PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker wants to stay

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 4 year deal is good. 4 yr 30 million.

For a receiver of Welker's caliber, 7.5MM/yr is a little low, especially considering that he's on pace to break the NFL records for receptions and yards. At the very least he'll lead the league for a 3rd time in 5 years in receptions and be in the top 5 in yards (even if he only averages 80 ypg the rest of the way, which is his career average, he'll end with 1620 yards).

The Jags just signed Mike Thomas (66-820-4 in 2010) to a $6MM/yr deal. Larry Fitz just signed for $15MM/yr.

I think we end around at $9-10MM/yr.

He'll be 31 next season.

You are right. I heard on the radio that he would be 32 next year. Still he his getting up there in age to get a longer term deal of more than 3 years.

Santonio Holmes, a guy who has had only one great season two years ago, got five years, $45 million with $24 million guaranteed. Welker is going to command about that much or more because he is better than Holmes (although on the wrong side of 30). He will get about $10-11 million a year on the open market. That is why I think the Pats might franchise him (the franchise tag will be about as much) if he does not take a team friendly deal.

Last edited:
Needs 80 receptions to become Patriots all time leader and in his 5th year with NE.

Probably ends up a few shy of it this year so he must come back!

Wow really? That's troy brown's record isn't it? Man I bet he thought that record would last a little longer than like 6 years.

The good news is Welker's basically said that he's not going to leave just to get more money.

As long as the Patriots make what Welker considers a fair offer, it'll get done.

The good news is Welker's basically said that he's not going to leave just to get more money.

As long as the Patriots make what Welker considers a fair offer, it'll get done.

I pray and hope for that.

I pray and hope for that.

As much as we talk about GRONK and Hernandez, the offense is still very much built around Welker. Can you imagine BB letting Welker play, say, with Peyton Manning? :eek:

I love Welker! I really do. He must remain a Patriot. At least that's what I am hoping for, but for now let's win some ball games.

Could you imagine the frenzy for him if he went free agent. I would say he could get close to 50 for 4 years.

Patriots will have to come in with 4 over 30 with about 16 guaranteed (prob 20).

What the team and what he consider fair will be very interesting. Would imagine they try to shy away from anything over 8.5 a year.

What is that got to do with anything? it wasnt funny, you think WW would like to see NE fans look at him like he was a dog?
Hey, it's a valid analogy for TFB:
"He has great quickness. He’s very smart. He’s like a Labrador out there. You can throw the ball, he runs and fetches it, runs back, gets to the huddle and looks up and he’s panting with sweat coming down his face. He’s been great to have around. He works extremely hard."

I hope he stays too, and feel confident that something will get done unless the Pats get really hard nose with the "value" stuff and low ball him too much . . .

for what it is worth, and hopefully it will be helpful, Denion Branch is in the house, one who has left for greener pasture . . . lets hope the front office remembers that and goes a little easier on the hard nose value stuff with welker, don't want to loose two guys to "value", also too Branch can let welker know some of the no so pleasent things about leaving for the money . . .

I don't think there's any way he'll go, franchised at worst. Hopefully similar to Wilfork's situation and deal. Of course there's always that concern he'll get away

Welker is worth every penny of whatever the amount ends up being... and then some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes