PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Donald Jones released

Welker is better than most young receivers. Isn't Brady the oldest guy on the team?

This kind of logic would have us starting Mallett/Amendola over Brady/Welker. We need the best players, not the youngest and fastest.

Are we still droning on about Welker?

We got younger, which was a huge need. Some will think Welker over evaluated himself, some think he was short changed however, if you do, I think you're trying to kid yourself a little too much. If Welker was originally prepared to take what he took from the Broncos, Amendola may well have been an afterthought or even better, we could of sneaked both.

Sad fact is that, by the time Welker realised that other teams valued him at the same, the Patriots had moved on.

What we now have is a younger, faster WR in Amendola who has more production at this stage in his career than Welker ever had and who is going to be playing with one of the best ever QBs to play the game.

I'm optimistic we won't lose much...if any..production at WR. We actually look a lot more versatile at WR than we ave in a long time. You just have to trust our young guys can do it.

I'm glad this topic morphed from Jones into a would, coulda, shoulda discussion about W3 because that topic hasn't been addressed here.

I await the predictable Mr Peabody & The Wayback Machine thread forks after every drop and injury this season.

I thought Jones was a lower risk, decent reward type of player added. Obviously the decent reward will not be reached.

I still think people are sleeping on Jenkins. The guy has been pretty good for most of his career as a #2/#3 type of WR. People are trashing him because he couldn't perform with Christian Ponder throwing him the ball, but who could? He hasn't had a good QB throwing him the ball since 2010 when Matt Ryan was his QB. I don't think he will be a stud or anything, but he could be a very solid #3 WR. Certainly could be an upgrade to Branch who was clearly done last year.

Although it looks like the #1 WR is downgraded from last year (unless Amendola makes a similar leap as Welker when he joined the Pats), but from #2 WR on down the depth chart could be the best this team has ever had. Too soon to tell at this point. Dobson had a pretty good minicamp before he sat out (a few rookie drops which will go away with getting in rhythm with Brady, but mostly positive). Jenkins and Amendola looked to be in rhythm with Brady already. Edelman should be back.

I am cautiously optimistic about this receiving corp. I don't think it will be a top corp in the league, but far better than a lot of people think.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back