PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why am i supposed to believe that Tony Dungy is a good person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After going back through some of these responses, I must say, as a whole they are very disappointing. Seems like some are doing their best to find reasons to hate the man. Why?

What's so hard about saying, "Dungy is a good man and we'll kick your butts on Sunday?"

That not what I am seeing.
I am seeing one side saying Dungy is a great guy, and the other side saying before I believe that, I'd like something that isnt rhetorical to back it up.

To me, the pro-Dungy responses are fluff. The anti-Dungy responses are incomplete.
You won't convince me he's a good guy with religous, doesnt yell, and doesnt swear, because I know plenty of good guys who are the opposite, and plenty of bad guys who fit that mold.
You won't convince me he's a bad guy by holding him accountable for his son (although I must say that if you asked Tony Dungy he would blame himself at some level, which again doesn't make him a bad guy it makes him a parent who like all other parents has a limited amount of control) or that he goes out of his way to talk about how he is better than other people.

Tome, its a draw. Equal arguments on both sides. I do not know Tony Dungy, and what has been offered in this thread does the sum total of zero to sway my opinion either way.

The point of the thread was asking someone to tell us why we should feel he is a great guy. By that yardstick. the pro-Dungys have failed miserably. There really isn't anyone trying ot prove he's a bad guy, but the point of the thread was to show that he is a good guy.

Boomer, look at what BB has done. Jim Brown has said that he has done more than any black athlete for inner city african americans. That if jordan or tiger woods did half of what Bill did the world would be a serioulsy better place. Bellicheck has gone in to state prisons, sat down and talk with these men, like normal people, no judgement. He has done a ton of good and seeks no reward or recognition for it and he continues to do this until this day. If Brown didn't come out about it, no one would even know. What has Dungy done?
I know he has does the All pro Dad thing. My point is he certainly no better than BB or anyone else and that is the point. This Good and Evil crap is ridiculous.

I haven't made any posts questioning BB's contributions, I've only stated that the heat that he's been taking he's mostly brought on him self by a) Being a D*ck to the media b) The Spygate situation. Those are the only things that I have knocked BB on and I have always said he is a 1st Ballot HOF Coach.

And not trying to compare, but Dungy almost gave up coaching to start a prison ministry. I don't know if Jim Brown hangs around with Dungy much, but in this situation you described Dungy is constantly in prison minisitries and thats just going into there and talking to them one on one, no different from what you just described BB doing.

Thank you Aqua, but its not like this has already been repeated a MILLION times.

In a NFL world of drug dealers, accused murderers, cheaters, Drug Attics and abusers, in a sport that is based off of violence, yelling your *** off and embarassing yourself and players, gys making it rain in the club and beating up strippers, and winning at all costs, Dungy is simply himself. he has always been how he is now (since being a coach) so people cannot say he is a hypocrite, he is grounded in his faith and sticks by it and his beliefs at ALL times (including the death of his son) which is admirable no matter what religion you follow. he is in a position where many people including a entire race are looking up to him as a role model, and he has never given anyone real ammo to say hes not just that. he is soft spoken, he doesn't yell, he doesnt get hot headed, yet he makes his point just as well if not better than any coach in the league. He is heavy into the community and contrary to popular belief at this board he doesn't flaunt anything. He is the FIRST man to win a SB as a player and a coach, the first black coach to win a SB, and has one of the best win percentages of all time. he is a lock for the HOF, yet he carries himself incredibly humble for someone has influential as he is.

I challenge you all to find one player or coach who has ANYTHING bad to say about him?? Common I double dare you? now tell me how many other coaches can you say the same for in the NFL? he is a great role model and I hope to someday have the peace and calm that he says he has in his life right now, I hope to be a man who can put my faith first at all times, and I hope to be somebody that can be looked on the way he is.

Is that enough for you yet????

It seems that Polian does Dungy's firty deeds for him.

