PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trading Ryan Mallett in the Off - Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
no thanks on cassell

with him the pats are a 5-6 win team right now.....

stick with mallett......

I know there are plenty around here that don't like him, but he is absolutely the best option for a backup and a future starting QB

1 ~ I think that Mallet's potential Trade Value does indeed come from what looks like a pretty barren QuarterBack Class: Supply & Demand working far more strongly in our favor than it would've, this past OffSeason.

2 ~ Even so, it's hard to imagine a great furor for'is services, if he doesn't pick up a Quarter or two later this month, and show some competence.

3 ~ But I wouldn't be surprised if somebody out there ~ one Head Coach is all it would take ~ doesn't get a little desperate, start watching old Tape of Mallett slinging it for Arkansas...make note of the fact that he has been a good, contributing Soldier who's gotten in good shape and gotten a Practice Player of the Week Award or two ~ large in the Intangibles Department ~ and talk themselves into making a play for'm.

Hoyer won many practice player of the week awards while running the scout team and backing up the franchise. Mallett has won a couple this season, but like his one last season I think they were Sanchise games...

Head coaches do get desperate, and they tend to have egos that believe they could have done better with a player. That said, the track record for BB trained TFB understudies isn't great because we play an offense no one else does on a team already built to win. That creates a fear that skillset won't transfer.

I know Bill has always wanted to do what GB did early on in developing QB's as trading chips. Thing is when you're fielding a GOAT and running a unique program and you can't be bothered showcasing players because you're too focused on winning...it just doesn't lend itself to generating trade bait.

What becomes more significant is getting a viable backup trained to run the system just in case. I don't think we have that since Hoyer departed.

Tremendous Points, Sir. Please check your PMessages. :cool:

:confused:

Cassel took the Chiefs to the division title in 2010

That's been his only noteworthy achievement.

In the other 3 seasons he has been 4-12, 7-9, and this year 2-12. Assuming he wins out, he will be 4-12 twice under two different coaches and systems, which I believe renders moot the argument that the blame lies with either the system or the coach.

This has been said by others before, but the time doesn't work out for Mallett to be Brady's heir.

Brady's 35 and playing at an insane level. If he retires at 40, you really think Mallett will be the backup for seven straight years?

I would love for that scenario to work out, and for us to have that problem. We will see.

Tremendous Points, Sir. Please check your PMessages. :cool:

You never send me flowers, private messages or the like...:confused:

Love the new av, by the way.

That's been his only noteworthy achievement.

In the other 3 seasons he has been 4-12, 7-9, and this year 2-12. Assuming he wins out, he will be 4-12 twice under two different coaches and systems, which I believe renders moot the argument that the blame lies with either the system or the coach.

It makes a strong argument for him needing a decent OC/QB coach, but not much more than that. Also, going by record is a terrible measurement, particularly given just how bad that team was when he got there. However, even going by wins, this is the first year there where anything suprising has happened:

From 2 wins to 4 with the late regime switch, the horrendous team personnel, and the chaotic first year
From 4 wins to 10 with Weis there
The almost inevitable fall back year, to 7-9, after the huge jump year and with Cassel getting injured mid-season and Charles, Moeaki and Berry getting injured at the start of the year.

This year's collapse is the only surprising situation, and it's abundantly clear that the collapse hasn't just been because of Cassel. The defense has fallen from 12th to 25th, for example.

Last edited:
It makes a strong argument for him needing a decent OC/QB coach, but not much more than that. Also, going by record is a terrible measurement, particularly given just how bad that team was when he got there. However, even going by wins, this is the first year there where anything suprising has happened:

From 2 wins to 4 with the late regime switch, the horrendous team personnel, and the chaotic first year
From 4 wins to 10 with Weis there
The almost inevitable fall back year, to 7-9, after the huge jump year and with Cassel getting injured mid-season and Charles, Moeaki and Berry getting injured at the start of the year.

This year's collapse is the only surprising situation, and it's abundantly clear that the collapse hasn't just been because of Cassel. The defense has fallen from 12th to 25th, for example.

Those are all probably good factors. My question to you then is why is Brady Quinn starting now? Cassel had his concussion earlier in the season, and by all means should have returned by now.

Who would be our backup QB then?
The reason BB cut Hoyer is he obviously felt that Mallet had earned the #2 spot.

Mallet cost us a 3rd round pick, SO unless we are getting a 1st rounder for him, and we WONT, there's no sense in trading away your #2 QB with nobody behind him familiar with our system and ready to go for an emergency situation.

Those are all probably good factors. My question to you then is why is Brady Quinn starting now? Cassel had his concussion earlier in the season, and by all means should have returned by now.

He's starting because Cassel was playing lousy enough to be pulled. There's a legitimate question as to whether Cassel is done or he can be fixed. I noted that earlier. That's not what you were talking about, though, when I initially responded to you.

Interestingly, while Cassel was really struggling this year, his numbers are still better than Quinn's.

Last edited:
Mallett has very little value. Remember, we drafted him in the 3rd round and he hasn't really shown very much (not that he's been given a chance, thank god). It's a different scenario if some other team drafted him, we pick him up, make him look like gold and then trade him. We're better off keeping and evaluating him/bringing him along.

He cut Hoyer to keep Mallett as a backup on a potential SB contending team ( Brady misses a few games with a concussion for example).

BB's actions speak rather eloquently, and much louder than our words. We can be sure that he watches tape of his reps in practice and is intimately aware of his progress, potential and whether he can run the O.

I wouldnt put too much stock in that, BB has spoken well of players he then releases the next week. I have a feeling that what he says about a player is because of the effect it'll have on them rather than what he truely thinks.

