PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What do we have in Green-Ellis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, we need to develop a young running back.
Sammy Morris is 31.
Lamont Jordan is 30.
Kevin Faulk is 32.

Maroney was supposed to be that back, and maybe he still will be. But the guy has to start staying on the field. The next young back on our roster is Green-Ellis. He looked decent tonight in his first real playing time. Let's all be patient and see how he develops. If he develops into a decent to good running back, this is good for us, IMO.

And what is WRONG with picking up an average hard running back as an UDFA? If Jordan is re-signed, we'll have five running backs in camp!

Nothing wrong with that. But if he actually displays "vision" along with running hard, he has the chance of becoming very good. Honestly I hadn't even heard of this guy until tonight. Well I knew we had picked him up but his existence had not registered on my radar! Time to do some research...

Here's some more info:

Green-Ellis lacks feel in the passing game, but otherwise is blessed with a rare combination of size, agility and acceleration.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/benjarvus-green-ellis?id=929

ESPN had him projected as a 6th round pick.

Bottom line: Green-Ellis doesn't have the speed or elusiveness and he is an adequate-at-best receiver out of the backfield but he has the burst, size and toughness to develop into an effective short-yardage back so he projects as a late sixth round pick

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft...cker/player?id=12066&univLogin02=stateChanged

Last edited:
Still, you have to gauge it against how badly the Broncos had given up at that point.

Ironically, the team the Patriots played against tonight is one of the prime examples of the 'guy from nowhere into NFL workhouse' paradigm.

Yes, these thoughts are not connected.

All I know is I watched the game with a Broncos fan who kept telling me how their #37 is the next John Lynch (big hitter) and G-E ran him the hell over, like just put him on his back. I'm looking forward to seeing more of him.

I don't necessarily like him as a substitute for Maroney though as he seems to have a fairly similar style to the other two main backs on our roster. It was nice to have that change of pace back.

Look, we need to develop a young running back.
Sammy Morris is 31.
Lamont Jordan is 30.
Kevin Faulk is 32.

Maroney was supposed to be that back, and maybe he still will be. But the guy has to start staying on the field. The next young back on our roster is Green-Ellis. He looked decent tonight in his first real playing time. Let's all be patient and see how he develops. If he develops into a decent to good running back, this is good for us, IMO.

Thank you. Hopefully Green-Ellis can provide depth to our back field for the next few years, and hopefully beyond. Possibly develop into a decent change of pace back that can take a few carries every game. And I'm not making any comparison here, but don't forget Willie Parker was also an UDFA for the Steelers.

and He looked really good tonight for someone who started the season on our practice squad.

Last edited:
Runs hard, hits the line without stutter steps, breaks tackles(all night he took contact and either broke the first tackle or pushed forward for positive yardage)...he stepped in and performed...what MORE does he have to do now but continue? I'm sure there'll be another fifty Scary Mary threads put up crying about "why do we play an undrafted rookie???...real reall baaaaddddd!!!".

There's a lot of UDFA who have become very good players in this league.

It has nothing to do with that. Personally Id rather have an UDFA who hits the hole rather than a soft 1st rounder who dances around and gets injured every 2 weeks.

On his combine analysis page, it says that sometimes he hits the hole TOO hard and doesn't wait for it to develop. That didn't seem like a big issue tonight :)

ooops...NOW you did it...you just opened the door for Patslifer and BtoB to go off with "he hits the hole TOO hard" rants. You KNOW they've been just itching to write their patented hate vomit now that Maroney is IR'ed.

I just hope BJ develops into a nice power back and Maroney gets back healthy for the future. That'd be a nice tandem for a couple years. :)

Maroney will never stay healthy.

Patriots need to cut their ties with him and just accept that they finally had a 1st round bust in the Belicheck era.

That draft class is cursed. We havent won a SB since then.

I kinda think Maroney is done as well. In some ways its a good thing as Morris + Jordan were getting it done better anyway and hopefully Green-Ellis matures and gets some game time

Lets use picks 1 and the 2 2nd rounders on OL,LB and DB and hopefully pick up a good RB in the later rounds ...

Patriots need to cut their ties with him and just accept that they finally had a 1st round bust in the Belicheck era.

You haven't forgotten Chad Jackson, have you? ;) But wait, was he a first rounder?

Last edited:
I have always loved the way Morris runs, and I think that the Pats are much better off with Morris than an injuried Maroney (he is a great back, when healthy, the only problem with that is, in the NFL, you are nver really ever completely healthy). I thought that Green-Ellis ran well, remember this kid rushed for over a 1,000 in the SEC, not the WAC, that is Big Boy football, so he should be the real thing.

Anyone else notice how much better the running attack was, once Stephen Neal returned to the field? I'm telling you, him getting hurt in the SB, was one of the biggest reason they lost that game.

Now if they can get Kazur back, the O-line should be stable again.

I thought that Green-Ellis ran well, remember this kid rushed for over a 1,000 in the SEC, not the WAC, that is Big Boy football, so he should be the real thing.

Agreed and his O line in college wasn't the greatest. It had to be a positive experience last night knowing, not just with the stats but knowing you're the primary back in the second half. Nice start and something to build on.........

Rebels revel over Green-Ellis | ScrippsNews

He is signed on the cheap until 2010. He will not be cut.

The kid ran all over Alabama last year:

Rushing No Gain Loss Net TD Lg Avg
BJ Green-Ellis 20 136 5 131 0 57 6.6

With Saban back in the SEC, will we start to draft better? :tinfoil:

Along with getting this guy a name change I think the pats are trying to send a message to marooney that a udfa can get it done

Keep in mind the Broncos defense is horrible.
Yes, but did you watch him run? Hit the hole fast, and kept his legs churning. Moved the pile and fell forward.

I'm not going overboard yet, not after remembering Mike CLoud's first game against the Titans, and Heath Evans against the Dolphins, but I'm cautiously optimistic about BJGE.

And I definately like his running style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News