PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trading Ryan Mallett in the Off - Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absent control of football ops which already rests with another that job is a killer. In a hard nosed and generally competitive (at least 2 team) division where if you prevail you get to butt heads with the mentor...

As third choice Josh would be an idiot to take the bait. He's only likely to ever get one more shot at HC'ing in this league.

Very, very true. Baltimore and Pittsburgh both have their problems and may be ready for a downswing, but there's still more than enough competition in the AFC North to make it far from easy. McDaniels needs to be very selective about his next head coaching opportunity.

Last edited:
As for Lombardi, who likes all things Belichick, Bedard was just reminded by a tweeter that another Ohio native was on the Lombardi radar. A guy identified and tracked by the Ohio familial coaching connection from the time he was just in highschool.

Greg A. Bedard‏@GregABedard

& Hoyer could still be good if in new system in March “@M__Kelleher: Lombardi said he would have traded for Hoyer if he was made 49ers GM.”

;)

Sounds like a connect the dots exercise. Saban's mindset is instructive here:

"Independently, Saban, who has built a national powerhouse at Alabama, is believed to be Haslam’s first choice to coach the Browns. ... There is one rumor that Haslam is prepared to offer Saban a $100 million deal over 10 years to coach the Browns. ....Two sources who know Saban have told me that Saban is leaning toward staying at Alabama and if he ever sought to scratch that NFL itch again, it would not be in Cleveland."

Absent control of football ops which already rests with another that job is a killer. In a hard nosed and generally competitive (at least 2 team) division where if you prevail you get to butt heads with the mentor...

As third choice Josh would be an idiot to take the bait. He's only likely to ever get one more shot at HC'ing in this league.

Saban should be positioning himself to succeed Belichick. Great ownership, dismal division, great coaching line of assistants-in-waiting, great tradition. If he can handle the crucible of Alabama football succeeding legends like Bear Bryant, he can handle the scene up here.

So we could realistically see the Browns start Mallett and have Hoyer battle Weeden for the #2 spot.

I think Browns fans would be okay with Mallett throwing the ball to Josh Gordon.

Interestingly, while Cassel was really struggling this year, his numbers are still better than Quinn's.

It's not that interesting. Quinn is hot garbage :p

Saban should be positioning himself to succeed Belichick. Great ownership, dismal division, great coaching line of assistants-in-waiting, great tradition. If he can handle the crucible of Alabama football succeeding legends like Bear Bryant, he can handle the scene up here.

Nick Saban was born 10-31-51 which makes him 61 years old while BB was born 4-16-52.

Saban is a year older; we would probably want a younger candidate.

This has been said by others before, but the time doesn't work out for Mallett to be Brady's heir.

Brady's 35 and playing at an insane level. If he retires at 40, you really think Mallett will be the backup for seven straight years?

I already noted that in a separate post. If Brady maintains his level of play, it's unlikely Mallett will be around long enough to succeed him.

What would I want from Cleveland for Mallett ?

Their #1 in 2014 or their #3 in 2013 and #2 in 2014. They have no #2 in 2013.

Before anyone blasts me and says that's too much, I'm very happy to keep a cheap, talented QB like Mallett for two more years. And I like Mallett better than any of the QB coming out in this draft with the possible exception of his former Arky teammate, Tyler Wilson.

Before anyone blasts me and says that's too much, I'm very happy to keep a cheap, talented QB like Mallett for two more years. And I like Mallett better than any of the QB coming out in this draft with the possible exception of his former Arky teammate, Tyler Wilson.

That sounds about right. Especially if they plan to make Mallett their "franchise" guy.

Re: Trading Mallett in the Off - Season

That sounds about right. Especially if they plan to make Mallett their "franchise" guy.

Agreed, especially if he is coming in to take the place of a guy drafted in the 1st round just one year ago.

Why is it that guys with that name are stud athletes, intelligent and so good looking?

You never send me flowers, private messages or the like...:confused:

Love the new av, by the way.

1 ~ Love your original Avatar, and greatly appreciate its persistent presence. :D

2 ~ My Humble Apologies: The lack of Private M's & Flowers is of course because I find your intoxicating beauty ~ I assume that Avatar is a photo of your own self ;) ~ intimidating. :eek:

3 ~ I am an enormous Fan of people who love that Avatar!! I have felt a visceral connection with Brother Harrow since the day he joined that remarkable Show. :cool:

I have only read the last 4 pages so pardon me if I go over stuff that was covered before.

1. Mallett has more value to the Pats as their back up next year, than he does as trade bait.

2. No one will give us a 3rd round pick or better for Mallet until he gets at least 2 regular season games on film and does well. We'd be fortunate to get a 6th right now. So unless he's our QB for the next 2 games and excels, you can forget about trading him this off season.

3. I find it funny that people would suggest Mallet to Cleveland in a trade. Remember last April,. I thought it would have made great sense for Cleveland to trade their 2nd round pick for Mallett, since I thought he was a better prospect than Weeden. He was also a younger and had a year in a good NFL offense. People thought I was nuts. Weeden hasn't been awful, but I still say it would have been a better deal for, Cleveland who could have used their #1 pick on an offensive skill player they so desperately need.

