PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I think that all of Shuster's 2024 money is guaranteed.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I believe that we save nothing by cutting Shuster now or after the season. Cutting him now merely accelerates the 2024 cap hit.
==========
The reality seems to be that Belichick's medical evaluators have failed yet again. Shuster is injured.

TO BE CLEAR
Shuster is nowhere near ready to compete at a high level. Maybe that will never be the case. IMO, Shuster will likely be put on IR (and should be put on IR). It he is healthy, then we have a #4 or #5 for next year at zero cost.

Obviously, we would prefer some team to take Shuster and trade 7ths. Why would anyone do that until he is 100% healthy?

I believe that we save nothing by cutting Shuster now or after the season. Cutting him now merely accelerates the 2024 cap hit.
==========
The reality seems to be that Belichick's medical evaluators have failed yet again. Shuster is injured.

TO BE CLEAR
Shuster is nowhere near ready to compete at a high level. Maybe that will never be the case. IMO, Shuster will likely be put on IR (and should be put on IR). It he is healthy, then we have a #4 or #5 for next year at zero cost.

Obviously, we would prefer some team to take Shuster and trade 7ths. Why would anyone do that until he is 100% healthy?
Yeah that is something I have mentioned in other threads where people are pining to cut him. It would be pointless. The only sensible move is to get someone to trade for him for any price in order for the other team to take on his 2024 guaranteed salary. Otherwise you are just paying him his guaranteed money in 2024 to not play for you - you may as well keep him as a depth player on the roster in that scenario.

I think one minor window of opportunity might be if KC wants WR help - they might take Juju back for less than $1M in salary this year and make him look competent again, then push that $7M salary next year off on a different trade partner next year - or just keep him if they think that salary's fine - the deal kind of becomes a 2 year/ $7.5ish million deal for them at that point with 95% of the money due next year.

Yeah that is something I have mentioned in other threads where people are pining to cut him. It would be pointless. The only sensible move is to get someone to trade for him for any price in order for the other team to take on his 2024 guaranteed salary. Otherwise you are just paying him his guaranteed money in 2024 to not play for you - you may as well keep him as a depth player on the roster in that scenario.

I think one minor window of opportunity might be if KC wants WR help - they might take Juju back for less than $1M in salary this year and make him look competent again, then push that $7M salary next year off on a different trade partner next year - or just keep him if they think that salary's fine - the deal kind of becomes a 2 year/ $7.5ish million deal for them at that point with 95% of the money due next year.
yes, if Shuster is healthy, that is a possibility. The gamble would be that Shuster is worth $7.5M in 2024. Of course, if Shuster were indeed worth $7.5M in 2024, we'd feel a bit silly for giving him up, merely because we made a mistake in assessing his medical conditions.

Meyers actually ended up with a more team friendly contract than Juju.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back