Last edited:
LOL........can't stop hatin' on mallett

Hoyer won many practice player of the week awards while running the scout team and backing up the franchise. Mallett has won a couple this season, but like his one last season I think they were Sanchise games...

Head coaches do get desperate, and they tend to have egos that believe they could have done better with a player. That said, the track record for BB trained TFB understudies isn't great because we play an offense no one else does on a team already built to win. That creates a fear that skillset won't transfer.

I know Bill has always wanted to do what GB did early on in developing QB's as trading chips. Thing is when you're fielding a GOAT and running a unique program and you can't be bothered showcasing players because you're too focused on winning...it just doesn't lend itself to generating trade bait.

What becomes more significant is getting a viable backup trained to run the system just in case. I don't think we have that since Hoyer departed.

Arizona would be a perfect fit for him and Arizona could really use him in their system with the receiving core they have. Arizona is in a very poor situation regarding QBs. I highly doubt they take another QB high out of USC after the Leinart debacle and Geno Smith will be overdrafted by a team infront of them. Alex Smith could be an option or even Matt Flynn but as I pointed out many teams need a QB

Trade him even up for Calais Campbell. :D Or Patrick Peterson. :D:D

Seriously, there are very few options for all of the teams that need QB help:

- Alex Smith. Proven starter, though with limited upside. He'll no doubt want to be a starter, and SF is going to stick with Kaepernick, so he'll move on. Someone will overpay.

- Matt Flynn. Never proven as a starter. Got a fairly large contract and then couldn't hold off Russell Wilson for the starting job. But in a bleak market, someone may try to pry him loose from Seattle, who will ask for a lot.

- Joe Flacco. Baltimore is stuck with him - kind of a mini version of Sanchez. They're terrified of giving him a big contract, and terrified of losing him and having nothing. I'm guessing they'll franchise him to hold on to his rights, and probably evaluate him for another year.

- Matt Moore, Tavaris Jackson, Jason Campbell. None have proven themselves to be capable of being long term starters for a winning team.

- Drew Stanton. Showed nice flashes as a backup in NY and Indy, but has never had a chance to prove much.

- A motley NFL draft crew with no one who can be assumed to provide an immediate starting impact.

And then there's Mallett, who has as much upside as any of them. It all depends on who has beauty in the eye of the beholder.

He's starting because Cassel was playing lousy enough to be pulled. There's a legitimate question as to whether Cassel is done or he can be fixed. I noted that earlier. That's not what you were talking about, though, when I initially responded to you.

Interestingly, while Cassel was really struggling this year, his numbers are still better than Quinn's.

What was I allegedly talking about other than pointing out that Cassel is not an NFL caliber QB (as in, starting QB)?

Interesting piece from Bedard about Lombardi/McDaniels, I'll quote just the relevant piece to this thread :

Will Josh McDaniels be Cleveland bound? - Extra Points - Boston.com

"One more log to throw on the fire: those two initial sources said that if Lombardi and McDaniels indeed team up in Cleveland, the chances are good that they will attempt to trade for Patriots backup quarterback Ryan Mallett and install him as the franchise quarterback. Brandon Weeden would be out, or in a backup role."

Interesting piece from Bedard about Lombardi/McDaniels, I'll quote just the relevant piece to this thread :

"One more log to throw on the fire: those two initial sources said that if Lombardi and McDaniels indeed team up in Cleveland, the chances are good that they will attempt to trade for Patriots backup quarterback Ryan Mallett and install him as the franchise quarterback. Brandon Weeden would be out, or in a backup role."

Beat me to it. Mallett would be very ready for that role. Would love to see what Lombardi-McD would be willing to give up ...

Cleveland...where former genius BB protoges go to effectively kill their careers... I have a feeling a lot of this is spin to get Lombardi a gig. I know Josh is a native of the area. But to residents of the dawg pound and the cleveland media he's just another Belichick flunky. And ditto Lombardi from that perspective, although he never caught on at any of the future outposts...

There are already so many layers to the command structure in Cleveland that the HC and Player Personnel guy (and reportedly that is all the cache they'd give Lombardi, not GM as there is already a management structure in place calling all the shots for a rookie owner) would be like sitting duck targets. It seems as clear as it ever can be with Saban that he wants no part of Cleveland. Josh would be advised to reach a similar conclusion. Bill always tells them unless you control your own destiny (total control of football ops) you're probably destined to end up as collateral damage. Saban seemingly secured that in Miami, although he now claims even the docs could over rule him...

If this happens it's another example of why franchises like this fail. In three straight seasons two different coaches and three different QBs. I don't think given that roster that Shurmur has done a bad job and you just spent a high draft pick on Weeden right after you spent a 3rd on McCoy and a first on Quinn. They have zero consistency through out the entire organization. They are too reactionary with out a long term plan and just continue to go with the flavor of the week.

Maybe this happens and Josh and Lombardi do go there but they better have success quickly or it will somebody else by 2015.

Sounds like a connect the dots exercise. Saban's mindset is instructive here:

"Independently, Saban, who has built a national powerhouse at Alabama, is believed to be Haslam’s first choice to coach the Browns. ... There is one rumor that Haslam is prepared to offer Saban a $100 million deal over 10 years to coach the Browns. ....Two sources who know Saban have told me that Saban is leaning toward staying at Alabama and if he ever sought to scratch that NFL itch again, it would not be in Cleveland."

Absent control of football ops which already rests with another that job is a killer. In a hard nosed and generally competitive (at least 2 team) division where if you prevail you get to butt heads with the mentor...

As third choice Josh would be an idiot to take the bait. He's only likely to ever get one more shot at HC'ing in this league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back