PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why is Bill O'Brien getting a pass?

Why did posters here constantly bashed Patricia and bob gets a pass when both have the same results with the same personnel?

Let me explain this
People did not want to blame bb last year due to the bb worshipper group and just had to find a sündenbock

This year mac has not developed at all under bob
His mechanics etc are still awful
Why not blame bob as we blamed Patricia ?

Patricia did neither and his offense wasn’t worse as a defense minded coach , coaching an offense for the first time
So why not blame bob?
He’s not free of blame but he shouldn’t be at the top of the pecking order of who’s to blame.

The players need to execute. There’s been a regression in the OL play. The Meyers/Juju swap has hurt us. We’re getting inconsistent play out of our QB. Until recent Rham hasn’t looked like the same player as last year. As bad as we’ve looked can you imagine how we wouldve looked if BoB kept Bourne in the doghouse like some other coordinator?

Was never a fan of the BOB hiring. He succeeded once in his life when he had Brady, Gronk, Hernandez, Welker, a stacked offensive line, and a full talented RB corp. In Houston he was never able to develop a QB and it was the Achilles heel of his team there.

It's not entirely his fault because generally the team is super untalented on offense and there's not mcuh to work with. But he was always such an uninspired pick as OC and was used as a shield to deflect critcism from the roster building because people wanted to believe he would just level everyone up. It was a silly notion then and is now. He wasn't the guy to come in and help develop a young QB and he wasn't the guy who could win with a roster than didn't have talent and needed creativity.
He could have been hired to help Jones. He needs it.

I remember taking sone heat because I didn't consider Bob to be anything special. I still don't.

He’s not free of blame but he shouldn’t be at the top of the pecking order of who’s to blame.

The players need to execute. There’s been a regression in the OL play. The Meyers/Juju swap has hurt us. We’re getting inconsistent play out of our QB. Until recent Rham hasn’t looked like the same player as last year. As bad as we’ve looked can you imagine how we wouldve looked if BoB kept Bourne in the doghouse like some other coordinator?
I am for using all the early picks on the Offensive side of the ball like they did on Defense last Draft.

Last edited:
I need a video of Mac Jones first flea flicker play to make a point about his decision making and arm strength. This was probably in his first 4 games or so. He threw some wobble to Janu Smith and it probably did not even get a first down. The play was there to be made as well. Will appreciate it if some can find it for me.
Lollipop lollipop oh oh lollipop. :)

We really don't know who makes those kind of decisions. It could have been anyone from Kraft on down.

Here's how I think it works. The most important assets are the players. Without those Vince Lombardi couldn't win. That leaves the man picking the players as the key. We know that the job is Bill's but not that he's definitely making the picks.

Btw, not being able to single out who's responsible for decisions seems like part of the wall-of-secrecy plan that exists within the Pats. How can we criticize Bill for picks if he may not be making them? Or criticize Steve B when Mayo may have made the decision, or the other way around? We can't.

Now, keeping in mind that the players are still the main assets and the next group in order of importance, after Owner/GM would be the coaches. This is where the real problems occur with Pats fans. I don't think it's anywhere near as important as some others here do. It's still about the players. Always was and always will be. And the Pats don't have many of those and no QB.

And that brings us back to the beginning. The man responsible for picking the players is the main culprit.

We really don't know who makes those kind of decisions. It could have been anyone from Kraft on down.

Here's how I think it works. The most important assets are the players. Without those Vince Lombardi couldn't win. That leaves the man picking the players as the key. We know that the job is Bill's but not that he's definitely making the picks.

Btw, not being able to single out who's responsible for decisions seems like part of the wall-of-secrecy plan that exists within the Pats. How can we criticize Bill for picks if he may not be making them? Or criticize Steve B when Mayo may have made the decision, or the other way around? We can't.