I haven't made any posts questioning BB's contributions, I've only stated that the heat that he's been taking he's mostly brought on him self by a) Being a D*ck to the media b) The Spygate situation. Those are the only things that I have knocked BB on and I have always said he is a 1st Ballot HOF Coach.

And not trying to compare, but Dungy almost gave up coaching to start a prison ministry. I don't know if Jim Brown hangs around with Dungy much, but in this situation you described Dungy is constantly in prison minisitries and thats just going into there and talking to them one on one, no different from what you just described BB doing.

See, now you have added something to the discussion. The 'almost' part didnt help, but if in fact Dungy spends his time going to prisions to help inmates, that is a chip is his corner as a good guy.

Keegs, I guess I can see a little bit of where you're coming from but this thread borders on evidence for other boards to prove we've gone off our rockers here at patsfans.com and have given up talking about football.

Ghandi, ah, I mean, Tony, Dungy is much nicer to the press while BB often comes off like a condescending prick - that much can't be argued. And that's probably where all this Dungy love starts and ends. OK?

What he said.

The media loves Dungy because he gives them what they want = good guy.

Belichick on the other hand sees the media for what they are and treats them accordingly = bad guy.

Its all opinion, some have the means to get their opinion more air time.

Boy this thread has been very sucessful in that it has 11 pages of responses....wow!!!!!

But trying to define a "good person" as it relates to football....how *^$%*^ STUPID!!!!!

hmmm what does the wind look like??? Lets start a new thread on that....come on......someone can surely give me a concrete description. And when you give me an answer....I will argue with you to be more specific......and you will try to elaborate........and I will say "you still haven't convinced me what the wind looks like.......and on and on and on and on and on. And the pages will keep adding up and adding up.:eek:

Last edited:
As tragic of an event as it was, people seem to forget that his son (who took his own life) clearly was not brought up well. He was obsessed with guns, violence, black supremacy, etc. Whatver reason for this, I don't know, but after Dungy went through this ordeal I think he has been respected more.

Add gay bashing to the list. Under the "who I'd like to meet" section on his myspace page it said "no f*gs". Which makes Dungy's appearance at a conservative "family-oriented"/anti-gay rights group seem all the more puzzling :confused: You'd think you'd want to distance yourself from that if you were him. That's why I think Dungy's a bit sketchy and don't buy into the hype that he's this benevolent second coming of MLK.

Last edited:
Dedicated to the best mod in the world, Andy Johnson

I think you have a reading comprehension problem.
I have said absolutely nothing negative and not drawn a single conclusion about Dungy.

That was the responssiblity on your end of the argument.
My end of the argument (started by Keegs, not me) was IMAGE and RHETORIC aside, what indicates Tony Dungy is a 'great guy'?

You have just misread my comments (which were QUESTIONS) to say that I have drawn a conclusion and held me to the fire to give you reasons.
The fact is that I drew no conclusion, and the point of this thread was if you have drawn a conclusion give reasons why.

Ironically, by misreading my posts (where I am saying IS HE....? but you interpret HE IS.....) you have isolated why you are losing this argument.

THE ONLY ONE OF US, you, Keegs, or I who have drawn a conclusion is you. Now you are asking me to give concrete reasons to support an opinion I have not made. However, you have been asked for 10 pages to give reason to support an opinion you are strongly making, but have not.

Let me put this another way.

You believe Dungy is a great guy.
I do not know. Please convince me.

The reason I do not know is that I do not accept the rhetorical reasons that are his image.
-"Religous" is neither a postive or negative to me, because calling yourself religous and acting in the way that implies is about a 50/50 shot
-"Doesnt yell" is neither positive or negative to me
-"Never swears" is neither positive or negative to me.

I'm just asking, since you seem so adamant that Dungy is a great guy to give me some reasons to agree with you. These would be real reasons, steeped in his actions, as well as things that are clearly positive.

I never thought this would be so difficult

1) joined the American Diabetes Association as spokesperson for the African American Program and School Walk for Diabetes campaign that is being conducted at more than 20 central Indiana schools.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1077/is_5_59/ai_113681691

2) Appointed to Presidents council on Service Participation
http://www.boxxet.com/Indianapolis_...ints_Tony_Dungy_as_New_Member_of_the.17xcbz.d

3) Wrote a inspirational Childrens book (PLEASE, if this doesn't convince you nothing will)

http://forums.digitalmedianet.com/cgi-bin/displaywwugpost.fcgi?forum=dmn_news&post=070824154636.htm

and just to top it off, because you DEMANDED i give you examples of what Dungy has done, because you demanded and huffed and puffed like the big bad mod, because you wouldn't give up the argument to begin with when I had already made my point.

"While with the Buccaneers, Dungy was active in the community, working as a public speaker for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and Athletes in Action. He launched Mentors for Life, a program that provided tickets to Buccaneers home games to area youth and their mentors. He also was a supporter of children’s charitable programs such as Family First, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, Boys & Girls Clubs, the Prison Crusade Ministry and foster parenting organizations. His wife, Lauren, volunteered at The Spring, a shelter for abused women and children, and the First Baptist Church of College Hill lunch program. His voluminous community works continue in Indianapolis. Dungy helped implement a local Basket of Hope program that benefits Riley Hospital for Children. He teamed with others in assisting All-Pro Dad, a family-based organization, and he was a spokesman for Arby’s Combo to benefit Big Brothers/Big Sisters and the Boys and Girls Club. Dungy’s reach throughout the area include works and appearances with the Black Coaches Association National Convention and Indiana Black Expo. He participated frequently in speaking appearances at area faith-based events and family football clinics"

Bottom Paragraph

http://www.associatedblackcharities.org/www_awards/2007/bio_dungy.shtml

happy now?

Last edited:
Stop it.....Please........Stop it:(

From, someone who went went to highschool school with James, and had a couple of classes with him before he passed away, please don't make uninformed comments on something you obviously know nothing about

Once a kid (or I should say adult) goes away to college, especially with their parents so far away (Indiana/Florida) that kid is officially on their own. They make their own decisions and their own choices. From what I knew of him he was a bit of a class clown, always making jokes, but he was always smiling and always upbeat

people wonder why I have been on here today defending Dungy so hard, but when I see the several moronic, hateful, and just ignorant comments about the death of someone I knew, and just plain DUMB rationalizations about a situation many people know NOTHING about just pisses me off. Your parents can raise you however they want but a decision to end one's life definitely does not mean he wasn't brought up well. Dungy has 5 other children alive and doing well, but I don't even know why I continue too argue with posters who show they have no idea what they're talking about before they complete their first sentence. Thats before even mentioning how big of a fan of the colts I am

You don't know what the person was going through to make them take their own lives, you probably couldn't imagine, so playing Dr Phil and making stupid comments like it must be the parenting is just plain DUMB. IDIOTIC even
Fine, you walked in the same halls and sat in the same classrooms, but DID you actually know him? Don't stand there on your proverbial soapbox chastising this guy for making a comment about the situation with Dungy's son. Unless you personally knew him and could defend his character based on actual conversations your opinion is no better than anyone else's. Just because someone writes a book doesn't mean everything in it is truthful. The publishing company makes sure the book will sell and will edit so it reaches an audience that will embrace it and sell more! Spare me the crap! Dungy preaches to people and how they should live their lives in a public forum, and as soon as someone does that, it lends me to believe they think they are somehow better than others and that right there, is enough for me to decide I don't like him! If you're a football coach then talk about football, other than that, STFU, plain and simple!

Yeah, seriously, NONE of us know Tony Dungy, NONE of us ever will, whether you go to his kid's high school or not. All we can do is judge what we see in the media. The media presents him as a saint, and I think it's probably a bit ridiculous. The guy's probably a good guy in person and none of us will ever know otherwise, but his high-horse, sanctimonious, uber-religious, no swearing, squeaky clean image is tiresome and overplayed.

