PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WaPo: "Bill Belichick is unchanged, at the peak of his dynasty and at its end"

Regardless, he's not that good of a coach.
When you think about it, no one really is. For years we hear this guy is a moron, then he gets some great players and wins. This guy is a genius, then he gets crap players and loses. NFL coaches are the most overhyped, quickly turned-on, high turnover “assets” in pro sports.

GMs are not. The only question is whether it’s reasonable to expect a GM to consistently and reliably perform at a high level compared to other GMs, since there are 32 GMs all competing against each other, who mostly all know the data, the advanced scouting, etc, and it seems when a GM gets on a hot streak, there’s usually a lot of luck involved before regression to the mean.

Back to the coach. We just need a guy who can hold it all together, make reasonable decisions, and listen to the what the nerds tell him about in game decisions. In ten years, all of these coaching candidates we’re talking about now will be yesterday’s news because fans will realize they’re only as good as their players, and then they’ll want the next overhyped clipboard guy coming off a run if success which was due to having the right players.

Lol why are you interpreting it that way? really dude? Don't do that, it's obvious that's not what i meant.
Your position is Bill's offense made Kosar perform poorly and go rogue, correct?

Lol why are you interpreting it that way? really dude? Don't do that, it's obvious that's not what i meant.

I'm not really sure what you mean. Bill recognized Kosar's declining skills, implemented the offense he wanted, and the team won 11 games (Browns have not won more games in a season since) plus a playoff game. Bernie played for two more teams, and never won a game again.

What exactly is your point?

Why wasn't he ready?

He took a 3-13 Browns team and with a cash-strapped owner trying to move the team, without free agency and a washed up, entitled franchise QB to 11-5 and the #1 defense in the NFL four years later. Seemed ready to me.

I'll agree he needed some more seasoning (see make the rough edges a little duller) as a HC but he was absolutely ready to build a team and organization into a winning one.
Experience. Stubbornness. Also the same reasons that Josh is a 2x failure and Patricia and Judge were coaching failures. Relationships matter. BB hadn’t learned the people aspect of the job yet and it’s almost literally the reason why he was not brought to Baltimore. Going in to a situation guns blazing Im Bill Fn Belichick it’s my way or the highway is asking for failure when you don't have a track record to back it up. When the media and fans and even players hate you and they certainly did in Cleveland- if the right people in the organization and the team trust you then it doesn’t matter what they think. He didn’t have that. No way Kraft keeps the old Bill around for long.

Experience. Stubbornness. Also the same reasons that Josh is a 2x failure and Patricia and Judge were coaching failures. Relationships matter. BB hadn’t learned the people aspect of the job yet and it’s almost literally the reason why he was not brought to Baltimore. Going in to a situation guns blazing Im Bill Fn Belichick it’s my way or the highway is asking for failure when you don't have a track record to back it up. When the media and fans and even players hate you and they certainly did in Cleveland- if the right people in the organization and the team trust you then it doesn’t matter what they think. He didn’t have that. No way Kraft keeps the old Bill around for long.
Bill was/is a great head coach and built two winners.

Everyone else you mentioned were not and did not.

Bill was/is a great head coach and built two winners.

Everyone else you mentioned were not and did not.
I guess the point was I don't really hold Bill's record in Cleveland against his legacy. He became a much better coach than he was back then and I would imagine any longterm coach could say the same about their own career arc. Having the GOAT who was like an encyclopedia of offense helped of course. But his attention to detail manifested itself in Cleveland and today, that part wasn't taught.

With that said everyone has a best before date and I think we're past it with Bill. It's clear what needs to happen on offense this offseason and I don't think Bill has it in him to do that.

The point is that he installed a system that didn't fit the QB, and had issues with him. He was right to go to a different QB eventually, but before then it led to their offense being anemic for the first 3 years. And it's happened again the past 1 year and a half.
Seems familiar to him doubling down with Drew when he got here and that clearly wasn't the QB for him.

Seems familiar to him doubling down with Drew when he got here and that clearly wasn't the QB for him.

And yet, Bill will ride Mac off into the sunset. It's so frustrating to watch this play out.

I guess the point was I don't really hold Bill's record in Cleveland against his legacy. He became a much better coach than he was back then and I would imagine any longterm coach could say the same about their own career arc. Having the GOAT who was like an encyclopedia of offense helped of course. But his attention to detail manifested itself in Cleveland and today, that part wasn't taught.

With that said everyone has a best before date and I think we're past it with Bill. It's clear what needs to happen on offense this offseason and I don't think Bill has it in him to do that.
I agree. I obviously take issue with fans who hold Bill's time in CLE against him.

I think as a fan base we should stop with the stone-throwing and spend the last two months appreciating BB.

People don't realize the level of suckiness and disappointment this franchise experienced before he was hired

I agree. I obviously take issue with fans who hold Bill's time in CLE against him.

I think as a fan base we should stop with the stone-throwing and spend the last two months appreciating BB.

People don't realize the level of suckiness and disappointment this franchise experienced before he was hired
I think it's just a very disappointing and frustrating season. Most of us didn't expect a playoff run but I don't think many of us at all saw this coming. We're used to being a top shelf coached team and that seems to have changed this year.

I think it's just a very disappointing and frustrating season. Most of us didn't expect a playoff run but I don't think many of us at all saw this coming. We're used to being a top shelf coached team and that seems to have changed this year.
It's sucks. Absolutely brutal. I had fairly low expectations ( 8-9) but this is a train wreck.

This feels like the 89 season. Before the season I thought they had a chance at the playoffs but injuries and locker room BS killed the season. As a consequence, Raymond Berry was fired.

• 100% This
Reactions: sb1
It's sucks. Absolutely brutal. I had fairly low expectations ( 8-9) but this is a train wreck.

This feels like the 89 season. Before the season I thought they had a chance at the playoffs but injuries and locker room BS killed the season. As a consequence, Raymond Berry was fired.
I appreciate your level headed assessment overall of Bill and the situation. It's very disappointing, and a sad end to a HoF career here.

If I am Mac I can't get out of here fast enough. I don’t think he is a good QB by any means but he has been set up for failure here.
We want this Team to lose to the Giants it will be a Giant set back if they Beat us to a Franchise QB. We know they are looking for one too.

I appreciate your level headed assessment overall of Bill and the situation. It's very disappointing, and a sad end to a HoF career here.
It is a sad ending no question but it doesn't change my opinion of his career one iota.

We want this Team to lose to the Giants it will be a Giant set back if they Beat us to a Franchise QB. We know they are looking for one too.
If the Giants have Tyrod I think it's a toss up. If they have Tommy DeVito then I think we win.

If the Giants have Tyrod I think it's a toss up. If they have Tommy DeVito then I think we win.
Well good thing we have Mac and boy our CB's stink we'll' find a way to lose.
Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

If I am Mac I can't get out of here fast enough. I don’t think he is a good QB by any means but he has been set up for failure here.
Good riddance to bad rubbish. Mac has also consistently handled situations poorly. However poorly he was set up, he made the worst of it.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back