4. Josh McDaniel is going NOWHERE! BB didn't rehire him to be a one year rental. The only reason he let him go the first time was because he BOB ready to step in. There IS no back up ready right now. That's why I'm sure there is some agreement with Josh that he's here for at least a couple more years before he goes HC hunting again. He needs to train his replacement.

And if that isn't enough, the Denver stink still is on him, and he need more time for that to fade. Besides I doubt the new owner could sell ANOTHER BB disciple to the Brown's marketplace. (Though I thought Romeo was given a raw deal.)

5. The way Cleveland has played so hard for their coach this year, he deserves another shot. Changing coaches so often isn't good for any team. Right now they probably need some continuity. more than anything else

Last edited:
2. No one will give us a 3rd round pick or better for Mallet until he gets at least 2 regular season games on film and does well.
Right, because the scramble for QB in every draft is based on the multiple games in the NFL they've played.

This year's QB group is icky at best. We may not get what Bill would want to trade him for but we'd get more than a #3.

He's starting because Cassel was playing lousy enough to be pulled. There's a legitimate question as to whether Cassel is done or he can be fixed. I noted that earlier. That's not what you were talking about, though, when I initially responded to you.

Interestingly, while Cassel was really struggling this year, his numbers are still better than Quinn's.

The Cassel quandry...

a) 2008/10 seasons were flukes and he's simply regressed to the mean

b) The KC situation for some perverse reason ruined a halfway decent QB
........b1) irrevocably
........b2) temporarily

c) He's a decent NFL backup given quality coaching and support cast

Given that Matty likely isn't a Chief in 2013, I wonder if RAC et. al. will be frank with BB in their assessment of what's up with Matt in their opinion. I bet BB will want to kick the tires via phone at least.

Right, because the scramble for QB in every draft is based on the multiple games in the NFL they've played.

This year's QB group is icky at best. We may not get what Bill would want to trade him for but we'd get more than a #3.
Cmon Bfan. You be the GM and try and sell Mallett to your fans for a 1st or 2nd round pick????!!!!! Based on WHAT? The 2 passes, zero completions, and one pick he has thus far this year.

Understand I am a Mallett fan. I think he CAN be a starting NFL QB in this league. BUT convince an NFL fan market? Guys like Moore, Campbell, Henne. etc have multiple 300+ yd games on their resumes. Guys you can draft with that pick are cheap now and give great hope, the way QB's are coming into the league now.

Mallett is a guy who has NO onfield experience and would be going into a contract year. So if you trade for him, you not only lose that valuable pick, if he works out he's going to cost you a big contract for a guy who has done it just one year. That's a huge risk, where even if you hit, it would be expensive.

Kolb, Shaub, and Flynn all had created value because they a couple of good games on tape. Something to base a claim for success on. To date Mallett has nothing. Until he does, he will be more valuable to the Pats than he will with some other team.

Cmon Bfan. You be the GM and try and sell Mallett to your fans for a 1st or 2nd round pick????!!!!! Based on WHAT? The 2 passes, zero completions, and one pick he has thus far this year.
Then go ahead and draft Matt Barkley or Geno Smith in the 1st round because of the extensive NFL experience they have.

Would someone trade a high pick for him ? Maybe not. I'm just saying there's no reason to trade him for less and the logic that he hasn't got extensive NFL film is lacking when you look at the draft. Where is their NFL film ? And there's no Luck nor RGIII in this draft.

Then go ahead and draft Matt Barkley or Geno Smith in the 1st round because of the extensive NFL experience they have.

Would someone trade a high pick for him ? Maybe not. I'm just saying there's no reason to trade him for less and the logic that he hasn't got extensive NFL film is lacking when you look at the draft. Where is their NFL film ? And there's no Luck nor RGIII in this draft.

1.) His poor play in his brief stints during the exhibition games is a reason to do just that.

2.) Guys pining on NFL benches are generally of less value than guys who can be molded by the team from day one. They need to overcome this by actually showing something in NFL games.

Last edited:
1.) His poor play in his brief stints during the exhibition games is a reason to do just that.

2.) Guys pining on NFL benches are generally of less value than guys who can be molded by the team from day one. They need to overcome this by actually showing something in NFL games.
Regarding preseason, he would have looked better, most likely, had he been throwing to Gronk, AHern, Welker.

In terms of value, Mallett is an unusual case. He was probably a top ten talent, second among QB in that draft only to Newton. Certainly above low ceiling guys like Ponder. We all know he slipped due to concerns about his personality and drug rumors but with no failed drug tests and not a peep about any behavioral issues we're in uncharted waters in assessing his value.

All I know is I wouldn't trade him for less than a high #2 and I would probably want more. Can't get it ? Keep the cheap, talented backup for two years and see where things stand at the end of 2014.

Mallett's body of work as a collegian showed that he had 1st round ability but off-the-field concerns about character / work ethic / shadowy rumors of him possibly imbibing in certain substances drove him way way down the draft board.

Two years hasn't taken away any of the ability.

Two years with no hints of off-the-field issues greatly diminishes the major knock against him, though.

I don't think selling your fan base on using a 2nd round pick, for example, on a guy who put up the numbers that he did under coach Petrino, in the SEC, with a system that wasn't some gimmicky offense either, is all that difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back