Dedicated to the best mod in the world, Andy Johnson

1) joined the American Diabetes Association as spokesperson for the African American Program and School Walk for Diabetes campaign that is being conducted at more than 20 central Indiana schools.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1077/is_5_59/ai_113681691

2) Appointed to Presidents council on Service Participation
http://www.boxxet.com/Indianapolis_...ints_Tony_Dungy_as_New_Member_of_the.17xcbz.d

3) Wrote a inspirational Childrens book (PLEASE, if this doesn't convince you nothing will)

http://forums.digitalmedianet.com/cgi-bin/displaywwugpost.fcgi?forum=dmn_news&post=070824154636.htm

and just to top it off, because you DEMANDED i give you examples of what Dungy has done, because you demanded and huffed and puffed like the big bad mod, because you wouldn't give up the argument to begin with when I had already made my point.

"While with the Buccaneers, Dungy was active in the community, working as a public speaker for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and Athletes in Action. He launched Mentors for Life, a program that provided tickets to Buccaneers home games to area youth and their mentors. He also was a supporter of children’s charitable programs such as Family First, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, Boys & Girls Clubs, the Prison Crusade Ministry and foster parenting organizations. His wife, Lauren, volunteered at The Spring, a shelter for abused women and children, and the First Baptist Church of College Hill lunch program. His voluminous community works continue in Indianapolis. Dungy helped implement a local Basket of Hope program that benefits Riley Hospital for Children. He teamed with others in assisting All-Pro Dad, a family-based organization, and he was a spokesman for Arby’s Combo to benefit Big Brothers/Big Sisters and the Boys and Girls Club. Dungy’s reach throughout the area include works and appearances with the Black Coaches Association National Convention and Indiana Black Expo. He participated frequently in speaking appearances at area faith-based events and family football clinics"

Bottom Paragraph

http://www.associatedblackcharities.org/www_awards/2007/bio_dungy.shtml

happy now?

Was that so difficult?
You could have saved us a lot of trouble by producing facts rather than your feelings.

Good for him. I am glad to see that he is active in his community and involved in good causes.

Was that so difficult?
You could have saved us a lot of trouble by producing facts rather than your feelings.

Good for him. I am glad to see that he is active in his community and involved in good causes.

Alright thats fine by me , can we officially retire this thread now?

You guys are attempting the impossible... teaching a Colts fan how to have an intelligent discussion without talking *****.

Keegs, I guess I can see a little bit of where you're coming from but this thread borders on evidence for other boards to prove we've gone off our rockers here at patsfans.com and have given up talking about football.

Ghandi, ah, I mean, Tony, Dungy is much nicer to the press while BB often comes off like a condescending prick - that much can't be argued. And that's probably where all this Dungy love starts and ends. OK?

Very well said.

You guys are attempting the impossible... teaching a Colts fan how to have an intelligent discussion without talking *****.

He finally did though. All he had to do 11 pages ago was show examples of good deeds by dungy.

like Bob Costas said tonite in Inside The NFL. "Dungy sent his playbook to BB and BB sent it back with corrections"

I met Tony Dungy some years ago.

Seemed like a nice enough guy.

I hate his guts though.

Hope that helps, Bloomer

Last edited:
He finally did though. All he had to do 11 pages ago was show examples of good deeds by dungy.

My point is and has been throughout this entire conversation , good deeds don't really mean **** in the end if you don't walk act and talk like it. Anybody can donate to charities once in a while and do this and that, but its how somebody really acts and how somebody carries themselves that I think is just as if not more important, and I was attempting to make the point with you all over and over again, that Dungy hasn't given anyone a reason to doubt if he was a "good" person, like the original poster was suggesting. Counting good deeds in the end doesn't mean much if the person doesn't carry themselves and set an example and you shoudlnt let that be the only thing that sways your opinion, but thats what you wanted. I was saying Dungy has always done this, and people tried to turn that into me saying he was head and shoulders above everyone else, when I started out this thread defending him from my 1st post

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick