PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why am i supposed to believe that Tony Dungy is a good person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You still havent answered the question.
You said he isnt a drug dealer. That makes him a great guy?
You said he doesnt yell. Are you implying people who raise their voice are bad people? Thats part of the point here. You arent a great guy because your demeanor is to be quiet.
You said he follows his beliefs. So does everyone. Are you saying his beliefs are better than mine?
Winning a SB as a reserve player and a coach, being the first black coach to win are irrelevant to the argument of is he a great guy.
I disagree that he doesnt 'flaunt it'. He goes out of the way to tell everyone what his beliefs are. If he has no agenda, why does he make that such an issue?

Okay Mr Mod, if you want to play braindead then go right ahead. My post made perfect sense, but hey I understand, you don't like Dungy. Congrats, you and the minority can keep your built in dislike for him okay??

Maybe your question should not have been what makes Dungy a good person, but what makes him a Great man and Great role model, because now that I think of it "Good" is to broad of a term to use in this context

So what does that make you, for attacking a dead teenager, someone who can't and never will be able to defend themselves. Atleast I can say I knew the person IN REAL LIFE, so I consider myself a little bit more qualified on the subject than you, okay a LOT MORE qualified to speak on it than you. But everyone's entitled to their own opinions, It just happens yours is misguided and ignorant

How does your passing knowledge of the person make you an expert on judging him? Do you know why he killed himself? Do you intimately know his relationship with his parents, and what impact they had in it all?
This is a foolish topic to begin with, but its ludicrous for you to say you have a better opinion than anyone else because you 'thought he was kind of a class clown'.

Anybody notice how any topics about Dungy eventually turn into attacks on Christianity??? Already happened twice in a few hours. And the funniest thing is in my recent post about Dungy I didn't mention one thing about him being good because he was a christian

It's not an attack on Christianity. It's an attack on people who use religion as a platform to spew their bigoted views.

Last edited:
How about this snippit from his MySpace:

Disgraceful.

Does that make Dungy a bad person?

Maybe the fact that he was so secluded from his family had something to do with it.

Does that make Dungy a bad person?

Maybe the fact that he was so secluded from his family had something to do with it.

If you followed the conversation, I already excluded Dungy from this, and was simply stating how detestable of a human being his son was.

Okay Mr Mod, if you want to play braindead then go right ahead. My post made perfect sense, but hey I understand, you don't like Dungy. Congrats, you and the minority can keep your built in dislike for him okay??

Maybe your question should not have been what makes Dungy a good person, but what makes him a Great man and Great role model, because now that I think of it "Good" is to broad of a term to use in this context

I have nothing against Dungy. I am just joining the discussion that asked Why is he a great guy.
Its very simple, just give some concrete answers. I'm not convinced one way or the other, but it really is starting to look like rhetoric when you cannot give any concrete examples.

How does your passing knowledge of the person make you an expert on judging him? Do you know why he killed himself? Do you intimately know his relationship with his parents, and what impact they had in it all?
This is a foolish topic to begin with, but its ludicrous for you to say you have a better opinion than anyone else because you 'thought he was kind of a class clown'.

I never claimed to be best friends with him, I only brought tha up in response to a poster who used his myspace page to label him as some depressed crazy suicidal gun toting black militant. Because people never put outrageous things on their myspace sites right???? :rolleyes:

And yes, i think someone who went to high school and had classes with someone who this conversation is mostly revolved around DOES give me a better opinion on the situation than some Pat fan sitting 1000 miles away in boston who hates the Colts and saw one Myspace page so now they can determine what went wrong, i never claimed to know any of that, but I don't make outrageous ignorant statements about the situation either, and this is from somebody who was closer to it than any of you can claim to be

Did Dungy actually support an Anti-gay group? Because if he did, he is an ******* in my book. The idea that a gay couple can't raise a family is not only ridiculous, but extremely wrong. Almost every gay couple that chooses to have a kid has to plan, be prepared, and want a child. You don't have the situation of mistake children, or situations were the parents didn't plan well.

If this is true I think he is an ignorant *******. And if these ideas were installed by his Christian beliefs, I am even more sickened.

Beside that, there is no reason to believe he is a good guy. They way he portrays himself and acts is just his image. Who knows what he might actually be like in private. Really, the same goes for any coach or person. Just because they are nice to the media or the players really doesn't mean anything. Dungy's job isn't to be nice, its to manage his football team to the best of his ability. Who is to say that Bill Belichicks way he deals with his players and the media isn't a better way to manage a team? In that case, he would be doing his job better than Dungy. Which would be more admirable then, huh?

The answer is you really don't know. The media will say anything to sell papers. They labelled Moss as a bad boy of the NFL and look how wrong that was. They don't care about the truth.

If you followed the conversation, I already excluded Dungy from this, and was simply stating how detestable of a human being his son was.

Ah, I see. Point taken, I had no idea he was like that. It was very obvious that he was pretty misguided but my guess is he put on an act whenever he was engaged with his father.

I never claimed to be best friends with him, I only brought tha up in response to a poster who used his myspace page to label him as some depressed crazy suicidal gun toting black militant. Because people never put outrageous things on their myspace sites right???? :rolleyes:

And yes, i think someone who went to high school and had classes with someone who this conversation is mostly revolved around DOES give me a better opinion on the situation than some Pat fan sitting 1000 miles away in boston who hates the Colts and saw one Myspace page so now they can determine what went wrong, i never claimed to know any of that, but I don't make outrageous ignorant statements about the situation either, and this is from somebody who was closer to it than any of you can claim to be

I just dont think you get the point.
What facet of this topic do you know anything more about than any random person out there?
You certainly have not shown anything to show you knew him well enough to know what kind of a person he is, right?
You certainly have no idea of the relationship he had with his parents.
I find it hard to believe, based on what you said, that you knew him well enough to judge that when he wrote his hero was the DC Sniper, that he was just joking.

What you are saying is akin to the people who worked with David Berkowitz, and suspected nothing, are a better judge of what kind of a person he is than the general public who are judging him as a mass murderer.

Dude, I'm begging you here. Did he save a puppy on the street? Put a homeless family up? BB is villified by everyone but we can all spit out hundreds of things he has done. Charity work, mentoring etc.....All we have on Dungy is he's a quiet guy who doesn't yell, writes a book about how great he is and his charity work is supporting an anti gay group.

I'll only make this special argument for you since you're a mod

You still havent answered the question.
You said he isnt a drug dealer. That makes him a great guy?
You said he doesnt yell. Are you implying people who raise their voice are bad people? Thats part of the point here. You arent a great guy because your demeanor is to be quiet.

You missed the main part of what I said. it isn't just about what he ISN'T but who he continues to be in enviroment and a profession where coaches like him rarely succeed and where the sterotype is you ahve to be some bad *** foul mouthed loonie to coach a football team.

You said he follows his beliefs. So does everyone. Are you saying his beliefs are better than mine?

No I did not come close to saying anything like that. i said regardless of his religion, his faith is reflected in the type of person he is and how he carries himself, and even in times of trials he kept that faith, and he has never put it behind anything. When everyone else including Colts players were crying at his sons funeral he stood there like (excuse the lame cliche) a pillar of strength, and since I have read his book I know that is from his faith, thats his QUIET strength. No matter what religion I follow I can only hope to have the courage and strength to stick with it and keep it first at all times, and no everyone does not do that

Winning a SB as a reserve player and a coach, being the first black coach to win are irrelevant to the argument of is he a great guy.
I disagree that he doesnt 'flaunt it'. He goes out of the way to tell everyone what his beliefs are. If he has no agenda, why does he make that such an issue?

Again, you're taking what I said out of context. I was saying in the light of his accomplishments, he is a VERY looked upon man in not just his profession but also by the a) Christian community b) Black Community. He has every reason to be big headed and not stay the humble quiet person he has been, but winning that SB did not change him. And he has every friggin right on earth to profess his faith, yet he still doesnt do it nearly as much as you all make it out to be. But he is attacked for it constantly, like its not his right to be Christian, and if he is he must NEVER mention it. His book wasn't preaching to anybody, it was telling the story of how his faith and upbringing has shaped him into the person he is today, it just so happens he is looked on has a role model because of this, now is that his fault???

What do you know about James but his Myspace page? Have you ever met him? talked to him? Were you reading his journal or something? Were you his shrink at one time??? Or are you just talking out your ***??

I think I already know which one

Last edited:
We aren't talking about his football career, were talking about whether or not he is a good person.

No he's not. His team has won 1 Superbowl...not enough to get into the HOF!

Yeah but having one of the largest coaching trees in the NFL, Winning a SB as a player and coach (never been done) being the First black coach to win one, and having his win percentage with the chance he'll add a little more bling DOES make him a lock, and you're foolish to think he won't be in it, that won't even be argued.

We Aren't Talking About His Achivements As A Coach!

You know, i think it's great if an athlete or a football coach is a great person off the field, but it by no means effects what goes on the field or makes them better at their job. I was listening to an ESPN podcast today, featuring a debate between Gresh and some guy from Indy, and the Indy guy actually said that Dungy gets that the Colts get the coaching edge because Dungy is "a hall of fame coach AND a hall of fame person." By all accounts Andy Reid is an amazing man. But does taht give him an edge in a game? Come on.

And the idea of the sports media deciding who is good and righteous and who is sinful or less of a good person is just plain idiotic. They can't know what goes on in the hearts and minds of men. Everyone has skeletons in their closets. Im sure Dungy has a few.

What do you know about James but his Myspace page? Have you ever met him? talked to him? Were you reading his journal or something? Were you his shrink at one time??? Or are you just talking out your ***??

I think I already know which one
In order to put something like that on your online profile, which you know everybody will see, you have to be a complete wacko. I don't have one bit of sympathy for what happened to him after that disgusting attack on my race. Good riddance.

One really shouldn't speak ill of the dead. That was in poor taste...you did not know him personally did you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back