Now, keeping in mind that the players are still the main assets and the next group in order of importance, after Owner/GM would be the coaches. This is where the real problems occur with Pats fans. I don't think it's anywhere near as important as some others here do. It's still about the players. Always was and always will be. And the Pats don't have many of those and no QB.

And that brings us back to the beginning. The man responsible for picking the players is the main culprit.
Huh?? Because the horrible returns clearly shows that BB was making those picks it's no mystery.

Rosie Perez Reaction GIF

When he got hired, the board acted like he was the Messiah come to save us. It was weird actually.

Our offense is objectively worse. Why is he not getting any criticism? The guy has always been average which was why I did not want him.

Then I see this garbage take. He must be a source to Phil (who I like)! Don't care how modern our offense looks; it is crap!

O'Brien is doing just fine with what he's got to work. The offensive line is poor, and the QB is not an NFL caliber QB. You cannot blame O'Brien for dropped passes, fumbles, and untimely penalties.

The players are responsible for shooting themselves in the foot almost every time they get in the Red Zone.

Mac Jones cannot feel pressure and cannot throw receivers open. Just watch all these young QBs around the league. Mac is not in their class. He was a very good college QB but he doesn't have the skill at this level. It's too bad. He's trying hard. But it's time to move on.

Brake for Drake!

The bulk of the criticism is going to where it should. Bill the GM for putting together this offense and the players themselves.
Along the way too many here were apt to defend Bill the clueless GM because of his stellar record elsewhere.

For me the issues with Bill’s ridiculous drafting began with Tavon Wilson from Illinois in the second round. Legit nfl ability who was a borderline sixth rounder. A player I knew well.

Not even sure what the year was, but I took a lot of flak here over that. But Bill’s unremitting bad streak of second round selections, with a few exceptions here and there like Barmore, is irrefutable testimony against Belichick being GM moving forward.

Either here or elsewhere.

He was a very good college QB but he doesn't have the skill at this level.
Yes. That Alabama offense dominated and was loaded everywhere with first-rounders.

Clean pocket? Check
Freaky athletes at WR? Check
Ability to run or pass at will? Check

Mac Jones, it turns out, is Kirk Cousins lite.

I need a video of Mac Jones first flea flicker play to make a point about his decision making and arm strength. This was probably in his first 4 games or so. He threw some wobble to Janu Smith and it probably did not even get a first down. The play was there to be made as well. Will appreciate it if some can find it for me.
It's in the Jets game in Sept 19, 2021 at 1:56 of the first quarter, you can find it online, they got the first down, pass was actually OK but Agolar was wide open for a touchdown on the play and he threw it short despite having nobody near him when he threw he never looked anywhere but at Smith, might have been the first read and he just took it.

Of course results matter. But dismissing reasonable analysis as "excuses" and "noise" simplistically disregards the facts behind what's happening. They very well could be worse than last year with a better system/coaching than last year because of personnel issues. Look at what has occurred with the musical chairs OL and problems at WR.
It is not reasonable at all though. OC is your 2rd or 3rd most important coach. He is supposed to have a material impact on the team.

He has had none that is measurable in the only things that matter; points and wins. Patricia (said the decision was insane from day 1 btw) was killed on here and Bob has not done better and you can argue worse.

Everything else is just blah blah blah.

When he got hired, the board acted like he was the Messiah come to save us. It was weird actually.

Our offense is objectively worse. Why is he not getting any criticism? The guy has always been average which was why I did not want him.

Then I see this garbage take. He must be a source to Phil (who I like)! Don't care how modern our offense looks; it is crap!

Here's what's reported about BOB:
Screenshot_20231110_150649_Samsung Internet.jpg

Offensive line decimated, Quarterback terrible.

OCs and Head Coaches all look better with a top 5 QB. Same for all coaches.

BOB or Josh McD.? I don't think it matters. Mac does not read the D well post-snap - that is what matters.
But he did his first year, didn't he? Wasn't that what all the hype was at the time?

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back