PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Donald Jones released

Or you could of just given the 4yr/$36 mil to Welker last season
Based on what he got this year, that would have been a terrible move

Between what you would have offered Welker and what Lloyd would have cost, who are you either cutting or not signing to get back under the cap?

There was enough room under the cap for my choices. Also, the safety would be a rookie draftee not from Rutgers (i.e. Swearinger) instead of the veteran Wilson.

Rapoport: WR Donald Jones released

If the Pats signed Welker, Amendola is not in Foxboro(It would not work cap wise either). So saying Brady would have Welker and Amendola is nonsense.

As to Lloyd, no one has signed him yet, so he is still in play. If the rooks are bad come week 2 of TC, Llyod will be back.

Either way, saying Brady could have Amendola and Welker is fantasy land. And honestly, dishonest.

Welker's cap hit is $4,105,000 and Amendola's is $3,543,750. Those combine for about $6 mil less than the combined cap hit of Welker and Lloyd in 2012.

Also the Patriots are currently sitting under the cap by around $9.6 mil.

http://patscap.com/

I'm not trying to be argumentative I just respectfully disagree that it was only possible in a fantasy land.

That is the kind of foolish thinking that the team has been doing too much of.

It is cuts like this that make me wish the Patriots were a little more patient in keeping Tiquan Underwood as a part of this franchise than the constant signing and releasing practice that they had with him.

Underwood is about to become the #3 for Tampa Bay this year and definitely the backup to VJax.

Had an okay year with tampa bay but still nothing special. Don't think he's much better than LaVelle Hawkins.

This release says something good about Dobson, Boyce, or Thompkins.

I don't really see how this is possible given that TC hasn't started yet. I think this is more about Jones than anything else.

With 20/20 hindsight, you'd give a guy $36M/4yrs when you know now that he ended up getting $23M/3 that's really $17M/2?

(And in reality $11M, $6M, and $6M, with no guaranteed money from year to year)

I get what you're saying Sciz; but its debatable when you take into consideration that not only did we lose him, but it was to the team that will likely be our biggest road block in trying to get to the Super Bowl.

If there is ever a time to over pay its to prevent a situation that weakens you and strengthens your greatest opponent.

If the Pats signed Welker, Amendola is not in Foxboro(It would not work cap wise). So saying Brady would have Welker and Amendola is nonsense.

As to Lloyd, no one has signed him yet, so he is still in play. If the rooks are bad come week 2 of TC, Llyod will be back.

Either way, saying Brady could have Amendola and Welker is fantasy land stuff. And honestly, dishonest.

They could have has both, but it would have cost elsewhere.

Lloyd won't be back. Ever. He is done in Foxboro. And we should all be thankful.

That said, I fully agree with your main point. Saying NE should have signed Wes over Aaron is hindsight to the point of folly. Other than expecting Hernandez to kill someone there was no reason to make that move. None.

Personally, I have no regrets over losing Wes and I'm the guy who proposed trading a second or third for him back in the 2006 season opener. He had too many miles on him and had developed a bad habit of losing his hands at the most inopportune moments. It was time to move on.

What? Not giving inflated contracts to older players?

If that is foolish then I'm proud to be considered a fool.

Welker's cap hit is $4,105,000 and Amendola's is $3,543,750. Those combine for about $6 mil less than the combined cap hit of Welker and Lloyd in 2012.

Also the Patriots are currently sitting under the cap by around $9.6 mil.

Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2013 Patriots Salary Cap Information Page

I'm not trying to be argumentative I just respectfully disagree that it was only possible in a fantasy land.

Fair point but...

...It is fantasy land. Yes we as fans can make it work under the cap, and say hey what is a extra 4 million towards the cap, we have x amount of money under said cap.

But look at how the Pats have dealt with the cap over the past 12 years, and ask yourself. Do you honestly believe the Pats are ever going to pay that amount of money to the same position?

Long term deals to Welker and Amendola does not work. And it is fantasyland to believe that the Pats would ever make that deal..

(I think I might be moving the goal posts on this, er' post)

First let me just say you're far from a fool, actually just the opposite, you're one of best members around here.

That said if I was to ask you in hindsight the way things played out with Hernandez and Welker ending up in Denver the best opponent of ours in the AFC would you still not of extended Welker last year? Not sure of what I'm trying to say makes sense so let me know if you need me to clarify.

Fair point but...

...It is fantasy land. Yes we as fans can make it work under the cap, and say hey what is a extra 4 million towards the cap, we have x amount of money under said cap.

But look at how the Pats have dealt with the cap over the past 12 years, and ask yourself. Do you honestly believe the Pats are ever going to pay that amount of money to the same position?

Long term deals to Welker and Amendola does not work. And it is fantasyland to believe that the Pats would ever make that deal..

(I think I might be moving the goal posts on this, er' post)

I can accept that. Maybe I'm just like all of us regretting the Hernandez extension.

Everything makes sense after the fact. The Patriots have been a team that operates now but plans for tomorrow. Unfortunately, the tomorrow aspect has been a little lacking of late, however, all it takes is one surprising draft to send things in the right direction.

First let me just say you're far from a fool, actually just the opposite, you're one of best members around here.

That said if I was to ask you in hindsight the way things played out with Hernandez and Welker ending up in Denver the best opponent of ours in the AFC would you still not of extended Welker last year? Not sure of what I'm trying to say makes sense so let me know if you need me to clarify.

If the choice is to go back and extend either Hernandez or Welker, then it's quite clearly Welker for anybody you ask. If you let me go back and spend Hernandez's money however I want, I doubt Welker would be a part of that.

With 20/20 hindsight, you'd give a guy $36M/4yrs when you know now that he ended up getting $23M/3 that's really $17M/2?

I will man up and just admit it. Honestly my 20/20 hindsight is probably a bit skewed by the fact we gave a guy $12 mil to go to play in the prison league :)

Fair point but...

Your point is valid only if you believe Welker and Amendola could not be on the field at the same time, if that is what you mean. I would have no problem spending the money at the WR position.

I can accept that. Maybe I'm just like all of us regretting the Hernandez extension.

Hindsight will do that. What happen with Ahern sucks. But unless Beli and Kraft have precogs in the basement of Gillette, it is what it is.

Still think that locking up AHern early was the right move. Just going to have to take that L and keep it moving..

Jesus, I am still shocked Ahern was that dumb. Ugh.....

With 20/20 hindsight, I'd treat my top players properly rather than trying to screw them over, yes. Then again, doing it my way would mean having Welker on the team, while being fool enough to do it the Patriots/Sciz way has meant not having Welker on the team and having to make up all kinds of lies and excuses about why that is.

I hear what you are saying, and it is hard to argue with it but I still think you are stretching hindsight beyond the useful boundaries. Had Brady been paralyzed in 2009, I'd say the same thing to anyone who said that NE blew it by not keeping Cassel. You just can't managed against a one in a million chance like that or else you live in constant fear of things like meteors landing on the practice field and deadly lightning strikes.

I'm not saying Wes wouldn't be an asset, particularly considering the WR rebuild, I'm just saying that I don't begrudge the team their decision. To the contrary, I actually expected it.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back