it was widely publicized that there was no guaranteed money.

Good information it makes a lot more sense now to see him gone.

I called the Jones release yesterday and predicted they would sign Austin Collie....they will.But nobody will remember my prediction when it comes true.....it will

I have a feeling we're gonna get used to this.

I think that BB didn't do Brady any favors this offseason. Just a reminder of what the receiving corps could have been, had the team gone in the direction(s) I preferred:

Welker
Amendola
Edelman
Lloyd
Dobson
Wheaton

This statement is likely the most accurate statement in this thread.

Just like last season Johnson, Gonzalez, and Underwood were cut prior to camp. I read into that as Gaffney, Branch and Stallworth being impressive and likely roster locks. Which wasn't the case at all.

Gonzalez, at least, left IIRC to go to business school, so that doesn't really matter.

I called the Jones release yesterday and predicted they would sign Austin Collie....they will.But nobody will remember my prediction when it comes true.....it will

Not to be facetious, but at this point, isn't Austin Collie basically one concussion away from retirement?

Ashford and Sims? Wasn't that a classic 70s R & B duo? Oh wait . . . :eek:

Not to be facetious, but at this point, isn't Austin Collie basically one concussion away from retirement?

He is basically one bad hit away from being a vegetable. I don't think any team will sign him. Especially not us, look how we handled the Kyle Love situation.

We don't want to be labeled as a team that doesn't care about the future health of their players and just uses them till they belong in assisted living.

Gonzalez, at least, left IIRC to go to business school, so that doesn't really matter.

I wasn't aware of that, very cool information.

For the record I appreciate your willingness to always share your knowledge with the board. You're an asset to this place.

I think that BB didn't do Brady any favors this offseason. Just a reminder of what the receiving corps could have been, had the team gone in the direction(s) I preferred:

Welker
Amendola
Edelman
Lloyd
Dobson
Wheaton

Gimme Sanders for Lloyd and call it a day.

Welker
Amendola
Edelman
Lloyd
Dobson
Wheaton

I really think we will regret the Welker decision. I guarantee they wish they game him the extension and not Hernandez now.

Actually I bet they wished that before the murder even occurred, they probably started regretting picking Hernandez over Welker in week 2 of last season when Hernandez was injured and then even more when he was recovered and appeared to regress, along with developing alligator arms.

Dobson (X)
Welker (Z)
Amendola (Y)

Combined with Gronkowski would have been a formidable offensive group. But water under the bridge I guess, or maybe it's up the river (Hernandez anyway).

Welker
Amendola
Edelman
Lloyd
Dobson
Wheaton
Between what you would have offered Welker and what Lloyd would have cost, who are you either cutting or not signing to get back under the cap?

Gimme Sanders for Lloyd and call it a day.

If we signed Sanders which selection would the steelers have received in compensation the pick for Ryan or the pick for Harmon?

Between what you would have offered Welker and what Lloyd would have cost, who are you either cutting or not signing to get back under the cap?

I think if you didn't sign Jenkins, Jones, Hawkins along with not tendering Hoomanawanui and releasing Fells you'd of been able to do it.

Or you could of just given the 4yr/$36 mil to Welker last season and not extended Hernandez until at least this summer. I know it's hindsight but I think if it wasn't for fear that the Gronkowski deal was going to cause Hernandez to hold out or be a locker-room issue I think they'd of waited till this summer to extend Hernandez.

Welker
Amendola
Edelman
Lloyd
Dobson
Wheaton

If the Pats signed Welker, Amendola is not in Foxboro(It would not work cap wise). So saying Brady would have Welker and Amendola is nonsense.

As to Lloyd, no one has signed him yet, so he is still in play. If the rooks are bad come week 2 of TC, Llyod will be back.

Either way, saying Brady could have Amendola and Welker is fantasy land stuff. And honestly, dishonest.

All the reports from camp said that Jenkins was looking good and that Jones was behind UDFA's from this year and last. We've heard nothing good about Jones from camp.

Every year we bring in lots and lots of receivers, we cut lots and lots of receivers. And then we are surprised. The strategy may not work, but it isn't new.

We want to get fancy and list what we HAVE to have in WR's and which will fit which role. I suspect that it the other way around. We see which players have enough talent and smarts to deal with our offense, and to deal with the NFL. The best of these will be active. Perhaps a developmental player will be inactive and the rest won't be on the team.

Some players fail early, some hang on until we determine the last cuts and then Practive Squad.

The team simply agreed with what some here suspected; Jones s-u-x.

If we signed Sanders which selection would the steelers have received in compensation the pick for Ryan or the pick for Harmon?

As I recall, Harmon was our pick, Ryan was from the Vikings.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back