PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker wants to stay

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I know, almost everyone says it, but given what Welker's said in the past, I really believe he means it:

"Well, of course I want to stay here, but as of right now, I don't really think about it," Welker said. "I just try to focus on this year and everything I can do to help the team this year."

Welker hasn't said whether or not he has been involved in contract discussions with the team, but he's not looking for greener pastures.

"I am always proud to be a Patriot in everything we're trying to accomplish here," Welker said. "I think we have a great owner and great coaches and they have put together a great model for us to go out there and succeed. Any time you're a part of that, it's a pretty special thing."

Get it done, front office folk.

I think that Welker will stay and that he'll get a low, but lucrative deal. By that, I mean a deal that is less than $7 mill per year.

Troy Brown redux??

One thing for sure, CT...we'll never have to worry about the Rats trying to sign him...after all, they already have 53 better players than any player on the Pats and with Brady in the "twilight" of career, why would they try to grab another aging vet and go through the Mason debacle again?

He's not going back to Miami...why would he?

Buffalo would never pay him what he's worth.

Nah, I think they keep him. He's a good little system receiver and he compliments our little system QB pretty well.

Last edited:
Needs 80 receptions to become Patriots all time leader and in his 5th year with NE.

Probably ends up a few shy of it this year so he must come back!

tumblr_krubleth981qa7jbfo1_500.jpg

No man Homo Wes....... I swear.

he better ******* stay... he is our boy

As long as Welker doesn't get too demanding with this next contract, I don't see how a deal doesn't get done. Welker has great chemistry with Brady and has clearly become Brady's go to guy. Losing him would be devastating to the offense.

No news here. Both before and after reading that, we knew:

• Welker would gladly stay here for the same money he could make somewhere else.
  • Welker would gladly stay here for 1% less money than he could make somewhere else.
  • Welker would not gladly stay here for 80% less money than he could make somewhere else.

The only question is as to where he falls in the (1%, 80%) interval, and we have no new information about that.

I'd like to see them sign him now rather than wait for the season to end. This guy's got a great attitude and obviously his chemistry with Brady is off the charts. He is saying all the right things and his stance couldn't be any more different to Deion's a few years ago.

The only reason I mention Branch in this thread is because I remember how valuable he could have been in the year he left when the team had Reche Caldwell as its top option. If Welker for some reason is not signed next year and beyond, I think Brady would be faced with a similar situation as when Branch left. He could make it work for the most part but come playoff time when you're playing against the best, it just helps that much more to have a guy like Welker put you over the hump.

where would we be without Welker?

The front office needs to ask themselves this question.

It's pretty simple right now, don't disrespepect the effort and commitment he gives to this team, EVERY SINGLE PLAY...

A playmaking leader...

I think unless he takes a team friendly deal, he will be franchised. The fact is that he will be 32 next season and the Patriots are unlikely to give him a deal longer than 2-3 years.

What a coincidence, I want Welker to stay too...:)

4yr/$40MM, $18MM guaranteed.

I think unless he takes a team friendly deal, he will be franchised. The fact is that he will be 32 next season and the Patriots are unlikely to give him a deal longer than 2-3 years.

He will love that ... right the franchise number is close to 10 million.
so next year say even its 11 million in a 1yr is more than he made in last 4 yrs.

slot receivers tend to last longer then outside guys with age, plus he did not play for a few years in NFL and is better /quicker now.

5yr deal with 18-20 million will get it done and he will retire with brady.

Sign the beast!

He'll be 31 next season.

A 4 year deal is good. 4 yr 30 million.

It's not my fault that you people in Israel don't like dogs.

What is that got to do with anything? it wasnt funny, you think WW would like to see NE fans look at him like he was a dog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back