PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why am i supposed to believe that Tony Dungy is a good person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but having one of the largest coaching trees in the NFL, Winning a SB as a player and coach (never been done) being the First black coach to win one, and having his win percentage with the chance he'll add a little more bling DOES make him a lock, and you're foolish to think he won't be in it, that won't even be argued.

I'm arguing it right now

1. How large is it please so I can do a comparison with coaches who have and have not made it into the HOF

2. Wining a SB in 2 different roles is certainly interesting but was he a critical contributor to the SB win as a player? If not then it is kind of like saying "First 6-toed player/coach to wina SB"

3. His skin color is irrelevant unless you feel that some sort of affirmative action should be applied to an honor as performanced-based as HOF selection.

4. His win percentage is relevant but how does it compare with other HOF coaches?

5. He hasn't one anything beyond the 1 SB yet. And as long as Brady and Beli are around, odds are he won't win any more!

Last edited:
Well seeing how NONE of us know anybody that we see or or shwon or TV I guess its LOGICAL that you would judge somebody off of their Actions, their demeanor, how they carry themselves and from Public perceptions. I never knew hitler but I can safely say he wasn't a great person, I never Met Mother Teresea either but I can say she was a pretty good person based off of the available evidence

You say Dungy's image isn't consitent with the "truth" So what exactly is your truth? because here is reality Dungy hasn't given shown written said or acted in any way to make me say that he is not a person that should looked up to and followed as a role model, but since you have this 'truth' that I don't, I'm sure you can give me some CONCRETE reasons that you have observed that would make you believe he doesn't live a life consitent with the way he carries himself around his players, the media, the respect he has from his peers, the respect he has for the game, the respect he has from his players and the stories from the many people close to him, that don't speak of this "truth" that you are referring to?

Or maybe it's just that the truth is maybe Dungy is the person he claims to be, the person he acts like, talks like, and walks like, that maybe this "truth" you speak of is really just your Colts bias wanting him to be something other than what every thing points to he is.....???

Here is how I measure my own view of someone...if I ran into them onan airport delay and had to sit with them for 4 hours over a beer, would I feel like I could have a good conversation with them about something? Dungy...yes I could, BB....yes I could, Donald Trump...yes but only if it was about business because every time he opens his mouth about anything else it terrifies me what will come out. Case in point...on Larry King he called Angelina Jolie ugly...crazy bastard

Wow, 8 pages on this nonsense thread.

Lets try this. Aren't all people "good" until they do or say something "bad"? So both BB and Dungy are good people because they haven't done or said anything bad,IMO.
Now in some peoples opinion neither one are "good". But in many other peoples opinions both are "good". Believe what the hell you want.:eek:

You sure about that? Not Dungy, but BB.

"bad" is subjective. I don't view cameragate as bad because I am a "the end justifies the means" football fan. And I firmly believe that a LOT of teams were doing the same thing including the jets.

He did however cheat on his wife, which is not a good thing. I do not know however if Dungy has always been faithful because the media doesn't have the hard-on for him that they do for BB.

Last edited:
Wow, 8 pages on this nonsense thread.

Only 4 for me when you posted that. You should change your options so you don't have to flip to the next page so often, much easier.

Last edited:

Well the video thing was shaky...legal technicality-wise. And having an extra marital affair is not the greatest thing anyone ever did. Plus he is a notoriously difficult person to work for who most definately *does* yell and swear at people. Is he a good role model for most people? I would say no. But if you are one of the lucky few who has discovered a passion that has turned into a successful life's work...he one of the best role models imaginable.

"bad" is subjective. I don't view cameragate as bad because I am a "the end justifies the means" football fan. And I firmly believe that a LOT of teams were doing the same thing including the jets.

He did however cheat on his wife, which is not a good thing. I do not know however if Dungy has always been faithful because the media doesn't have the hard-on for him that they do for BB.

Yeah bad and good are words that really have no meaning simply because everyone's definition of bad and good differ from one person to another.

Obviously, most Patriots fans will find the light at the end of the tunnel with spy gate and obviously I feel the opposite way because I despise the Pats.

The thing about Bill is that he doesn't bull**** any one. I think the more you knew some of these giant football figures the more you would come to realize how "human" they really are.

With Bill, he's not putting on an act, he's kind of a **** head, he knows it and he displays it.

Who says Peyton Manning isn't a jerk when he's not in front of a camera? (And if that was the case, the man needs a damn Oscar because he's in every commercial meaning he does a lot of acting.)

Well the video thing was shaky...legal technicality-wise. And having an extra marital affair is not the greatest thing anyone ever did. Plus he is a notoriously difficult person to work for who most definately *does* yell and swear at people. Is he a good role model for most people? I would say no. But if you are one of the lucky few who has discovered a passion that has turned into a successful life's work...he one of the best role models imaginable.

I would never doubt his success as a coach. Despite the spy gate, his talent evaluation and coaching method is 2nd to none in the league right now.

But as you said, some of his character/off field decisions are questionable and that's why I think you can't call him a good role model.

"Dungy? Hell, I was Dungy before Dungy."

> I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

>Whining is anger coming through a very small opening.

>You're only as sick as your secrets.

>Compare and despair.

>I am a human being, not a human doing.

>Pee-wee Herman: There but for the grace of God go I.

>I'm a skeleton because its scary and because it reminds me that I am a human being. And that's okay. That's what I am. And beside, I think it makes me look thinner (a Halloween thought).

Stuart Smalley

Wow Keegs, you've really outdone yourself this time.
You've got 'em all wound up.

Please define "good person" and I'll let you know if Dungy might have done things to fit the description.

Yeah bad and good are words that really have no meaning simply because everyone's definition of bad and good differ from one person to another.

Obviously, most Patriots fans will find the light at the end of the tunnel with spy gate and obviously I feel the opposite way because I despise the Pats.

The thing about Bill is that he doesn't bull**** any one. I think the more you knew some of these giant football figures the more you would come to realize how "human" they really are.

With Bill, he's not putting on an act, he's kind of a **** head, he knows it and he displays it.

Who says Peyton Manning isn't a jerk when he's not in front of a camera? (And if that was the case, the man needs a damn Oscar because he's in every commercial meaning he does a lot of acting.)

Did you miss NFL today when Jimmy Johnson admitted to doing the same thing? Does that change your view of it?

Keegs' point: that we don't actually know anything about Belichick, Dungy, or, for the most part, pretty much anyone else in the league. We have anecdotal evidence that suggests stuff, but, in reality, perception is shaped far more by the media machine. The media likes Dungy, so he's painted as a good guy, and the exact opposite holds true for Belichick.

This is not a dig on Dungy, who, aside from the bigotry and sanctimonious attitude, would seem to be a pretty good guy (that sentence will probably come across as sarcastic, but I don't mean it to be. Everyone has faults, and those are a couple of his). I think the general point of this thread, though, is that there's really no good reason to conclude that he is a 'better' person than Belichick, except that the media says so. They could both be great people, they could both be awful, or anywhere in between.

Actually yeah, he is putting on an act. He plans out how he wants his press conference to go each day. He decides on what the most likely questions will be and how he wants to answer them.

I think the general point of this thread, though, is that there's really no good reason to conclude that he is a 'better' person than Belichick, except that the media says so. They could both be great people, they could both be awful, or anywhere in between.

Is that what he was trying to say? Well then I would agree. None of us know them personally afterall.

Why though do you think Dungy is sanctimounious?

Well seeing how NONE of us know anybody that we see or or shwon or TV I guess its LOGICAL that you would judge somebody off of their Actions, their demeanor, how they carry themselves and from Public perceptions. I never knew hitler but I can safely say he wasn't a great person, I never Met Mother Teresea either but I can say she was a pretty good person based off of the available evidence

You say Dungy's image isn't consitent with the "truth" So what exactly is your truth? because here in reality Dungy hasn't given, shown, written said, or acted in any way to make me say that he is not a person that should looked up to and followed as a role model, that he is not the person he claims to be, but since you have this 'truth' that I don't, I'm sure you can give me some CONCRETE reasons that you have observed that would make you believe he doesn't live a life consitent with the way he carries himself around his players, the media, the respect he has from his peers, the respect he has for the game, the respect he has from his players and the stories from the many people close to him, that don't speak of this "truth" that you are referring to?

Or maybe it's just that the truth is maybe Dungy is the person he claims to be, the person he acts like, talks like, and walks like, that maybe this "truth" you speak of is really just your Colts bias wanting him to be something other than what every thing points to him being....???

I think you have a reading comprehension problem.
I have said absolutely nothing negative and not drawn a single conclusion about Dungy.

That was the responssiblity on your end of the argument.
My end of the argument (started by Keegs, not me) was IMAGE and RHETORIC aside, what indicates Tony Dungy is a 'great guy'?

You have just misread my comments (which were QUESTIONS) to say that I have drawn a conclusion and held me to the fire to give you reasons.
The fact is that I drew no conclusion, and the point of this thread was if you have drawn a conclusion give reasons why.

Ironically, by misreading my posts (where I am saying IS HE....? but you interpret HE IS.....) you have isolated why you are losing this argument.

THE ONLY ONE OF US, you, Keegs, or I who have drawn a conclusion is you. Now you are asking me to give concrete reasons to support an opinion I have not made. However, you have been asked for 10 pages to give reason to support an opinion you are strongly making, but have not.

Let me put this another way.

You believe Dungy is a great guy.
I do not know. Please convince me.

The reason I do not know is that I do not accept the rhetorical reasons that are his image.
-"Religous" is neither a postive or negative to me, because calling yourself religous and acting in the way that implies is about a 50/50 shot
-"Doesnt yell" is neither positive or negative to me
-"Never swears" is neither positive or negative to me.

I'm just asking, since you seem so adamant that Dungy is a great guy to give me some reasons to agree with you. These would be real reasons, steeped in his actions, as well as things that are clearly positive.

I never thought this would be so difficult

After going back through some of these responses, I must say, as a whole they are very disappointing. Seems like some are doing their best to find reasons to hate the man. Why?

What's so hard about saying, "Dungy is a good man and we'll kick your butts on Sunday?"

You should read his book, seriously. I think a lot of opinions on this board would sincerely be changed if people even took the time to read even a few chapters of his book

God, don't start talking about his book, that's how I got banned from Indystar!!

Boomer, look at what BB has done. Jim Brown has said that he has done more than any black athlete for inner city african americans. That if jordan or tiger woods did half of what Bill did the world would be a serioulsy better place. Bellicheck has gone in to state prisons, sat down and talk with these men, like normal people, no judgement. He has done a ton of good and seeks no reward or recognition for it and he continues to do this until this day. If Brown didn't come out about it, no one would even know. What has Dungy done?
I know he has does the All pro Dad thing. My point is he certainly no better than BB or anyone else and that is the point. This Good and Evil crap is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes