PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why is Bill O'Brien getting a pass?

ahmed

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
When he got hired, the board acted like he was the Messiah come to save us. It was weird actually.

Our offense is objectively worse. Why is he not getting any criticism? The guy has always been average which was why I did not want him.

Then I see this garbage take. He must be a source to Phil (who I like)! Don't care how modern our offense looks; it is crap!

The bulk of the criticism is going to where it should. Bill the GM for putting together this offense and the players themselves.

98.5 plays a clip from an interview w Dimitroff from either the draft or SB in which Dimitroff is very dismissive of OBrien as savior...methinks he knew something others didn't

The game might be passing BOB by too. :rolleyes:

When he got hired, the board acted like he was the Messiah come to save us. It was weird actually.

Our offense is objectively worse. Why is he not getting any criticism? The guy has always been average which was why I did not want him.

Then I see this garbage take. He must be a source to Phil (who I like)! Don't care how modern our offense looks; it is crap!

What do you specifically consider "garbage" about Perry's analysis? It's pretty straightforward. Personnel has been subpar from the start, eroded further by injuries.

Quoting:
"The Patriots rank near the bottom of the NFL in a number of statistical categories. They rank 31st in points scored. They're 30th in EPA per play. They're 24th in success rate. But O'Brien is running a modern offense.

"He's trying to get what he can out of an undermanned group. And given what he's shown -- despite what the numbers would suggest -- he should remain in his position for 2024, no matter who the quarterback and head coach are.

"A closer look at his choices as a play-caller would suggest he's advanced the Patriots offense to adjust to the modern game, and the results should improve when the personnel does."

OCs and Head Coaches all look better with a top 5 QB. Same for all coaches.

BOB or Josh McD.? I don't think it matters. Mac does not read the D well post-snap - that is what matters.

There have been countless instances where the play was there and for whatever reason, the players didnt execute. If we want to throw him under the bus for the lack of continued development for Mac, be my guest. As far as actual playcalling goes, there’s a reason why you see so many articles/videos of guys giving him a pass. The playcalling has been improved over the previous year. Unfortunately, the players haven’t.

Was never a fan of the BOB hiring. He succeeded once in his life when he had Brady, Gronk, Hernandez, Welker, a stacked offensive line, and a full talented RB corp. In Houston he was never able to develop a QB and it was the Achilles heel of his team there.

It's not entirely his fault because generally the team is super untalented on offense and there's not mcuh to work with. But he was always such an uninspired pick as OC and was used as a shield to deflect critcism from the roster building because people wanted to believe he would just level everyone up. It was a silly notion then and is now. He wasn't the guy to come in and help develop a young QB and he wasn't the guy who could win with a roster than didn't have talent and needed creativity.

Remember when after the announcement of Obbie, posters were saying he was good for 3 more wins. Lol

What do you specifically consider "garbage" about Perry's analysis? It's pretty straightforward. Personnel has been subpar from the start, eroded further by injuries.

Quoting:
"The Patriots rank near the bottom of the NFL in a number of statistical categories. They rank 31st in points scored. They're 30th in EPA per play. They're 24th in success rate. But O'Brien is running a modern offense.

"He's trying to get what he can out of an undermanned group. And given what he's shown -- despite what the numbers would suggest -- he should remain in his position for 2024, no matter who the quarterback and head coach are.

"A closer look at his choices as a play-caller would suggest he's advanced the Patriots offense to adjust to the modern game, and the results should improve when the personnel does."
Lots of excuses. Results matter and they are worse than last year. Rest is noise.

Lots of excuses. Results matter and they are worse than last year. Rest is noise.

Of course results matter. But dismissing reasonable analysis as "excuses" and "noise" simplistically disregards the facts behind what's happening. They very well could be worse than last year with a better system/coaching than last year because of personnel issues. Look at what has occurred with the musical chairs OL and problems at WR.

When people talk about coaches and schemes, it’s their ultimate mental masturbation, like they understand the game on such a deep level. Fact is none of these coordinators move the needle much.

Remember when after the announcement of Obbie, posters were saying he was good for 3 more wins. Lol
Boy did we misjudge the Rocket Scientist. :(

Reactions: ALP
When people talk about coaches and schemes, it’s their ultimate mental masturbation, like they understand the game on such a deep level. Fact is none of these coordinators move the needle much.
You must be talking about Andy.

BOB lost me when he let D-Hop leave the Building. I knew it would blow up in their face I hope he goes back to the College Game.

When I was in the Navy, I was friends with one of the cooks. The Navy has famously bad food. After a night of drinking, he made breakfast for the group of people sleeping at my apartment. It was great! I asked him, "How come you can't make this food this good on the boat?" and he said, "Let's say I was a painter and someone asked me to recreated the Mona Lisa but said I could only use finger paints. No matter how good of a painter I was, it wouldn't come out great, right?".

Can't agrue with that and I that's the situation for BoB this year. (Yes, Mac is one color of the "finger paints" that he has to work with to try to paint the Mona Lisa).

I need a video of Mac Jones first flea flicker play to make a point about his decision making and arm strength. This was probably in his first 4 games or so. He threw some wobble to Janu Smith and it probably did not even get a first down. The play was there to be made as well. Will appreciate it if some can find it for me.

There’s no talent on offense. Pats need a stud QB, followed by talent surrounding him.

Do you remember who was the offensive coordinator for the 1998 Vikings was? Brian Billick. As soon as he got the Ravens job, he looked like forgot how to how run an offense.

Nobody knew who Tom Moore was before Peyton Manning’s 1999 breakout season. Ditto with Mike McCoy and Adam Gase in Denver.

How about Mike Martz with the Rams? He couldn’t duplicate the offense with other teams.

Throw in McDaniels and O’Brien in NE. O’Brien was mediocre and McDaniels was awful with the Broncos, Rams and Raiders.

Moral of the story. This team needs talent. Badly.

Last edited:

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back